2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Olympic National Park 3-4 night backpacking trip< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
sportsguy9981 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 9:05 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im visiting Olympic National Park this summer (probably late July/early August) and would like to know people's opinions on their favorite backpacking trails of the park for a 4-6 day backpacking trip. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sportsguy9981 @ Mar. 18 2014, 8:05 am)
Im visiting Olympic National Park this summer (probably late July/early August) and would like to know people's opinions on their favorite backpacking trails of the park for a 4-6 day backpacking trip. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

What are your priorities? Alpine country, peak bagging, rain forest? How important is solitude?

I would probably do the Skyline Trail and return via the North Fork Quinalt. If you stretched it out to 6 days, you could do a side trip up the head of the Elwha River to Dodwell Rixon pass, and/or scramble a peak in the Meany/Seattle/Noyes area.

If you don't mind crowds, you could hike all the way up the Hoh to Glacier Meadows or to Hoh Lake. That way you get the spectacular rain forest, the alpine meadows, and everything in between.
 Post Number: 3
sportsguy9981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Id like to include the Rain Forest as part of the trip, but also see some of the alpine environment, overall a mix I guess of different environments.  Solitude isn't a requirement, looking for some of the most popular trails for that length of time.
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hoh to Blue Glacier.
 Post Number: 5
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 18 2014, 10:55 am)
Hoh to Blue Glacier.

+1.

Given your priorities, I think this is the ideal trip.

It can be done in three days (2 days in, 1 long day out), but you'd probably enjoy it more over four or five days, with some time for exploration around Glacier Meadows.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/hoh-river-trail.htm
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lotsa options.  The Hoh river to the Blue glacier is indeed a classic.  Among the best of the west side rainforests with a chance to stand on the flanks of Olympus at the foot of a magnificent glacier.  There will be crowds on the Hoh, expect that, but they'll thin out a day from the Trailhead.

The Skyline Trail from the Quinault Valley is great too if you're hoping for more alpine.  Although the Quinault forests aren't quite as overgrown as the the Hoh, Queets or Bogie valleys, it's a matter of degrees, and they're still great.

The High Divide loop and Seven Lakes Basin, starting and ending at Sol Duc, is another option.  Jaw dropping views of Olympus along the whole divide.

I'm not bringing up my very favorite regions of the park, mostly because they don't fit your criteria.  But if you're looking for crown jewel forests (foregoing the alpine) and guaranteed solitude, let me know and I could give a pointer or two that way too.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2014, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We did the Olympics a few years ago, and also wanted a taste of a few different settings.  We settled on a 2 day trip from Sol Duc to the Hoh Visitor Center, overnighting at Hoh Lake.  Then we did a massive car movement to do a 3 day coast trip from La Push to the Ozette Ranger Station.  This involves tides & the logistical challenge moving 2 cars, but we thought it was worth it.  Just a thought.
 Post Number: 9
TrailMouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2014, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

A nice lollipop loop that includes rainforest and alpine zones/regions could be the East Fork Quinault (Enchanted Valley) over Anderson & O'Neil Pass into LaCrosse Basin (Lake LaCrosse & Heart Lake).......if you could arrange a shuttle you could nix the lollipop and continue out the Duckabush Trail which is a nice watershed region. This happens to be one of my favorite trips in the Olympics because of the diversity.
8 replies since Mar. 18 2014, 9:05 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Olympic National Park 3-4 night backpacking trip
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions