2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hell's Canyon Trail Map< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
null Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 12:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can anyone recommend a Hell's Canyon Trail Map?  Trails Illustrated doesn't have one and I'm not sold on the Forest Service Maps (Wallowa-Whitman I guess).

Thanks,
Steve

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
drilldaddyo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Steve,

I used the "100 Hikes in the Inland NW" by Rich Landers as a trail guide to the area.  Then I purchase a few quad maps from the USGS.  Now I pretty much use mytopo.com to purchase the maps themselves.  

What trail were you contemplating?

Sincerely,

Randy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 7:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not really sure what trails I'm considering.  Ideally, a 40-50 mile loop, but I don't know that it's even possible.  It's difficult to find even overview trail maps.

I'll look into getting the guide and USGS.
Thanks,
Steve

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
 Post Number: 4
LoneWolfe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

null -

Are you planning to hike on the Oregon or Idaho side?  The Idaho side has several opportunities for loop hikes, but they involve climbing out of the canyon and this time of year you will encounter snow.  I often use the canyon for early season hikes, but always do out-and-back trips.

For maps, I just use USGS maps. I use USA Photo Maps for getting maps.  It's free, but you have to print the maps for a hardcopy.  This is just a guy (not me :D)  that does this for free, but takes donations so help him out if you use and like it.  I think it's well worth it.  I use it for all of my BP trips whether in the Winds, the Beartooths, the Pasayten, the Sawtooths or the Selway-Bitterroots.

--------------
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.  ~Albert Einstein
 Post Number: 5
drilldaddyo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2014, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Steve,

You can string together a long loop if you go at the right time of the year.  The Seven Devils would be a good starting point.  I've done the basic "Seven Devils Loop" trail there.

If you are looking to hike in the canyon itself you will be limited in mileage unless you could perhaps get a jet boat ride across the river to continue your journey.

Let me know if you have any questions after looking over some of the suggested information in this thread.

Sincerely,

Randy
 Post Number: 6
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2014, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(drilldaddyo @ Feb. 25 2014, 11:58 am)
You can string together a long loop if you go at the right time of the year.  The Seven Devils would be a good starting point.  I've done the basic "Seven Devils Loop" trail there.

I second the Seven Devils.  The main loop isn't much to write home about but the side trips to the various lakes are much more interesting.  There's also a spectacular overlook into Hells Canyon at Dry Diggins Lookout, in case you'd feel cheated if you missed the canyon altogether.

Timing will be different from Hells Canyon, though.  I was in the Devils in mid-July, 2010, and there was still one spot on the loop that was dangerously blocked by snow.  It took a nerve wracking climb up a steep, loose slope to get around it.  For the Canyon itself, you'll probably be going a good bit earlier.
 Post Number: 7
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2014, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Null,
Grand Hells Canyon Loop is a 74 mile hike described, with color maps, in the book 100 Classic Hikes in Oregon, by Douglas Lorain.  Starts and ends at the Freezeout trailhead.  It looks like there are several options to shorten the loop if you wanted to.  I have no personal knowledge of the trail.  The map he recommends is the USFS Hells Canyon National Recreation Area.
Enjoy.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Feb. 25 2014, 8:30 pm)
Grand Hells Canyon Loop is a 74 mile hike described, with color maps,

Are the color maps topos?  Or should I get the USGS maps as well?

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
 Post Number: 9
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, the 2 maps (north and south) are topographic and easy to read, but I would augment them, probably with the recommended USFS Hells Canyon National Recreation Area map.  I'll send you a PM.
8 replies since Feb. 21 2014, 12:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hell's Canyon Trail Map
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions