2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Olympic Natinal Park in May< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 2:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi there,

I'm thinking about taking a few short hikes in Olympic National Park the latter part of May this year.  Been there in August before and really enjoyed it.  I'm wondering about the weather in this time frame, especially as it pertains to rain.  I know these are the Olympics and it'll be wet - just looking for specifics as much as possible.  Any other comments or suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks so mulch.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably helps to ask a local about current conditions but, as the mountains still had snow, we found the Olympic NP beach (starting from Ozette) to be a neat change of pace during Memorial Day 2004.  Tide tables, ropes, and checking out the tide pools was pretty cool for 4 days.  Got rained on daily .... some sprinkles, some real rain.  Going to the beach is a boardwalk, but then we would hit the beach and go a few miles to a campsite, turn around the other way, another campsite, etc.. and finally exit another boardwalk on our last day.  

Again, maybe someone over there knows of a current shuttle, but the drive from her parents in Seattle out to Forks was a bit since we had to check in at Hurricane Ridge via Port Angeles for our backcountry passes and Garcia canister.  Carcamped the first night.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 3
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depending on where you want to hike in May, there will still be a TON of snow in most areas.  Our snowpack is something like 140% of normal this year in the Olys!

There are a few lower elevation trails that would be snow free (or nearly so) that wouldn't require mad navigational skills in the snow or crampons, though.  The Elwha trail comes to mind, as do any of the beach hikes.

Let us locals know exactly WHEN you're going to be here...maybe we could meet up?

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosierdaddy @ Mar. 27 2013, 6:36 pm)
Let us locals know exactly WHEN you're going to be here...maybe we could meet up?

If this trip pans out, I'll certainly keep that in mind.

Thanks for the insights.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 1:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also be aware that we have creek blowouts, floods and slides during this time and may be a little worse this year with that lovely snowpack melting. Depends on the temp and it can be a complete mess on the southwest end and totally fine on the northeast.  Check out the TR section of www.NWhikers.net for some good trail data.  

Some good hikes right now are the Elwah, the Bogachiel, the Hoh and the Sol Duc Resort just opened so you can go hike to the falls and the trail as it heads to Appleton Junction and finish the day with a good long soak in the hot tubs. The Spruce Railroad Trail goes around Lake Crescent and is a fun day hike, even when it is raining buckets.  On the East side, the Duckabush has been a fav of mine, but with the trail having gone up in smoke due to an unattended campfire a year and a half ago, I'm not sure what you'll find.
Anyway, bring raingear and enjoy the wetter side of things.  Stomp in a puddle or two.  It's fun!  :D
 Post Number: 6
foggy Search for posts by this member.
There's no place like home

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 27 2013, 8:32 pm)

(hoosierdaddy @ Mar. 27 2013, 6:36 pm)

If this trip pans out, I'll certainly keep that in mind.

Thanks for the insights.

Keep me posted too will ya'? I don't hike much with others, just no time, everyone lives so far from me, but I would love to get a good excuse to get away to the Oly's.  

If you would like, you can email me at fog_duo at yahoo dot com.  Or I am going to try and get more active in the forums again.  :)  Time allowing that is.

--------------
"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
- Charles Caleb Colton
5 replies since Mar. 27 2013, 2:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Olympic Natinal Park in May
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions