2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hell's Canyon Again - Weather< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
null Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2014, 7:18 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would June be a good time to hike Hell's Canyon? áI would like to avoid snow (I had snow in Spokane in May once) and cold weather, bugs, as well as hot oppressive temperatures.

Obviously there are no guarantees and the weather down low and up high are different, but is June generally considered a good time to visit?

Thanks,
Steve

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
drilldaddyo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2014, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Steve,

I've been in Hells Canyon in late May and the temps have ranged from the 70's to high 80's.  Obviously early June is much different than late June.

I would see if weather.com gives temp ratings for the canyon itself.  It's a little convoluted but they give the average high/low and sunrise/sunset for most US locations.  

Are you still doing the river trail?

Sincerely,

Randy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2014, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quick update: weather.com does not have monthly averages for Hells Canyon but they do report the current weather.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still not sure about the route.  Looks like I'll have to get the USGS quads and crappy FS map to go with the guidebook.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2014, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have used the 100 Hikes in the Inland NW with good success.

I'm headed to the Canyon this weekend.  The plans are to jetboat upstream to the Kirkwood ranch then day hike back to Upper Pittsburgh landing.  I'm very familiar with this trail so if you need help, just ask.

Sincerely,

Randy
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2014, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, one last thought.  Consider using Topomaps.com for the "quads".  Their software allows you to roam and sometimes I can get the whole trip on one map instead of purchasing two or three topos from the USGS.  The software does take a little patience and practice in my opinion.

Randy
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2014, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(drilldaddyo @ May 22 2014, 5:21 pm)
I have used the 100 Hikes in the Inland NW with good success.

Thanks Randy.  I now have this guidebook, I just wish the maps were better.  I will check out topomaps.com.  My target visitation is May 30 - June 6, 2015 or possibly June 6-13, 2015.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2014, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went to Hells Canyon last weekend to hike from the Kirkwood Ranch back to Upper Pittsburg Landing w/ the aide of a jetboat drop.  Unfortunately, the jetboat pilot forgot me! :)

I day hiked the #102 river trail.  Weather was great: Sunny and in the low 80's

The river looked inviting for a dip  but the water was a little cool for this cold dainty middle aged man.

Hope your trip goes well.

Sincerely,

Randy
7 replies since May 12 2014, 7:18 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hell's Canyon Again - Weather
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions