2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fire - Mt Adams, And other PNW fires.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 9:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We had planned to go around the Mountain but just north of Trout Lake we saw a huge fire, 3 out of 4 of our cars was smart enough to turn back to regroup at the Ranger station.  There we found out that the road and trail was indeed closed.  We called the other car on the cell phone and they turned back and joined us.

We had decided to go to the Goat Rocks, but on the way we changed our minds , and decided to do the north and east sides of Mt Adams.  This turned out to be a good decision since they were fogged and later smoked out.  

When we dayhiked toward Sunrise, the fire seemed like it was just over the ridge (though it wasn't). The next day we moved our camp a bit back north to make the following day hiking off trail toward High Camp / Klein Creek easier.  Shortly after we got their the smoke blotted out the sun and it became rather cold, for a couple of hours:

The next day was clear at first:

But we could see allot of smoke below the Goat Rocks and  toward (between us and ?) Rainier.

The big surprise was the smoke we saw behind us, we thought it would be in front of us as we approached Klein creek:

PNW fires
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
foggy Search for posts by this member.
There's no place like home

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's crazy hazy on this side of the mountains.  My throat is scritchy.  it's really bad.  So scary out there right now.  Not too often you see dead, brown gas on this side of the mountain.  The Governor put out an entire statewide burn ban.  Thank goodness! Be safe!

That looks like Mt. St. Helens in the one photo.

--------------
"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
- Charles Caleb Colton
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Apparently that is the smaller of 3 fires!  Wenatchee complex  and Pole Creek (in Oregon) being bigger.

Folks lost cars on Mt Adams, and a fire fighter died in the Wenatchee complex Fire
 Post Number: 4
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its smokey in Portland because of the fires too!  On the way flying in on Sunday, there were several small fires visible to the east of Mt Hood, with lots of smoke.  We don't see that kinda stuff in the east....
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2012, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't remember it being this smokey in PDX, even when there were fires in Forest Park (in town) or last year on the north side of mt hood near our water supply.

But with the clouds , rain, fog, and other pollution around here it probably fades into one gray memory.  And fires have been worse, I think.  One year they started in the spring in Washington, they had to plow the snow from the roads to get to them!  Still 3 or 4 major fires is quite allot, but probably more noticeable since I was hiking right next to one.  Last year one started north of Sisters (mtns.) as we finished our hiking around them.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2012, 1:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

A friend forwarded me an email, apparently they have closed the entire Mt Adams wilderness, and the PCT, and the fire has burned up to Horseshoe Meadow (this was going to be our 1st night's camp until we had to change plans).

Here is the most impressive photo from that email (photo by Darlisa Black):

5 replies since Sep. 16 2012, 9:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fire - Mt Adams
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions