2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: columbia river gorge to mt hood< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tcovyc Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2014, 11:34 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am from Missouri and have very little knowledge of this area.  I was on a very short business trip to the area and stopped by the Columbia River gorge for a couple hours.  One of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen!  My question is, is there a trail that starts at the Columbia River Gorge area outside of Portland and ends at Mount Hood that has back country camping available?  Thanks in advance for any information on this subject.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2014, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes.  The Eagle Creek Trail starts just-off I-84 outside of Portland and connects up with the PCT all the way to Mt. Hood's Timberline Trail.  The trail up the canyon is nothing short of spectacular.  Much of the trail was carved/blasted straight out of the canyon walls by the CCC in the 1930's.

Note: If you're going in mid-summer, take note that Eagle Creek is also the most visited trail in all of Oregon, being close to Portland and such a beautiful dayhike.  Backcountry campsites can be difficult/impossible to get in peak season, and you'll share the trail with half-a-gadzillion dayhikers.  But if you're in the shoulder seasons at all (Spring/Fall), you should be fine.  My personal favorite times to go are in mid-Winter when it's all wet and swollen, but that complicates things if you're planning to go all the way up to Mt. Hood, which would require snowshoes/skis and formidable off-trail experience in winter.  But I digress.

Google it, you'll find plenty of info.  It really is a beautiful trail.  Best of luck!

Back in Spring '05:

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2014, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just my preference, but I would start at Mt Hood and walk downhill to the Gorge.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2014, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mike gives good advice.

Also check out the threads on this at Portlandhikers.org:

Example with good recommendations for campsites / snow conditions / transit info., etc.:

Cascade Locks to Timberline Lodge

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 5
tcovyc Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2014, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you all for the fantastic information.  I am going to do my own research but does anyone know how long this hike is off the top of their head?
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2014, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

40.7 miles.  10551 ft gain, 16460 loss, when starting at Timberline Lodge.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/29032

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2014, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Mar. 12 2014, 10:02 am)
Just my preference, but I would start at Mt Hood and walk downhill to the Gorge.  

Yes, this. :)

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2014, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Porland Hikers is a great resource!  

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
7 replies since Mar. 12 2014, 11:34 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply columbia river gorge to mt hood
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions