2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Crater Lake ideas, and nearby areas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2011, 2:12 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm from PA and will be visiting Crater Lake next week.  I'll be car camping, but looking for hikes to do.  Any trails in the park or nearby I shouldn't miss?  

I'm also stopping Oregon Caves- any trails in that area I should check out?  Thank you.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2011, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hike to the top of Mt Scott, great views.  Drive down to the Pinnacles, worth the time.  Make sure to do the boat trip, and get off on Wizard Island, and walk to the top.
 Post Number: 3
wolverinez Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2011, 10:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The car camping options are limited in the park, but this page has the break-down:

Crater Lake Car Camping

If you want to be farther away from people, get to Lost Creek early, set up camp and pay for your site immediately (trust me, people will take it if you have nothing on it. Both campgrounds are beautiful as is the entire area.

--------------
Clickable Yellowstone camping map
Clickable Lassen Volcanic NP camping map
 Post Number: 4
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2011, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Watchman is a reasonably easy day hike with spectacular views.

Garfield Mountain is longer and more taxing, but also an excellent view.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Bad Karma Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2011, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wizard Island for sure and x2 on the pinnacles.  There are a bunch of summits (some already mentioned) that are good options.  There's a waterfall trail (plaikin or something).  Cool falls but tourons are there.

--------------
http://www.oceanmountainsky.com/
 Post Number: 6
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Their backcountry policy seems to imply you can disperse camp nearly anywhere (within the stated guidelines), but off-trail travel is not normally the case in a NP unless it's also a designated wilderness area. My son wants to see CL so I'm looking into a LONG drive out that way.
 Post Number: 7
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2012, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I should add to my above inquiry about backcountry policy at CL, what else is a MUST SEE in southern OR or northern CA that boys might enjoy?

I'd prefer we spend more time in a few spots than less time in lots of spots (or driving a lot between them). Looks like the Oregon Caves could be neat and then head to Redwoods and then Lassen and head back east via Reno.

What else might we be missing?
 Post Number: 8
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2012, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lava Beds Natl Mon.   Check out the lava tubes.  It's hot there, but always nice underground.  It would be good on the way from Crater Lake to Lassen--descend to Klamath Falls and continue south.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
7 replies since Sep. 07 2011, 2:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Crater Lake ideas
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions