2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hood R day hikes and Oregon coast hikes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 1:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wife and I are staying in Hood River for three nights in mid August (35th anniversary) and would like to day hike from rental car accessible trailheads. Trails up to 7 or so miles is good. We do a lot of hiking (it's what we do most would say to excess) and have (last year) hiked in the Rocky Mtns so we know our limits, etc. We usually get an early start and take our time.

Any tips on trails we should consider in the Mt Hood area? We've never been to Oregon/Washington.
We figure long day hikes and then the Gorge late in the afternoon or in the evening for short hikes. We have begun searching the web for trails, but there are a ton to select from and we want to make informed and good choices.

Also, we  are staying along the coast for 3 nights in Garibaldi when done with the Hood area. Any tips on trails along or inland a bit N or S of Garibaldi 50 or so miles and recommended or 2 secluded water front areas/scenery beaches along the shore where we can sit quietly and watch sea stacks and the ocean (we did this at Hidden Beach in N Calif a couple of years ago)?

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi, Leafwalker,

South of Hood River off of HWY 35 is Tamanawas Falls Trails;it is a scenic 4-mile trail with a beautiful waterfall.  East of Hood River is Elowah Falls and Upper McCord Creek Falls (about 3 miles total) and you can combine both of these waterfall trails with Wahclella Falls Trail for 5 miles of hiking.  These three waterfalls are very scenic and I hike the trails here frequently.  Across the Gorge on the Washington side in the Gifford Pinchot Nat'l Forest is the Falls Creek Falls Trail; it is one of my favorite trails and one of my favorite waterfalls.  The Eagle Creek Trail is another really nice Hike in the Gorge; it is very popular so be sure to hike it mid-week.  I like to hike it into Tunnel Falls and that is nearly 7 miles one-way; however, you can make it shorter and there are several nice waterfalls before Tunnel Falls.

Enjoy your time around Hood River!  I love that town!

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur"
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A stop by Multnomah Falls (620') right off the Interstate is nice even if you don't walk the trail up.

Note that almost any trail starting south from the Gorge will be all up. And more up.
Angel's Rest at the west end of the Gorge. 1500', 2½ miles.
Dog Mountain across the Columbia in WA. 3000', 3 miles.
And drawing a blank... Devil's ?... 5000', 5 miles.
Tough but great hikes.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a good list to start from for Mount Hood / Gorge area:

Portland Hikers - Must See Hikes

This list is from portlandhikers.org, which is the online presence of the non-profit Trailkeepers of Oregon.  They have a very active forum there for up-to-date trail conditions as well.

Coast... ask in the forums above as I haven't done too many beach hikes in that area.    But I have done the 3 Capes Scenic Drive, it's really beautiful.

Best of luck!

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 5
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 for portland hikers. Its a great website with an excellent field guide (I wish NW Hikers had a similar guide.)

For State Parks on the Washington side you will need a Discover Pass or pay the day use fee. All of the other spots require a NW Forest Service Pass or day fee. I don't think Multnomah Falls requires anything other then exiting on the left hand side of the highway.

Elowah Falls is my favorite and requires almost no effort. If you drive up the old highway from Multnomah you could visit Horse Tail Falls and climb up and walk behind Pony Tail Falls. Further up the same trail is Triple Falls IIRC. Almost every hike in the Gorge has a few waterfalls.

Open spaces are a little harder to come by. Angels Rest is great. Munra Point requires a bit of scrambling and has very narrow, steep and undulating crests. Table Mountain is my favorite on the Washington side because you can get right up to a massive cliff edge with great views. It is pretty brutal getting up, but there is a hot spring resort at the bottom.
 Post Number: 6
tRoLLin_mOtOr Search for posts by this member.
Strategery

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another vote for the 3 Capes Scenic Loop.  you can hike out to the end of Cape Lookout which is a nice walk.  Cape Meares has great views and a lighthouse.  Pacific City has Cape Kiwanda, a cool brew up and a neat upmarket hotel.

--------------
It is better to travel well than to arrive
5 replies since Jun. 16 2013, 1:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hood R day hikes and Oregon coast hikes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions