2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: "Photos without a report" thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2011, 8:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Around this time of the year I don't do a lot of interesting hikes. I do get out periodically though, so that I can stay in some semblance of shape. It doesn't make sense to post a report on these, but sometimes I take my camera along...

I'm sure all of you have similar situations, where you don't want to write a report, but would like to share photos. This is the thread for that.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2011, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This morning I drove to the Laural Highlands, in southwestern Pennsylvania, on a snowy, though not chilly, day. A couple of photos from my outing:

Window overlooking the Youghiogheny River

Ohiopyle Falls...meet Rock

--------------
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2012, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jan 22, 2012: Another training hike in Ohiopyle, southwestern Pennsylvania, to hike the first 4.5mi of the Laurel Highlands Trail. The surface had compact snow, with some icy bits. Conditions weren't too cold (around 17F when I started, and 32F when I finished), except on the hill tops where it was extremely windy.

Two moments stick out for me:
- All the hardwoods had a thin layer of ice, coating the branches, due to yesterday morning's sleet. When set against the sun, the entire forest glittered. Quite magical!
- On the drive back, with the sun out and wet roads, there was a section when the spray created by each car included its own individual rainbow.
Isn't hiking great?

A couple of photos from the day:

--------------
 Post Number: 4
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2012, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Straight talent!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 5
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stunningly beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, thanks guys. :)

By the way, feel free to add photos to this thread, as I plan to periodically, if you're feeling lazy and don't want to write a full blown trip report...

--------------
 Post Number: 7
hoosier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2012, 7:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Upper reaches of Stony Creek in Saint Anthony's Wilderness on a snowy January, 22 2012

This stream crossing is on a faintly blue blazed trail which I know of but does not appear on any printed maps.

Post Number: 8
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2012, 9:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is that east of Cold Spring, off of the vague orange trail?
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2012, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Jan. 25 2012, 9:02 am)
Is that east of Cold Spring, off of the vague orange trail?

Yes it is.

If you have a copy KTA section 7&8 Appalachian Trail map.
There is a blue blazed trail which runs between the orange blazed trail.  This trail is not shown on the KTA map. It starts just to the west of where the orange blazed trail turns in a westerly direction and runs in a southerly direction crossing Stomy Creek and the steeply up and old skid road ?. to a junction with the pink trail shown on the afroemation AT map.

The north end between the orange trail and the creek crossing is very hard to follow and I usually end of just bush whacking thru the mostly open woods.

If you find the follwing sign you are on the blue blazed trail. This is on the north side of the stream crossing

Post Number: 10
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2012, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So were you snowshoeing it?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2012, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(aseege1 @ Jan. 25 2012, 12:34 pm)
So were you snowshoeing it?

Yes I actually did.

Was about 6 inches of snow on the ground. Would have been easy to bareboot. But the MSR snowshoes added a nice traction factor where the blue trail drops very steeply off of secomd mountain.
 Post Number: 12
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Loudon Heights/Harpers Ferry, mid January

artificial waterfall on Piney Run near US-340

remnants of Dam #3 on the Potomac

balanced rocks on Loudon Heights Trail

views from Split Rock, Loudon Heights

More Photos

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.  Appalachian Trail crossing the Pochuck Swamp just east of New Jersey route 517

Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2012, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Slippery Rock gorge, western Pennsylvania

Never even managed to get to the trailhead today, due to unplowed, snowy roads, despite trying four different approaches... :(

Heading home, tail between my legs

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2012, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mid State Trail in State Game Lands #97, Biddle Place south to north end of the "southern dip," about 8.5 miles round trip.

Minor view from Biddle Place grassy road

Typical moderately rocky MST section

Typical non-rocky section

Overhanging rock layer

Pipeline view west to The Narrows near Bedford

Pipeline view to east, Sideling Hill with Turpike and US-30 descending to Breezewood in distance

Open section of MST

More Photos

(Not a very difficult hike, except for the beginning.  The climb out of Biddle Place got me again, heading up to the MST.  Then a nice level woods road/access lane walk on bench, followed by an ascent the rest of the way up Tussey Mountain.  This climb not as bad as the first, and only the last 100 feet or so is rocky.  The ridgeline walk in this section never gets very rocky for any long amounts, which was kind of surprising.  Ridgeline varies in width from rather wide, to road width, to dull knife edge.  Good winter views, plus better views from pipeline.  Pipeline to southern dip was longer than what I thought I had read in the guidebook, but I mis-remembered.  

Back on the bench woods road, I decided to take a different way down, suing older woods road visible on aerial photos.  Had not marked them on map, and took wrong one.  heading back to car consisted of bushwhacking along steep sidehill, interrupted by old woods roads, often overgrown, which ended at random points.  Finally made it back down.  

Plenty of wildlife, especially deer, grouse, vultures.  Two ticks.  Saw a turkey at the start of the drive out of the Game Lands.)

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2012, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like that section was fairly clear, it rarely seems to be able to be cleared but I thought I heard that the KTA got through it last summer for the first time in a while.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2012, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like you had a nice hike, on a gorgeous day. I like that second shot.

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2012, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, the trail has clearly seen some care.  When I did the hike from the south a couple of Octobers ago, I turned around at the northern end of the trail register dip because of thorny and dry growth overtaking the trail.  That was gone last week.  Only one blowdown that I can recall.

The one issue of it being a nice day in late winter/early spring is that, with the sun being out, but no leaves, I did get a little sunburned, especially my right arm.  (And today, a fair amount of my hike was in recently logged areas...)

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2012, 7:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A foggy morning on the Appalachian Trail south of High Pont New Jersey on Saturday MArch 17, 2012

Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2012, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, what are they doing with those PA rocks? :D
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2012, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Mar. 19 2012, 11:38 am)
Hey, what are they doing with those PA rocks? :D

Not sure who ever came up with the ideal that the Pennsylvania rocks end at the Pennsylvania/New Jersey border.

Because the AT from Route 23 south to Brink road is a bad as Pennsylvania :p
 Post Number: 22
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pictures, Hoosier.  I always like fog photos.

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 23
timpows Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2012, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosier @ Feb. 10 2012, 1:25 pm)
Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.  Appalachian Trail crossing the Pochuck Swamp just east of New Jersey route 517

I love this part of the A.T..  The best thing has to be the suspension bridge.

--------------
In the desert you can remember your name, for there ain't no one for to give you no pain - Bunnell/Dewey
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2012, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cowans Gap/Creek Crossing Circuit

From Cowans Gap, south on Tuscarora, then west/downhill on Log Slide, short road walk south.  Then uphill/west on Creek Crossing, then back down same way, logging road north to Cameron Trail, east on that to Plessinger, followed that north to the lake, walked around the lake.  Just over seven miles.

Tuscarora Trail nearing the summit of Tuscarora Mountain

Western view from the horrendous logged area.  Turnpike ascending Sideling Hill.

Northeastern view from the logged area

Big Mountain as seen from the Creek Crossing Trail (which doesn't cross any creeks)

Western view from rock ledge just south of the top of the Creek Crossing Trail (yup, found another overlook in the area)

Odd overhanging rock ledge just south of above overlook

Eastern view just south of the overhanging ledge

Little Aughwick Creek along the Plessinger Trail

Choppy Cowans Gap Lake on a very windy day

More Photos

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 25
Duplicitous Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2012, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosier @ Feb. 10 2012, 1:25 pm)

I've done this "boardwalk hike" a couple times as a day hike.  It's right across from Stairway, which has (arguably) the best views in NJ.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2012, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd recently spent a week in the southwest (trip reports in the Storytelling/Trip Reports forum). This morning was my first hike, since coming back. I hiked the first 8mi of the Laurel Highlands Trail, in western Pennsylvania; after all of the red rock I'd seen so much of in the southwest, the lush greenery was a shock. Loved it! Here are a few photos from the day...

Laurel Highlands: Misty hillside

Laurel Highlands: White water

Laurel Highlands: Decorated

Laurel Highlands: Woodland path

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2012, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Area of scorched forest in Pennsylvania French Creek State Park. Results of one of the largest wildfires in Berks County Pennsylvania in the last century

Ferns seem to be the first things growing almost four weeks after the fire

Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2012, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Went to the Frederick Watershed to revisit Clifford Hollow.  Also take a few trails I've not done yet.  Surprisingly, the mountain laurel was already starting to bloom.  Pink lady slippers still out, but not looking well.  Saw only nine people.  Not that difficult of a hike except for the final climb up Kubla Khan.

Additional photos

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 29
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2012, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Otter Creek WV in May. Water was very high.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 30
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2012, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also in Otter Creek. These boulders appear out of nowhere after a long uphill hike through endless rhododendron.
Solid rain and fog all day. It was a fantastic solo hike, not a soul to be seen all day.

Attached Image
Attached Image
74 replies since Dec. 18 2011, 8:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "Photos without a report" thread
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions