2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Need PNW hike ideas, Destination advice< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mishmash Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 11:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For my 40th birthday this year I want to do a backpacking trip in Oregon or southern Washington.  I've completed numerous day hikes with my sister who is going with me & lives in Portland.  

I need some recommendations for a destination.  We thought about tackling Timberline Trail in Mt. Hood but part of the trail is 'closed' but I think it may be too ambitious for my first backpacking trip.  My sister has backpacked once but hikes all the time.

I would like to be near the mountains.  I do not want to be hiking for 6 hrs looking at one eons away (which is what happened when we hiked the Wallowas).

I was hoping for at least 2 nights camping...I want 3 & my sister thinks 2 would be better.  She thinks we shoudl hike a day, set up camp, next day do a side trip & leave camp, & the 3rd day hike back.  I was thinking a loop trail around 20-25 miles over the few days but also think an out & back with a side day trip or two would be cool.

and i think we should be no further than 3-4 hrs from Portland.

I read that Three Sisters loop has the ability to cut between Middle & South Sister but my sister is concerned about the trail disappearing for a bit.

Any suggestions?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The "trail" between the South and Middle Sister is almost a mountain climb. It is steep. When I did it a few years back at the end of August, I could not see the "trail" during a section and we had to climb down a relatively intense section (so much so that the lady I was hiking with swore she'd never do it again and she's gone through some intense stuff). Time-wise, the Three Sisters is a decent distance (about three hours from Portland). Hike-wise, there are several trails that you could do to create a nice loop. However, we just had a major forest fire so the entire east side has been burned all the way up to Demaris Lake. If you want to go there, I would seriously suggest just sticking to the west side of the Sisters. I will be snowshoeing on the east side this next month and I will be able to give a more accurate description of the east side.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Goat Rocks.

Hike in from the Snowgrass TH, set up at Alpine Camp.  Side trip north on the Pacific Crest Trail to the big viewpoint over Coyote Ridge, maybe bag Old Snowy.  Or south on the PCT to Cispus Basin and Cispus Pass.  Then for the hike out, go north on Lily Basin trail to Goat Lake and out via Goat Ridge (to the Berry Patch TH, less than a mile from the starting TH).
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pacific Northwest Hiking
The best hiking reference I've ever found for anywhere. I used it on a weekly basis when I lived over that way. I wish every state/region had one half as good.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
mishmash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 12:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I've narrowed it down to Paradise Park (Mt. Hood) or Three Fingered Jack area (Jefferson Wilderness) as I see loop hikes with possible day hikes on both.  I would really like to do this around the 3rd week of June... any idea if this is impossible due to the snow?  Worried about mosquitoes if i wait til July/Aug too.  

trying to plan a 3 night /4 day trip w/my sis.
 Post Number: 6
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can always check snotel. 3jack would be my choice, conditions permitting, followed by goat rocks.
 Post Number: 7
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(texasbb @ Dec. 24 2012, 5:16 pm)
Goat Rocks.

Hike in from the Snowgrass TH, set up at Alpine Camp.  Side trip north on the Pacific Crest Trail to the big viewpoint over Coyote Ridge, maybe bag Old Snowy.  Or south on the PCT to Cispus Basin and Cispus Pass.  Then for the hike out, go north on Lily Basin trail to Goat Lake and out via Goat Ridge (to the Berry Patch TH, less than a mile from the starting TH).

Did a trip there last summer with my son & his girlfriend--1st day to Cispus Basin, 2nd day to Alpine Camp, 3rd day to Jordan Basin, & out. It's a spectacular area, lots of people though (by my standards anyway--I spend a lot of time off-trail in the Sierra).  But way worth it. Cispus & Jordan camps were both spectacular.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
6 replies since Dec. 23 2012, 11:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Need PNW hike ideas
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions