2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Natural Gas Drilling Thread on PA Parks & Forests, Stay Informed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2010, 6:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

State to enact regs re: drilling on PA state parks and forests.

The state does not own the mineral rights under many state parks.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/news....es.aspx
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2010, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why is it we never hear about State Game Lands? Is a well going to show up in the middle of MST on SGL 75 soon?
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2010, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most SGLs up here have not been leased.  A few of the smaller ones have no surface disturbance leases.  We'll see how long that lasts.  DCNR has allowed some wild areas to be drilled, but with no surface disturbance.

More commentary on drilling in state parks, this from National Geographic:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news....forests
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2010, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Governor elect Corbett wants more state forests leased, opposes moratorium.

And read to see who the chairperson is for his transition team.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news....1062413
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2010, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More on Corbett

http://www.pennlive.com/editori....ts.html
 Post Number: 6
Hollowdweller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2010, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The people of PA have spoken apparently.

Corbett, Toomey, the message is obvious but not very welcome for me.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2010, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

https://secure3.convio.net/engage....app333b

From the PennEnvironment website.  A former forester talks about the effect of gas drilling on the state forests.
 Post Number: 8
partly cloudy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2010, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The drilling doesn't bother me half as much as the scar they leave afterwards. There is a law on Pa. books that says the drillers must clean up a "dry well" site. But the fine is only $2500. It's cheaper to pay the fine then to move equipment in and work for a few days. And this is on a normal, shallow well site. What is it gonna be like when the Marcellus well hit the nat'l, and state forest. 20 acres per site gone and not recovered. This is where we need legislation. We have the Clean Streams and Air act of the 70's for strip miners, why not the drillers too??

--------------
just another trail grunt in the forest
 Post Number: 9
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2010, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(partly cloudy @ Dec. 09 2010, 7:33 pm)
We have the Clean Streams and Air act of the 70's for strip miners, why not the drillers too??

That didn't work out so well either in my estimation.  There is so much land that is strip mined, bombed out and never touched in decades.  Take a drive on Rt 54, or Rt 61 in Schuylkill Co and see how they've reclaimed the land there....pitiful.

So how do we combat the coming onslaught?  We're not going to stop it, but hopefully we can lessen the impact.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2010, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GlenG @ Dec. 09 2010, 8:31 pm)
So how do we combat the coming onslaught?  We're not going to stop it, but hopefully we can lessen the impact.

One western PA water authority is asking the court to step in to address preparations the state hasn't yet deigned to require from gas companies: news link that might die soon
 Post Number: 11
HikerSara Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2010, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My sister lives in Potter County and she knows someone who can light their house's tap water on fire.  I live in DC now, but I was raised in PA and love the natural areas there.  I'm a Sierra Club member and checked their website to see what kind of lobbying they're doing on this topic and was saddened to not really find much of anything.  What groups out there are working to address all of the environmental issues the gas drilling is causing?  While I can't influence the process in PA with my vote, I'd like to make a contribution to a group that's working on this issue.
 Post Number: 12
DersuUzala Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2010, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

friggin' frackin!

IMG_0783

--------------
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in

--------------------------------------
visit my photo album;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenhikrbobo
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2010, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're on facebook, consider joining this group:

http://www.facebook.com/SavePAForests
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2010, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sara,

Check this group out:

http://www.pennenvironment.org/
 Post Number: 15
wolverinez Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2010, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PA is under siege. Literally.

--------------
Clickable Yellowstone camping map
Clickable Lassen Volcanic NP camping map
 Post Number: 16
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2010, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a good map of what's to come....
http://www.nature.org/wherewe....11.html

Ki0eh,
The link didn't work.
From what I heard, we are not very prepared to deal with this, which is a lot of the issue, because of the unknowns.  Its all pretty sketchy.  Gotta slow it down.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2010, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought I heard somewhere that national Sierra Club was not strong on fighting fracking because the national wonks were looking forward more to natural gas phasing out coal use, seeing natural gas as the lesser of two evils.

Here is another link to the situation in Brockway. It should be noted this story has a major error - the Brockway water authority did not lease the gas rights to the gas company - it couldn't, as it did not own OGM rights to its watershed.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2010, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not opposed to drilling, it can have economic benefits, but it must be done responsibly and carefully.  PA has a long, sad history of its natural resources being recklessly exploited.  I'd hate to see it happen again.

About 700,000 acres of state forests are already leased.  That is enough.

With more wells, the forests will be fragmented and thousand of acres of forests will becomes gas pads, roads, and pipelines.  Our hiking trails are already affected, and it will get worse.

What can you do?  Write your local state rep and senator, it does have an impact.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/
 Post Number: 19
Hollowdweller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2010, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a gas well on my place.

I get 200,000 cu ft of free gas a year.

My gas well is perfect, clean no eyesore but I've seen some pretty bad ones before.

Where I went to college so many big gas trucks went out this one road that a whole section fell over the hill and they had to close the road for a year or two until the town had the bucks to repair it.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2010, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Natural gas is much cleaner than coal and I don't fault anyone for leasing their land, I just hope that our state forests and parks and trails will be protected from excessive drilling.
 Post Number: 21
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2010, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmitch @ Nov. 12 2010, 11:23 am)
DCNR has allowed some wild areas to be drilled, but with no surface disturbance.

Therein lies some of the problem. Based on what I've seen so far, the worst footprint of the drilling isn't going to be surface disturbance, but instead in the withdrawal of water from wetlands to supply the fracking and the resulting impacts of the fracking fluids on local aquifers and watersheds.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2010, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard today that someone's water well, nearly a mile away from a gas well that was being fracked, suddenly turned artesian and flooded their house.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2011, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This article discusses the treatment of frak water.

http://news.yahoo.com/s....water_4
 Post Number: 24
wolverinez Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2011, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow. What is wrong with PA?

--------------
Clickable Yellowstone camping map
Clickable Lassen Volcanic NP camping map
 Post Number: 25
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2011, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So what streams and runs will this affect on our weekend outings. No REI water filter will help us here I'd guess.

Wat about the springs along the AT in PA will they become polluted

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 26
superhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2011, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, I was out at Quehanna over the weekend.  First off, there are signs everywhere warning of water quality because of the fracking accident last summer.  If that weren't enough, we drove forest roads back and forth to our trailhead.  The forest roads have been significantly widened and there were trucks all over them.  I've heard that this has impacted the snowmobile recreation in the area.  We passed three huge new drill pads in 10 miles of forest road driving and two huge staging areas with tankers, other trucks, gravel and sand piles, other heavy equipment and miles and miles of heavy pipeline for carrying fracking fluid.  This is all new in the last year.  Major bummer.  And tip of the iceberg, I'm afraid.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2011, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Jan. 04 2011, 6:13 pm)
So what streams and runs will this affect on our weekend outings. No REI water filter will help us here I'd guess.

Wat about the springs along the AT in PA will they become polluted

No filter's going to take out dissolved salts and radioactive minerals. The drilling is not occurring near the A.T., but the north half of the MST and much of many other trails (all of the Loyalsock, all of the BFT, all the AFT, all the QT, all the CKT, all the Laurel Highlands, all the NCT) is in the shale zone.

If you want to see some acid mine pollution on our upcoming trip I'll show it to you.

PA's government is positively medieval in many aspects, and coupled with the conservative backlash and associated campaign cash has caused even gas industry people I've met to wonder at such things as the lack of even an extraction tax.

The blowout at the Punxsutawney Hunting Club well near the Quehanna has resulted in more actual contamination than the 1979 Three Mile Island incident. Yet the local representatives see no problem, only $$$. DEP's regulation of this industry is a bad cartoon compared to nearly any other activity. I fear an epic disaster is in the making.
 Post Number: 28
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2011, 5:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been on the West Branch I've seen the orange rocks and lack of life signs.

This is amazing.

Odd the Feds have not stepped in.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2011, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Super,

Are they drilling in the wild area?  was the trail impacted?
 Post Number: 30
superhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2011, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not know about the Wild Area as we did not get up into that area.  However, it was rather noisy around Shaggers Inn water impoundment with truck noise.  We only did the 20 mile loop on the west cross connector (posted trip log).  The only ways in which the trail itself are impacted in that area, that I noticed, are the noise, the posted notices regarding water quality and widened forest roads that are crossed and occasionally utilized as trail.  

A group from NEOH backpacking club is doing a plateau trip near the wild area over MLK day weekend and should be able to provide more information.  I plan on getting up there in February assuming there is enough snow to ski/snowshoe.
97 replies since Nov. 11 2010, 6:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Natural Gas Drilling Thread on PA Parks & Forests
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions