2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Denali NP< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2012, 5:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anybody have any experience at Denali NP? Dave wants me to meet him in Fairbanks at the end of September and go do 3-4 days of hiking in Denali. (Or another good area, if you suggest something else).

Could just do multiple day hikes or go for a loop or out-and-back trip.

Thanks,

Ray

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2012, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rayestrella

The end of september isn't a great option. The shuttle service on the road is closed, so they don't maintain the road. It's open to drive, but only as far as snowfall makes it drivable. By oct it could easily be closed to Teklanika, or even closer to the entrance.

You should be able to, I expect, drive to at least Savage River, and hike from there. I'd head south, and wander that area.

Even if they haven't had snow, and the road is open further in, you still run into the problem of a snowfall while you're on the trip, and dealing with the road closure once you get back to the vehicle.

If the road's open and clear, that time of year, my advice would be tattle creek (I forget the mile marker, maybe 40 or so?). You could drive to Igloo Ck campground, or Tek, park, and hike from there.

If it were me, I'd go to Wrangell - St. Elias where you'll have more options. The north side of the park, on the Nabesna Road, and hike Lost Creek Trail, or out to Soda Lake or somewhere like that.

Denali State Park and the Kesugi ridge is a good, easy, accessible option, off the Parks highway.

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2012, 7:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks WM,

You know I thought the snow season started in September. I am going to pass that on to Dave.

Thanks,

--------------
 Post Number: 4
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2012, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're welcome, Ray. If you guys have a car it's certainly worth keeping the Denali option open; some years snow might not close the road til much farther out, and much later. You could easily do that and keep something like the Kesugi Ridge as a backup plan.

--------------

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2012, 7:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah we will have a car, and Healy looks like a decent sized town, which is near the main entrance of Denali NP. We will plan on going from there.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2012, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"decent-sized"? hhhmmmm ..... it's pretty small.

If you want to camp, you could camp at Riley Creek, at the park entrance. Savage Campground will possibly be open then, too, which is quieter, at mile 13 inside the park.

There are a number of places available for accommodation right outside the park entrance, if you don't want to camp, but I'm not sure how many of them will still be open late Sept. Things close down around AK almost overnight, mid-sept.

Cheers

Carl

--------------

Post Number: 7
AwesomelyHumble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2012, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad I read this, I was going to be in AK Sep-Oct, and was hoping to get a hike or two in somewhere.  So mid-Sep is the tail end of hiking/backpacking?  I might have to start then...

How's the weather in Oct?  Is it already cold and snowing?
 Post Number: 8
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2012, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Humble

Up in the subalpine, almost certainly. Not impassable snowing for backpacking, but the issue with Denali is the road closure, limiting access.

Weather could be anything from 0-40 degrees at night in Oct. Last Oct I was on the coast, Yakutat got over 12" of snow one night toward the end of the month.

There's definitely still good backpacking to be had, it's just a narrower selection of locales to choose from.

Cheers

Carl

--------------

Post Number: 9
Ketoka Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2012, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AwesomelyHumble @ Jun. 14 2012, 11:50 pm)
Glad I read this, I was going to be in AK Sep-Oct, and was hoping to get a hike or two in somewhere. So mid-Sep is the tail end of hiking/backpacking? I might have to start then...

How's the weather in Oct? Is it already cold and snowing?

It depends, we usually start cross country skiing the end of October in south central Alaska.  Usually but not always.
8 replies since Jun. 06 2012, 5:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Denali NP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions