2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Getting there, How to get to desired trails< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
raiderred11k Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 8:28 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I am an experienced Backpacker/hiker/mountaineer/eagle scout, I have been out of the game for a while but I have decided to make my triumphant return to the backcountry. I am currently looking at a whole lot of new destinations. mostly to Washington and Oregon areas. However I live in Texas and the biggest obsticle I have noticed is not the trails themselves but getting there. I would perfer to fly into either Seattle or Portland. But once I am on the ground, What is the best way to get to the trailheads? do I just pay for a really expensive Cab ride? Or am I just not thinking outside the box enough? Any Suggestions would be great!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

raiderred11k,

Here are two options for getting to some areas from PDX.  

1. Take public transit Monday-Friday on the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge... departs from the Vancouver, WA transit station.  You can take other public transit from the airport to connect to the "C-tran" system, see these two links:

http://www.c-tran.com/portland-lightrail-max.html

http://www.gorgetranslink.com/transit-skamania.html

You can link up with the PCT going north into WA or head over the Bridge of the Gods to the Oregon PCT / Eagle Creek Trail (just to mention a couple) and make loops of various lengths.  Unfortunately there is not an equivalent transportation option on the Oregon side of the gorge.

2. With advanced reservations, you can get off of the Central Oregon Breeze (CO Breeze) Bus at Government Camp, OR, just south of Mt Hood.  

http://cobreeze.com/where-when/travel-planning/

You can easily get onto the PCT/Timberline trail, etc. in this area.

Best of luck on your trip planning!

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow Awesome! thanks CampinCarl. This is exactly what I was looking for. Seriously cut hours of frustration from my planning process!
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From Sea-Tac you can catch some public buses around the Olympic Peninsula, western WA.  Google around for Grays Harbor and Jefferson Transit routes.  The buses don't go all the way to the trailheads, but from Hwy 101 you can put out your thumb and hitch a ride for the last bits of road up to popular trailheads.

Anyhoo, I went for a month in Olympic NP, doing that a handful of years back.  Worked for me.

I'm sure there are some buses to other destinations too.  But that's what I've used in the past around Olympic NP.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys (those who replied as well as those just viewing) I did some additional research and found out some helpful info.

So I found a part of the PCT that starts on the south side of Mt. Hood and continues to the Columbia river Gorge.

Interestingly enough. there is actually a ski lodge that has a shuttle to and from Portland at the entry point. And the exit point ends in a town that has public transit to Portland Area.

So if anyone is looking into the northern most section of the PCT in oregon. I found some great info for you guys!

I'll probably be looking for trail buddies for safety, Unless anyone thinks that I can handle this section (50 miles Apox) Solo. Bears and Cougars are biggest worry. anyone viewing let me know what you think.
 Post Number: 6
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is a very popular portion of the PCT for section hikers to do.  A few of us from around here did that exact section a few years back, taking about 4 days to wander it.  You don't have to worry about cougars or bears, or lack of people on the trail, but you DO have to be very careful at river crossings!  August would be a good time to enjoy the wildflowers. Be sure to take the Eagle Creek Trail, instead of staying on the PCT as you approach the Columbia Basin.  It's pretty incredible! Here are some pic from my trip:
http://s65.photobucket.com/user....0766443

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on the Eagle Creek Trail recommendation.  It's spectacular.

Also +1 on not worrying about the bears or cougars.  In mid-summer, as HD pointed out, the creek crossings (Sandy Creek, notably) are going to be a bigger worry.  I've done 'em several times though without issues, I'm sure you'll get through fine.

And I wouldn't sweat it going solo if you can't find a partner.  But that's up to your own comfort level, so take that as you will.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a great plan!  I would double-check the ski shuttle if you are talking about Timberline or Mt Hood Meadows, I'm not sure how often they run in the off-season.  I agree that bears and cougars are not much of an issue, just hanging your food is fine.  I saw your invite, but I wouldn't be able to go at this season in my life.  You might try posting up an invite in the forums on portlandhikers.org.  You might even find someone who would be able to help out with transportation there... it's worth asking anyway.

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
7 replies since Mar. 29 2013, 8:28 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Getting there
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions