2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Camp Muir @ End of August, Camp Muir Advice< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
thegreenthree Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 6:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good afternoon everyone,

My wife and I are planning a day hike to Camp Muir at Mount Rainier during the last weekend of August.

We have been training for the hike and have completed Grand Canyon from river to top in one day. This is what we are using to gauge our training with because we are in Texas.

My Questions:
1. My feet run hot, I use the vasque breeze boots. I have never hiked in snow. Do I need boot covers or gators to keep my boot from getting wet or is this not an issue? I will be wearing pants.

2. Will we need snow shoes or crampons?

3. We can navigate and will have map, compass, gps on us. I am assuming we can follow other peoples trails in the snow field. Is this correct?

4. Should we worry about crevasses?

5. Are snow pans necessary?

6. What other advice can you give me?

Thanks again for the help!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2013, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No one has been to Camp Muir...

Wow!
 Post Number: 3
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(thegreenthree @ Aug. 12 2013, 6:32 pm)
Good afternoon everyone,

My wife and I are planning a day hike to Camp Muir at Mount Rainier during the last weekend of August.

We have been training for the hike and have completed Grand Canyon from river to top in one day. This is what we are using to gauge our training with because we are in Texas.

My Questions:
1. My feet run hot, I use the vasque breeze boots. I have never hiked in snow. Do I need boot covers or gators to keep my boot from getting wet or is this not an issue? I will be wearing pants.

2. Will we need snow shoes or crampons?

3. We can navigate and will have map, compass, gps on us. I am assuming we can follow other peoples trails in the snow field. Is this correct?

4. Should we worry about crevasses?

5. Are snow pans necessary?

6. What other advice can you give me?

Thanks again for the help!

1- no
2- no
3- yes
4- no
5- Pants? no, although you may want to bring a jacket to sit on.
6- Its not the most fun hike. Mostly straight up a snowfield. Bring lots of water and long pants/sleeves for when you stop. Glissade down. Sunscreen.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AndyPandy @ Aug. 13 2013, 10:16 pm)
1- no
2- no
3- yes
4- no
5- Pants? no, although you may want to bring a jacket to sit on.
6- Its not the most fun hike. Mostly straight up a snowfield. Bring lots of water and long pants/sleeves for when you stop. Glissade down. Sunscreen.

Thanks for the advice. This helps me a lot. It will be a fun hike, something we have never done before.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What about the weather, I read that whiteouts can happen within 20 minutes and you need to be prepared to ride it out if necessary.
 Post Number: 6
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The summers in the PNW are very nice. When conditions like that usually happen they happen in the afternoon, but forecasting has come a long way. If you get an early start the crazier of the weather can usually be avoided. I can't tell you what the conditions will be the day you hike or if the weather will turn. Mt Rainier is the biggest thing around so you can see the weather build; if it starts to look sketchy just bail. Most of the lower portion of the trail is paved or graveled so whiteouts shouldn't be a problem down low.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AndyPandy @ Aug. 14 2013, 4:17 pm)
The summers in the PNW are very nice. When conditions like that usually happen they happen in the afternoon, but forecasting has come a long way. If you get an early start the crazier of the weather can usually be avoided. I can't tell you what the conditions will be the day you hike or if the weather will turn. Mt Rainier is the biggest thing around so you can see the weather build; if it starts to look sketchy just bail. Most of the lower portion of the trail is paved or graveled so whiteouts shouldn't be a problem down low.

Guess I need to read up on what bad weather looks like because I have read about people hiking when it was cloudy with no issues.
 Post Number: 8
Random Walker Search for posts by this member.
Born under a wandering star

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Print this: Camp Muir with Bearings Map and take it with you on your adventure...

--------------
"...adventure without regard to prudence, profit, self-improvement,
learning or any other serious thing"
                                                           -Aldo Leopold-
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
WildBlue Search for posts by this member.
Proceed until apprehended

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a link to the weather forecast for Rainier:
 http://www.atmos.washington.edu/data/rainier_report.html

At the end of August chances are good that you will have clear weather, but check the forecast before you leave.  Rainier in bad weather is seriously dangerous, even just going up to Muir.  And a +1 to the compass bearings chart.  I never go near Rainier without it, and I have had to use it to get down in the past-- even in the middle of summer.  If the weather forecast is not clear and sunny, don't even bother going.

By the way, Rainier is a spectacular mountain, and getting up to Camp Muir is a worthy goal, but just a friendly warning-- it also ends up being a long painful slog, and coming from sea level to over 10,000 feet in a day is very hard, even if you're in great shape.  If you have a chance to acclimatize to the altitude someplace first, that would be a great help.
Enjoy.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Random Walker @ Aug. 16 2013, 12:10 pm)
Print this: Camp Muir with Bearings Map and take it with you on your adventure...

Wow thanks! I needed this, I have been looking at Google Earth to plot way points.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WildBlue @ Aug. 16 2013, 5:45 pm)
Here is a link to the weather forecast for Rainier:
 http://www.atmos.washington.edu/data/rainier_report.html

At the end of August chances are good that you will have clear weather, but check the forecast before you leave.  Rainier in bad weather is seriously dangerous, even just going up to Muir.  And a +1 to the compass bearings chart.  I never go near Rainier without it, and I have had to use it to get down in the past-- even in the middle of summer.  If the weather forecast is not clear and sunny, don't even bother going.

By the way, Rainier is a spectacular mountain, and getting up to Camp Muir is a worthy goal, but just a friendly warning-- it also ends up being a long painful slog, and coming from sea level to over 10,000 feet in a day is very hard, even if you're in great shape.  If you have a chance to acclimatize to the altitude someplace first, that would be a great help.
Enjoy.

Thanks for the weather report and the long painful warning. We have been training and I assume it will be comparable to the Grand Canyon climp in terms of steepness.

Cant Wait!
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How much water does everyone typically bring with them for the camp Muir day hike?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 7:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AndyPandy @ Aug. 14 2013, 4:17 pm)
Mt Rainier is the biggest thing around so you can see the weather build; if it starts to look sketchy just bail. Most of the lower portion of the trail is paved or graveled so whiteouts shouldn't be a problem down low.

As of now , Each day we are going to be at Rainier. The weather shows partly cloudy with a 30-60% chance of rain.

When I get there, I will talk with the rangers and Rainier mountaineering for a final decision but it does not look good.

If the weather is cloudy I guess we could hike paradise and back.

Dang!
 Post Number: 14
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While in the area and you have a few more day hike day, think about Summer Land via the Frying Pan Creek trail head.  Some wow scenery.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.86254,-121.63917&z=14&t=T

Also from Mowich lake up to Spray Park

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.92090,-121.82147&z=14&t=T

Carbon Glacier is another nice day hike.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2013, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ Aug. 26 2013, 9:18 pm)
While in the area and you have a few more day hike day, think about Summer Land via the Frying Pan Creek trail head.  Some wow scenery.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.86254,-121.63917&z=14&t=T

Also from Mowich lake up to Spray Park

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.92090,-121.82147&z=14&t=T

Carbon Glacier is another nice day hike.

Thanks I will add them to our trail list.
 Post Number: 16
WildBlue Search for posts by this member.
Proceed until apprehended

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(thegreenthree @ Aug. 21 2013, 12:27 am)
How much water does everyone typically bring with them for the camp Muir day hike?

Two liters is the usual norm for water.  You can also expect to be able to get water at Pebble Creek, which is about halfway up, at the beginning of the Muir snowfield.  You can always also take a stove and melt all the snow you want.
15 replies since Aug. 12 2013, 6:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Camp Muir @ End of August
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions