2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Who Has Plans in the Winds This Year?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2014, 12:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am heading to the Winds the first two weeks of September.  Leaving out of Elkhart Park and heading over the divide in search of goldens.  Where are you headed?

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2014, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beartooths again this year, 1st week of August. Leaving out of Island Lake TH this time, Becker, Albino, Jasper, Triskele, then west to Crystal and around. At least that's the plan. We only have 5 trail days this year, so we'll see what we can do.
 Post Number: 3
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Be there right before you.....We will try to leave some fish.  We're headed to Dry Creek lks for a few days via Elkhart, then up across and thru Bear Basin and out via Green River TH.   How about you?
 Post Number: 4
vigilguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Jun. 24 2014, 4:33 pm)
Be there right before you.....We will try to leave some fish.  We're headed to Dry Creek lks for a few days via Elkhart, then up across and thru Bear Basin and out via Green River TH.   How about you?

Headed over North Indian Pass? Post photos!
 Post Number: 5
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe this will be the year I do a couple of nights in the Winds. Maybe not. If I do it would likely be Ross Lakes or Bomber Lake. Truth be told I'm into dayhiking lesser travelled Teton drainages, truck camping and dayhiking in the Southern Absaroka and Gros Ventre/Leidy Highlands.  You guys scare me way to much.

Have a great summer out there folks.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 6
OldBill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be up the 2 weeks after Labor Day.  Depending on weather, fires, etc. plan for Faler via Roaring Fk or possibly Clear L via bushwacking.  May try to get to Flying Monkey (or at least Golden) again, but probably it's too much for this old flatlander, especially solo.  Where ever, it's always fun.  In between, fishing the upper Green and Wind R around Dubois.
 Post Number: 7
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like there's still quite a bit of snow in the Winds.  I know by mid July the trip reports start showing up.  Will be interesting to see how much is still there. Article: Still a lot of Snow in the High Country. Photo is on Pinedaleonline.com.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 8
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarpon6 @ Jul. 07 2014, 7:15 pm)
Sounds like there's still quite a bit of snow in the Winds.  I know by mid July the trip reports start showing up.  Will be interesting to see how much is still there. Article: Still a lot of Snow in the High Country.

Well, that's interesting. I must not be interpreting the NOAA data correctly. It appears there is essentially no snow west of the divide (SWE or snow depth overlays). The overlay I prefer (snow depth departure from normal) hasn't been updated since April 30 for some reason. At that time, it showed the same area way below normal while east of the divide (northern third) and the upper Green River valley (and parts NW of it) were way above.

Is there something in the SNOTEL site I should be looking at instead to give me a more accurate idea of current conditions?

Plan to be there in 2 weeks with my young son and this may affect route choice as we have no snow travel gear. My preference is to make a loop from Green River to Baker and Bear Lakes. My other option was loop from Elkhart to Wall and Elbow Lakes roughly.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2014, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

virgilguy..... Yes we are, planning two days over there.  Always have pics....
 Post Number: 10
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2014, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a photo from somebodies TR at one of my rock climbing forums.

Taken June 21,2014, the Cirque of the Towers.

Another TR with photos from the 4th of July. Taken from the Wolfs Head looking back towards Jackass Pass and the Deep Lk area.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
9 replies since Jun. 22 2014, 12:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Who Has Plans in the Winds This Year?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions