2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Eagle Cap< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2012, 10:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for some advice on the Wallowa Lake area for day hiking. I have one day during a family reunion that my wife says I can get out and have fun. My plan is to hike up to Ice Lake and hopefully continue up to tag the summit of the Matterhorn. I just want to be sure there is nothing Day hikeable that would be more worthwhile.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2012, 12:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you need to start at the Wallowa Lake trailhead, that's probably gonna be hard to beat.  Disclaimer:  I've never actually been to Ice Lake, just seen the pictures.  But I've been up both the east and west forks of the Wallowa River and, though there's really nice stuff both ways, it's a good bit farther through relatively unremarkable forest.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2012, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(texasbb @ Jun. 22 2012, 12:53 am)
If you need to start at the Wallowa Lake trailhead, that's probably gonna be hard to beat.  Disclaimer:  I've never actually been to Ice Lake, just seen the pictures.  But I've been up both the east and west forks of the Wallowa River and, though there's really nice stuff both ways, it's a good bit farther through relatively unremarkable forest.

Thanks for the info.

I've been lurking at Portland Hikers for a while now and read the threads about the area there. Given my time restrictions I was also considering Aneroid Lake.

My goal was to get to some good alpine conditions and Ice Lake with a possible Matterhorn summit seems to fir the bill. I'll just get up at 5 on July 5th and try to beat the drunks on horses up the trail.
 Post Number: 4
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya I would go to either Ice lake or instead head towards Glacier Lake or the Lake Basin area(Might
not get there in just a day hike but might get to Frazier lake) instead of Aneroid Lake. Why?
Well unlike Washington and the Mount Hood area the snowpack in Eagle Cap is pretty low and Aneroid Lake
area seems to get less snow than Ice Lake and the Glacier Lake/Lakes Basin Area and so if you're
like me and like your scenery with more runoff and more snow on your mountains then I would go for
Ice lake or head towards Glacier Lake/Lakes Basin area.

Oh and BTW on the trail that splits to Ice Lake, you will come across a section of the trail that crosses
a river and it might appear that there is no way across but if you look a little closer there is a log
that should enable to cross(although you might have to cross carefully).  Water levels should be lower
than last year then again you're going about 3 weeks earlier than I did last year.

ya but portland hikers is the best hiking forum to ask these questions(haven't posting there in
a while. Damn I think I need to get back posting there)

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2012, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info Den.

I've been checking snotel pretty regular and it seems to show me getting there right after the thaw. Rangers say everything is snowed in and frozen, but the data proves otherwise.

The Matterhorn should be doable because the approach is South facing (I believe) and even if there is snow I'm confident I can handle it or know my limits.

I really want to find the hole in the rock between the Matterhorn and Sac.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2012, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Success! I'll be posting a TR in the next few days.
5 replies since Jun. 21 2012, 10:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Eagle Cap
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions