2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rainier Suggetions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BrettGordon Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2012, 2:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am extending a business trip to Seattle in 2 weeks and trying to get some hiking in.  This will be my first time in the area.  I was thinking of doing something near Rainier but am open to suggestions.  So what is the one day hike I can't miss?  Preferably something moderate, 6-12 miles or so would be good.

--------------
My Hiking, Trekking and Travel Pics and Videos
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2012, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well it looks like there is still a fair amount of snow left,

So if the weather is good I would go to Timberline, and if you don't have snow shoes, I would follow the climbers route up to or toward Pano Pt.  You MIGHT be able to do a whole loop following the Upper skyline trail with snow shoes and IF the steep parts have melted out, I did it on skis about a month ago, but I know the route, or at least how to check it out.  Sunrise and Chinnock Pass might be worth a stop and a stroll around.

If the weather is bad, plan to go the Grove of the Patriachs , and some lower waterfalls or maybe some hikes on the Carbon entrance (at least they are snow free).

Eagle Peak looks like an option in good weather, the site says just patchy snow on top, though if I remember right there are no views until the top.

Of course in 2 weeks some more things might open up, check with a ranger or on NWHikers
 Post Number: 3
WildBlue Search for posts by this member.
Proceed until apprehended

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2012, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, there is still plenty of snow, but no need for snowshoes right now.  It's melting fast at lower elevations, and is pretty consolidated and sun-cupped right now. If you follow a regular trail, like Skyline, the snow is packed in by all the boot traffic.
 Post Number: 4
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2012, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oops!  Timberline (Mt Hood) should be Paradise (Mt Rainier).

I agree if you can get on a trail with boot traffic you won't need snow shoes, that is why I suggest the climbers trail (first part of the Skyline).  

The other half may or may not be packed out, there weren't even ski tracks their a month ago.  And if you get on before it gets too soft you might not post hole too bad , but then it might be icy.  I suppose it could just be so consolidated that it won't matter how warm it gets?  My scrambling class we went with and without snow shoes, without can be  more work, but still doable.
 Post Number: 5
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2012, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are three car accessible areas to the Wonderland Trail  of Rainier.

From the west at Carbon Glacier,  the least visited in the park,  you could go counter clockwise into some good examples of most accessible very deep and ancient forests and clockwise through historic logging areas that have recovered and up toward Dick Creek and the lateral Moraines of Carbon Glacier.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.94487,-121.77735&z=14&t=T

From the same area Spray Park from Mowich Lake is very nice if late enough in the season to be below snow level (best in first part of Sept if good weather).

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.91715,-121.82173&z=14&t=T

In the main part of the park counter clockwise from Longmire up into Happy Henrys Hunting Ground and the idyllic ranger station at the edge of a glorious meadow is nice.

From Frying Pan Creek on the White River is Summer Land - it is spectacular.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.86770,-121.63127&z=14&t=T

From Sunrise follow the Wonderland Trail counter clockwise as far as you have time.  Or up along Sourdough Ridge for views of Rainier.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.91533,-121.68500&z=14&t=T

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2012, 2:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mount Si is very close to Rainier and some excellent trails that you could do in an early evening.

Be sure to stop in at REI over a long lunch hour.  They would have tons of suggestions.  Besides it is the 'world HQ' and they have done it up well.

Oh and don't miss the city library if down town.  Well worth the tour. Nothing quite like it and it can be quite a hike on a wet afternoon.

Gas Works park on Lake Union is a good afternoon visit.

Catch a ferry to Vashon Island for views on the sound (cheaper with out the car).

Eat lots of shellfish. Best places not necessarily on the Pike Market though

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2012, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Si is close to Seattle - brain lost track.

Might try to stay at Paradise.  Then you could get two good walks and have a good view of the mountain as well as a warm shower, bed and passable food in between.  AND save on driving time.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Idaho Bob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2012, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would go to Rainier Natl park, and day hike in the Tatoosh Range.  You'll have great views of the big peak from anywhere in the Tatoosh Range.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
7 replies since Jul. 09 2012, 2:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rainier Suggetions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions