2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Heading to Rainier in August, Overnight/Day Hikes Rainier< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Augie Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 8:39 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I are heading out to Oregon/Washington for two weeks in August.  We were looking for suggestions for hiking Rainier after we spend 5 nights backpacking the South Sister Loop near Bend.  So, we were looking for something around Paradise area since we'll be coming in from the south.  Is it difficult to get a walk in permit overnight for a night or two?  What section/area would you recommend?  Thanks for any suggestions!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Random Walker Search for posts by this member.
Born under a wandering star

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not being particular is easier for permits.
If it was me, I'd head to Sunrise and wander out from there.
Check out "The Palisades"...

--------------
"...adventure without regard to prudence, profit, self-improvement,
learning or any other serious thing"
-Aldo Leopold-
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just east of the boarder of MRNP is Chinook Pass--a beautiful area with fantastic views of Rainier. You can do a casual little walk/blueberry grab along the PCT near the pass.

If you want a more serious dayhike in the area, travel a little further east to Mt. Aix--one of the best dayhikes in Washington, IMHO. It's a serious day hike: about 12 miles round trip and over 4000 feet of gain. It also tends to be hot in August, but it's worth the sweat for a fantastic view of the volcanoes, the goat rocks, etc.
 Post Number: 4
Augie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestions for the dayhikes.  Now if we want to do maybe a one or two day backpack trip what would you recommend?  
Anywhere to camp for a night in the Mt Aix area if we want to spend one night?  Hike 6 in and stay a night or two and hike back out?
 Post Number: 5
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a meadow about 4 miles into the Aix hike with a spring. I'm not sure if there is any level ground for a tent or not--I haven't been up there in a long time. (I no longer live in the area.) You could camp on the ridge in good weather--you'd have to haul water up from the spring.

For overnight trips near Mt. Rainier, I'd look at Mystic Lake or Seattle Park.
 Post Number: 6
Gifford Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2013, 1:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure how athletic you want to be; you may want to consider starting at Sunrise and heading over to Paradise from there. Both have large parking lots with plenty of lodge and civilization facilities. You can leave a car in one, drive back to the other. Or just hike back.

Sunrise is usually lots less crowded than Paradise, but has excellent facilities. . . check out the chili at the lodge.

Oh, but be warned. Keep the park green. . . bring money.

Giff
 Post Number: 7
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

From Frying Pan Creek up to Summer Land and then down Nickle Creek and the road to hitch back.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.86254,-121.63917&z=14&t=T

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
6 replies since Jul. 21 2013, 8:39 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Heading to Rainier in August
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions