2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wolf creek pass to steamboat, Colorado CDT< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dcasey Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 2:20 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking to do wolf creek to steamboat mid June, and I have found surprisingly little research online for this part of the CDT (campsites, re-supply areas, trail conditions, etc.), and I'm wondering if someone has done this recently and has some beta for me. I've done the High Sierra and John Muir, but this will be my maiden Rockies voyage.
Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For this year, it is looking like mid-June will be too early to do that one.  Too much snow will be there into July, including some sketchy sections of trail on day 2 heading north from Wolf Creek Pass.  Try starting around July 10th and taking a month to month and a half from then.

Resupply areas:
Silverton
Creede (Lake City alternate)
Salida or Buena Vista
Copper Mountain
Granby (alternate)
Grand Lake
Steamboat Springs

Trail Conditions:
Mostly excellent and easy to follow to Grand Lake
I have not done the stretch from Grand Lake to Rabbit Ears Pass near Steamboat

Campsites:
I never had a problem finding one.
Some were better than others.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 3
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of many links I have seen.....
http://www.trailquest.net/CDTplanning.html

Has link for resupply address (PO's General Delivery)
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info. Is the wolf creek area the problem, or is the entire route difficult with snow? I was also eyeing Monarch pass as a start point. I have a shuttle opportunity at the end of june, but it looks like maybe too early for the conditions this year.
Much appreciated.
 Post Number: 5
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wolf Creek Summit Snotel well below normal:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc....TERYEAR

That said El Nino is apparently strolling in so snow could pile up for a while yet. As Burntfoot recommends second week of July is generally a good starting time for the Rockies.

Have you not bought the CDT Guidebook?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 7:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Apr. 27 2014, 8:56 pm)
Have you not bought the CDT Guidebook?

Are you referring to the Yogi's Guide? If so, I will get it.
 Post Number: 7
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The snow in the Central Colorado mountains is even more than at Wolf Creek, and we just got another significant snow this weekend.

You can follow what is happening on a regular basis:

http://www.snowforecast.com/resorts/4412-wolf-creek-ski-area

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 8
RandallW201 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any links to webcams and extra info a little further west? Like the Conejos/Platoro area?

The snowtel sites appear to show below average snow pack for the Platoro area, just a few miles away. But I keep getting different readings with it every time I visit the site. I think something is amiss.

--------------
I'm goin' backpackin' cause I ain't gettin' any younger!
 Post Number: 9
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is snowing in the central mountains right now.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 10
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Central and Northern ranges are buried under 125-150 % normal snow pack.

In a "normal" year, I wouldn't recommend attempting it before the 4th of July. This year, who knows ?

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, but the southern ranges are what appears to be only half their normal snow pack.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Down south is less than average snow pack, but is definitely higher than 50%.  I would say 70-80% on average, and it increases as you go north.  This last storm really raised the percentage.

In addition, the Snowtel sites in the San Juans are mostly at lower elevations than the CDT, so are not necessarily a good gauge.

I would agree with everyone here.  To try the CDT in June would be ill advised.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I'll give it a pass. Unfortunately, I leave at the beginning of July for the Tour de Mont Blanc, so I'm looking for some distance and altitude to get back into alpine mode (I moved to ft worth, tx), so maybe I'll look for other options. Any good 5-7 day loops that are doable in June? I've got cramps, ice axe, etc., and willing to try NM, but I hear the recent fires really tore up the forest there. Thanks again.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dcasey @ Apr. 29 2014, 12:20 pm)
I guess I'll give it a pass. Unfortunately, I leave at the beginning of July for the Tour de Mont Blanc, so I'm looking for some distance and altitude to get back into alpine mode (I moved to ft worth, tx), so maybe I'll look for other options. Any good 5-7 day loops that are doable in June? I've got cramps, ice axe, etc., and willing to try NM, but I hear the recent fires really tore up the forest there. Thanks again.

Hey, welcome to Cowtown. I'm from Ft. Worth as well.

Based on everything I'm seeing with the snows I'm still going to the S. San Juans in late June. There are plenty of loops around there to keep you busy. Look up Elk Creek and Three Forks of the Conejos between Chama, NM and Antonito, Co.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dcasey @ Apr. 29 2014, 12:20 pm)

The west side of the Colorado Sangres might be a good option for mid June this year. There's some beautiful country and looping possibilities in the area extending north along the ridge crest from North Crestone Creek. You could also hike to Willow Lake (a few miles south of there) and climb Mt. Adams and Kit Carson Mt.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks so much, and I will hit these areas up. I actually have property near the sangres, so I'm gonna go for it. I live in Ridgmar, btw, so that's about all the mountains I get now. Haha! Little different than having the sierras right there.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Much different than the Sierras or Sangres, lol...

--------------
 Post Number: 18
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snow levels have come up significantly in the Sangres, not very far below "normal" now last time I checked. Kit Carson's prow will be an adventure if you're too early. Willow Lake is one of my favorite places and should ice off earlier in June barring epic storms in the interim.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, all. I'm going to go for it. Looks like Mt Yale is a good hike up too?
 Post Number: 20
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dcasey @ Apr. 29 2014, 1:20 pm)

Have you not discovered the Pecos Wilderness in NM? That was my go-to spot in June when I lived near Ft. Worth. Did a couple of different week-long trips there, in fact I backpacked there maybe a dozen times and probably didn't see half of it. You'll have a little snow, but not dangerous amounts like trying to hike the CO CDT in June.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done some fly fishing in the Pecos. Any areas in particular you would suggest?
 Post Number: 22
elsalmon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey,  Does anyone know if the CDT across the Weminuche Wilderness, Wolf Creek Pass to Stony Pass, will be open this year…  It was closed because of the fires over the CD last summer ???
 Post Number: 23
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2014, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's open.  It was only closed during the fires.  Once they were out, the trail was opened again.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wolf Creek Pass Webcam

Another Wolf Creek Pass Webcam

Click on each picture here to open even more webcams
Pagosa Springs Webcams

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 02 2014, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Apr. 29 2014, 2:02 pm)
[/quote]
The west side of the Colorado Sangres might be a good option for mid June this year. There's some beautiful country and looping possibilities in the area extending north along the ridge crest from North Crestone Creek. You could also hike to Willow Lake (a few miles south of there) and climb Mt. Adams and Kit Carson Mt.

Looks like I'll be heading there in about a week. I just found out, however, that I have to ship my ice axe, crampons, etc. to Chamonix for my Mont Blanc trip. I'm interested in summiting the peaks you mentioned. Can I get by with poles and micro-spikes?
24 replies since Apr. 27 2014, 2:20 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wolf creek pass to steamboat
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions