2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Best View in Pacific Northwest?, What are the best views in your region?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kherrel1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 7:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In our September 2013 issue, we asked guidebook writers, BACKPACKER field scouts, landscape photographers, and other local experts nationwide to rule on the sweetest backcountry vista in their corner of the union. The result? Fifty unforgettable views and a Top 10 list that will fill memory cards. We stand behind our choices, but no doubt you'll have your own favorites in your region. Think we got it wrong? Let us know by posting your own choice here (ideally with a photo)!

Our picks:

Oregon
Jefferson Park, Mt. Jefferson Wilderness
44.7163071, -121.80000

Alaska
Harding Icefield, Kenai Fjords NP
60.178944, -149.706711
Trip ID www.backpacker.com/hikes/10249

Washington
Norway Pass, Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument
46.310328, -122.105386

Second Beach, Olympic NP
47.886478, 124.626244
Trip ID www.backpacker.com/hikes/55411

- Posted by BP.com staff
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 2:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am most familiar with ONP, and though Second Beach is nice, I think Shi Shi's Arches beats it hands down.

There is a view coming down off of Cameron Pass in ONP towards Lost Pass that is freakin' amazing, not just for the surreal beauty, but also for it's seclusion.

I don't have my photos hosted anymore, but I'll see what I can do to get them up here to show you what I mean...
 Post Number: 3
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My picks - Most I like better than the list above:

OREGON = Jefferson Park was nice, but the view from on top of South Sister in the Three Sisters Wilderness is better.

WASHINGTON = Nothing from the North Cascades?  Almost anything along the PCT north of Stevens Pass is worthy of consideration.

ALASKA = Good choice.  I am partial to some of the views of Denali from about midway on the road and areas reached on foot from there.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 4
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Itsa Washington sekrit.   :p   (But, GBH should remember....)

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 5
BGinFla Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While I cannot disagree with the selection of Harding Icefield as the best view in Alaska - at least post a picture of the Icefield and not just Exit Glacier; which is the rewarding hike to the icefield.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 6
toddh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is great topic and the debate highlights the wonderful choices we have in the Pacific NW.  Meanwhile, the published magazine article listed Oregon as the Evergreen State.  Washington owns that nickname.  Oregon is the Beaver state!
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eye of the beholder, 'far as I'm concerned. :D

I'm as big a fan of peaks and glaciers as anyone, but IMO too many overlook the views down inside the depths of the valley bottoms, many of which set the PNW aside from anywhere else on Earth.  :)

Most folks wouldn't pick a "best view" if they can't see miles in every direction (alpine only!), which leaves the valleys untrodden.  Which is fine by me.  Hee heeee.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

photo 017.jpg

photo P1030401_zps06df3f98.jpg

photo 017-1.jpg

photo GOPR0630_zpsc3dabf9f.jpg
 Post Number: 9
MCurran Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with Dennis (almost) on Kalmia as posted in the magazine...only thing better than the picture in the magazine is being there in person...and maybe a picture of Kalmia printed the right way (your photo is flipped)...Cheers...
 Post Number: 10
granderlife Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not familiar with the areas discussed for WA, but the deep mossy rainforest (like the guy above is discussing, is surreal and amazing to me.  I could wander in there and starve to death trying to see all the amazing things there are to see.  (This coming from a highly impressionable feller from AR).  I wondered if you considered the view off of High Divide towards Mt. Olympus and the Hoh valley, too.  I kind of thought I'd wandered off a bluff and ended up in paradise early.  The snow was smoking cool vapors among the dark trees, the view was amazing, the gulf of the valley, a tremendous smell of thousands of wildflowers, pushing up through the edges of the snow pack...I'll not soon forget that...and it goes on for a mile looking both ways...and then turns a corner and goes on again.  WA has so many beautiful places!
9 replies since Jul. 30 2013, 7:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Best View in Pacific Northwest?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions