2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wasatch Front overnighter early May?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 4:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

May and June can be tricky months in Utah for overnighters, especially the change-clothes-at-work-Friday-night-hike-a-few-then-camp type. The Uintas and Wasatch canyons are either still snowed in, or often have dangerous stream crossings due to runoff if you can find something down low.
But I have just such a weekend slot that has opened up. I don't see much near where I work that won't put us in snow within a few miles. But by driving an hour north, I see a trailhead at Mueller Park above Bountiful where the trail doesn't climb so high we would be dealing with a ton of snow, and Saturday we could hike to an overlook of the City Creek canyon.
It does seem that the most popular camping area is called Ruby's Flat. It might be tricky to get that far before nightfall. If anyone has hiked this trail before, are there other areas to throw down a small tent before you get that far in? Dry camping isn't an issue.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
LuckySomer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 4:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a Trail up to Horsetail Falls out of alpine.  There are camp sites within 500 yards of the wilderness trail head (5200ft) and a few sites on the north side of the creek.  (there is a log bridge crossing)
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. If I was going on a quick overnight with the scouts, Dry Creek out of Alpine would be a good choice. Problem right now is that it appears, at least from my house, that Horsetail Falls is still well above the snow line, and with the temps this weekend being in the 70's even at that elevation, it would be more slush shoeing than snow. Yuck. Plus, it seems that there is nothing to do Saturday morn than just come back down. Looking for a trail that doesn't take me right to the snow.
Also looking at Grove Creek to Battle Creek and back down to PG, though completing the loop would mean a couple of miles walking streets in residential areas. Might get the cops called on us for vagrancy or something. :-)

--------------
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2014, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I did it last weekend. Great hike for this time of year. We got lucky in finding a flat spot big enough for a small tent right after crossing the last reliable water for a few miles. Hiked up to the top of the ridge the next morning. Based on the number of fire rings at "Rubys Flats", that's where most people camp, but you are looking at a dry camping situation for sure, no springs or creeks for the last four miles to the top. And with a starting elevation of 5400 feet and the top at 7200, late spring is the perfect time to go. Way too hot in the summer, lots of snow in the winter, still a few patches left last weekend, but temps were pleasantly cool at all elevations.
It sure is a popular trail with the mountain biking crowd. Probably saw a hundred riders between the two days, along with a lot of casual hikers along the lower stretches heading for Elephant Rock, the chief landmark.

--------------
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
3 replies since Apr. 21 2014, 4:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wasatch Front overnighter early May?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions