2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Leg-stretcher hike, and experiment< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2012, 5:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got an iPhone recently, and I've also been trying to think of how to improve my TR's. Despite the poor online reviews, today for the couple of hours I had available this weekend (that I decided not to spend on the ArcGIS computer, I'll get back to that in a couple of days I think...) I downloaded the Backpacker GPS Trails PRO app and hit the trail.

Link if this works

A few things I noticed about this report:

-It tripled my distance (roughly), and the profile looks weird.

-I must inadvertently have hit the pause button partway through the hike and only noticed two trail junctions later, so there is a missing part of the track. Maybe that's what confused the stats.

-The only other hiker I saw was a dog walker. That may be the chief use of this SGL tract, amid exurban homes with no view from the summit.

-The trails are unblazed, I took a couple of pictures along them to show the treadway.

-I roadwalked not just back around to the car but over to the nearby Middletown watershed for some added length and interest.

-Although I do pick up trash along trails when out by myself, a 55 gallon drum with closed ends and bungs, floated onto the trail by TS Lee's high water, isn't something I'm going to mess with.

-I was sorely tempted to cross an un-posted cornfield along the PA Turnpike to return to the car, but since I would have stumbled into the back of a McMansion, I'm glad I didn't take the short cut.

-The app reviews indicated this was a battery hog, this hike is all of 5 minutes' drive away from my home charger and after two (not six!) hours in continuous 3G coverage the iPhone battery was down to 50%. Probably not the best choice for documenting the backcountry.

-I couldn't use my main backpacker.com identity, there was a vague note in the documentation that some accounts are too old.

All in all I'm not sure this app improves my TR's - although walking around with just one device, instead of trying to fumble a couple, might be on the right track. Would welcome any suggestions.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tried this app again at Musser Gap in Rothrock SF (yes it is in Rothrock SF, they bought this land about 5 years ago for a supposed supplemental trailhead to Shingletown Gap, although not much apparently has happened since) yesterday, got a little better results. (No pictures and didn't reach the MST, too dark.)

One weird thing about the elevation profile in this app is that it gives elevation on y axis but TIME (not distance) on the x axis in the web report.

Also to those people who really believe the GPS reported elevation, note that I turned on and off the iPhone at the same point on the truck bed, the net elevation change of 17 feet is thereby bogus. :)
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2012, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tried it once more: at supposedly PA's largest roadless gap, north side of Little Juniata River's passage through Tussey Mountain. MST North of Little Juniata

It was my first time to this locale where Tom Thwaites awarded a rare exclamation point (i.e. "View!") on the old black and white maps. The way up was more interesting than the usual MST climb of Tussey Mountain, as it ascended a spur ridge to dinkey grades and an incline besides the usual rock garden on top.

The route didn't get paused this time but for some reason it tripled my distance again. I wonder if the people who usedta couldn't maintain this here forum got promoted to iPhone app development for Backpacker.
 Post Number: 4
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2012, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't even have a clue what you're talking about, the only apps I have are computer based, I don't use anything else.

You didn't get lost so something worked... haha

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2012, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did two leg-stretcher hikes yesterday morning while going point to point on business travel, and also a hike last Friday in between too.

Hike 1 at McConnells Mill State Park ensured that I walked all the NCT in the park, not just the long section that GaliWalker takes lots of great pictures of, but also the short section trail-east compass-north of Eckert Bridge. I circled back to Alpha Pass (why that name, btw?) using the Kildoo Trail, the 100 or so steps from the mill and the hard road. This time the app seems to have doubled rather than tripled my distance.

Given my ticked-off-ness at the Backpacker app I also downloaded the Columbia app. I wasn't bold enough to try to run both of them at the same time so I used it on other hikes.

Hike 0 was a variation of the Fayetteville Kaymoor Loop in New River Gorge from MRHyker's site. It shows up correctly on the iPhone but after uploading it doesn't show up at all in Safari, and the map on IE is a crabbed vastly simplified polygon and not the actual route. Also the geographic tag on the route is where I first fired up the app at home (eastern PA) and not where I first started recording (southern WV) which is not a good thing.

Hike 2 was a quick jaunt in the frontcountry of Moraine State Park, close to but quite different from McConnells Mill. I must have pocket paused the track as the iPhone only shows from the parking lot to where I turned on the bike trail. The link on IE shows only a quadrilateral polygon.

Any other recommendations out there for similar apps? Both of these clearly still have major issues.
 Post Number: 6
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2012, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I still haven't done your Hike-1 this year in one shot, which is a favorite destination of mine, since it's so close to home. Good reminder that I need to get myself in there again to do the whole thing. :D

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2012, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I noticed the Backpacker GPS Trails Pro app got updated so I thought I would try it again.

Link to Butler Knob hike

The route is a very recently relocated (not on the Internet map yet) portion of Standing Stone Trail, passing a new shelter and newly passing the actual view from Butler Knob. We continued on an in-and-out to the Hall of the Mountain King and the Throne Room (possibly PA's best vista, on any trail in the entire state) since my wife had never seen it. Crowds stay away as it's in a remote area made even more so by what might be the roughest road to a trailhead in PA. It's a good thing we didn't rely on the iPhone GPS directions to get there, they wanted me to drive straight up the side of the mountain on an imaginary route to the coordinates.

The position went a little bit cuckoo while we were looking at the new shelter area, but otherwise the app distance and profile look much more reasonable than my previous tries at iPhone trip reporting.
 Post Number: 8
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2012, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've not downloaded the track yet, but this one looks significantly better than must phone-derived GPS data, which seem to be much more noisy.

Is photo 18 taken from what the guidebook calls the King's Chamber?  We missed that, right?

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2012, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AegisIII @ Aug. 13 2012, 9:36 pm)
Is photo 18 taken from what the guidebook calls the King's Chamber?  We missed that, right?

I think so, and yes, respectively. There were 2 yellow blazed trees leading over to it. I asked someone who I thought would know over the weekend and didn't get confirmation.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Double header today. Yesterday, with backpacking trip cancelled I wound up trying to go through the mess in the family room in partial preparation for my daughter's birthday party. Considering that's the room with 6 file drawers of hiking maps and 6 feet of shelf space occupied by hiking guides, the sun was beckoning a bit much to also stay in Sunday.

On the shelf was "60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Harrisburg" so I started thumbing through that in search of places I hadn't been. Susquehannock State Park in far southern Lancaster County (definitely nowhere near Susquehannock Trail) appeared as the largest venue in that book where I had not been. Having driven along the Lancaster County side of the Susquehanna River many times before, I programmed the trailhead GPS coordinates into Google Maps on the iPhone and set off.

When I got to those coordinates somewhat over an hour later (Lancaster County is larger than some folks give it credit for), I found I hadn't actually brought the book but the State Park entrance kiosk was well supplied with maps (PA State Park maps are oh so much better now than they were 10 years ago).

I started the Backpacker GPS Pro application and results are here.

This ever updating app has appeared to make some of the links earlier in this thread inoperable, but for the moment they are all available here I think, the maps app never did recognize this particular backpacker.com identity so I am "ki0eh2"

Aiming easterly on the Pipe Line Trail, the map said it started at a picnic pavilion, I looked out from the picnic pavilion for a while until spying what might be a pipeline cut in the trees, on the far side of a septic sand mound. After going around the septic system I found a routed post and off I went. This dug trail with minor horse poop ended at the eastern park boundary so I circled right on what I took to be an old firewood lane in the back forty. It descended into a side hollow where there was a constructed spring enclosure, then climbed back up to the brow of the main hollow (the bottom of which is outside the park). So far a pleasant enough walk through reverted farmland, a bit reminiscent of much of Finger Lakes Trail. Gradually the river became visible through the trees. I crossed over one point that didn't have a non-winter view through mature trees, then kept going to another parking area. (Interestlngly, the "60 Hikes" book starts its circuit description from this parking lot, not the one at the GPS coordinates.) Quickly the main drive-up overlook came into view, offering a wide sweep over Conowingo reservoir, the short rocky river and the Norman Wood Bridge with Holtwood Dam behind.

Edging around the grass area trying to find the next alleged trail I saw some fairly large holly trees along the edge. I found the Overlook Trail marked by a post and continued on the wooded brow, passing 2 trail junctions before coming to a 3rd at the Wissler Run overlook. This second slot view looked straight up the east shore of the river, revealing the base of the Muddy Run pumped storage facility in all its glory.

The park map showed that I would have to retrace the Overlook Trail to the Fire Trail to reach the Rhododendron Trail, but instead I saw an obvious dug constructed trail to the left after turning my back on the overlook. So I took it, it appeared and soon proved that it would go more directly to the bottom of Wissler Run. In fact it went there so directly that someone had providentially left grab a hold rhododendron in place running down the fall line of the slope. The trail ended at the top of about a 4' landscape tie retaining wall so I jumped down to the Rhododendron Trail.

Shortly another unblazed trail headed left, the park map showed this continuing to a parking area at the pump storage facility, so why not try it? Near the bottom the trail passed some old foundations then came out at a gas valve set above a place where two pipeline aerial crossings went over Wissler Run. Instead the trail appeared to continue over the run at the outer edge of railroad ballast over a culvert so I emerged at the mouth of a tunnel entrance to the pumped storage facility. The park map showed the trail continuing so I did as far as the edge of the parking lot. A pickup truck load of folks showed up at this point and disgorged on the river bank, I wound up going back through the tunnel and up the trail.

The Wissler Run Park of Exelon has a sign coming from River Road just south of PA 372, and actually is far easier to reach from most of the world than the State Park parking lot, with a better maintained road in to boot. The one problem with starting here is that the trail I took down, is less obvious going up as you have to pass a warning sign for the gas valve set and then the fenced enclosure for the gas valves without hint of any blazes, before you reach the stone surfaced dug sidehill trail.

After this brief excursion into heavy industry and back on Rhododendron Trail, I climbed quickly away from Wissler Run almost to the brow, then after a brief traverse headed back all the way down into a much wilder tableau, among the sharp shiny-flecked boulders familiar to hikers in other Susquehanna River Gorge venues, with encroaching rhodies along the stream. Reaching a 4-way trail junction, I continued on Rhododendron Trail as it got wider and more accommodating of multi-users. It passed another constructed spring and the foundation of a pioneer home (of a Revolutionary War veteran, according to the blurb on the park map), then reached old wagon-road width as it passed another junction or two then emerged at a disused stone structure labeled "Landis House", which turned out to be right next to the parking lot.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Today's other hike was at Tucquan Glen, clearly a more popular venue than the State Park. Much of this trail is an abandoned eroded road, with bypass trails around where the road either forded the creek or was decimated by it. (Kind of like the bottom of Ramsey's Draft in this respect.)

My trace is here.

Even though I forgot the "60 Hikes" book it turned out when I returned to pick it up off the family room floor, that I had done the exact hike described. I had thought I had only been on the Conestoga Trail through here, but the south side trail seemed very familiar to me so perhaps I did it before on a group Conestoga Trail section hike.

The "60 Hikes" book said the trail started at a wooden footbridge over a branch of Tucquan Run, actually it seems there may have been a change of heart of an adjacent property owner and/or a flood, as the new blue blazes ford the stream (it might be easier in high summer, but I came very close to boot drench here).

Also, the loop trail on the north side is now yellow blazed, not blue. The trailhead kiosk map alleged there was also a white trail further up the north side, but I didn't take it.

Personally if I were to come back with the kid I would run the loop in reverse direction. The south side trail near the river is the scenic highlight with bouldery cascades, and I like looking upstream instead of continually turning.
 Post Number: 12
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tucquan is one of the prettiest areas in the Holtwood area IMO with Pecquan Creek, Otter Creek, Mill Run and Oakland Run being nice places to visit on a summer day.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After a couple of updates I'm back to trying the Backpacker GPS Trails Pro app

If this works it will show a circuit hike at Pipestem SP, WV

It appears that the app finally worked at a profile with meaningful distance, photos, etc. (That probably means it will shut down next week.)
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a visit to the Fred Woods Trail near Driftwood, PA:

Link if this works

The north section of the loop to the rocks is much more used than the south part of the loop which is more typical fern-hidden rocks. The hike is unusually flat for even a PA plateau walk but the same cannot be said for the road to the trailhead.

The balloon stem portion of the trail was a little boring, the DCNR trail map showed a parallel logging road that was a bit more interesting (slightly off the edge) and drier but less cleared. The trail probably isn't on the old logging road because DCNR typically reserves the right to let those be reactivated in case somebody wants to log or drill.

I saw a beautiful bull elk beside the dirt road on the way in from the Benezette side. Coming home my GPS sent me through the Quehanna Wild Area so got to help a group of 3 backpackers bail back to their truck.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Link to hike in Landrus area of Tioga State Forest between Arnot and Morris, PA. I was trying to see if there was a circuit hike possibility west of Sand Run Falls, having heard there was a nice view from the top of the old Landrus mine.

Parking for the circuit the way I did it was at a prominent memorial rock to the location of the former coal mining village of Landrus. The circuit began and ended on a yellow blazed ford trail, meeting MST at a signed trail register, then north (toward NY according to the sign, both ways from this long bend in the MST route are north) to the next signed trail junction.

Someone went in to Babb Creek here to create fish habitat structures in the creek within the last two months. Unfortunately it is a new design (to me) with a slippery hard rubber in the middle. I wish they had been neighborly enough to have used the old flat limestone boulder design on at least the closest structure to the blazed ford location. This is always a boots-off ford even in late summer and the fish habitat structures are below and above the ford increasing its water depth. Also by widening the trail to the ford to haul stone and material down they took out some of the young trees along the trail that were blazed, but since it presumably hosted triaxle trucks earlier in the summer the trail is considerably more obvious than it was but not hugely rutted either. So you can wear your water shoes from the car through the ford and put boots on up the other side.

I turned left at the sign for "Old Mine Dump" onto an unblazed fairly wide path occasionally blasted out of the steep mountainside. The MST guide tells me the top is 0.92 km from its bottom. The southwestern of two mine drainage treatment ponds is directly above where this trail disappears into the mine dump. I'm not quite sure what the best way is to get the short distance along the mine dump as pine trees have been planted in it. I paralleled the east side of a stream that proved to be the outflow from the pond. The same pine trees now obscure what probably was once a better view of the upper watershed of Babb Creek.

I was a bit surprised that the road to the pond was somewhat overgrown. I also checked out the other pond visible in air photos, but it adds no more interest.

I circled around on a gradually better used series of gated Forestry roads, the main stem of which I've heard referred to as the Lesley Reese trail. One bit of interest was a wetland at the head of a branch of a trib unnamed on the USGS map that the forester called Rattlesnake Run, at the west end of an old stripping. I took a picture here of a stack of cut and split firewood, there was a small campfire scar nearby. I also passed a location where DCNR had herbicided seedling-killing ferns near one of the intermediate woods-road junctions.

Coming down to where the Lesley Reese gated road meets the MST high water route up west side of Babb Creek, I tried to recall an old trail that was an easy ford of Babb Creek, below an overhanging cliff where Babb Creek flows underneath at low water. After a couple of false starts (that waypoint wasn't on the GPSr I had) I eventually found it. Then I came down the old MST to Sand Run Falls and circled back around to Landrus on MST proper.

It wasn't a bad circuit hike, but I'll admit I was hoping for a better view at the top of that hill. The two spots that would be hard to follow would be at the mine drainage treatment pond, and if you wanted to come on the upper Babb Creek ford trail.

The app has updated a couple more times since my last posting. It still seems to be working better than when I first got the app, but it's not uploading to Facebook anymore. (Maybe I should be glad.)
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2014, 5:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, now with the big man in the middle problem I had to update again to iOS 7 and of course more updates on the Backpacker GPS Trails Pro. So I let it run on my glop/mud hike on an unplowed multi-use trail-knowing the asphalt was under there somewhere, limiting the sinkage at least (and, at the end climbing the hill, microspikes for the slippage)

Jonathan Eshenour Memorial Trail (mostly) hike - the non-tourist side of a tourist town.

The updated app now posts to Facebook again, but it doesn't wait for wifi to do so anymore. It developed another annoying issue - it would crash out sometimes when I took a mark point photo. I would be able to get back into the app and a dialog box would come up asking if I wanted to continue the trip - and it did, keeping meaningful distance and profile (unlike earlier versions described above). I think it crashed out when I waited long enough between mark points that the phone would lock, although it occurred well after I unlocked it and went through several screens.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2014, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tried going out again today with the app, with late start and deeper glop and family phone calls I pretty much got to see that if I "pause" the track then "stop recording" at home it will sync to the wifi and not show my home as the hike endpoint.

How the new Trout Run trailhead at Swatara State Park hooks to the old trails crossing lower Trout Run
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2014, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

More hiking at Swatara State Park, mostly newly surfaced trails but looped with an (honestly, frequently skipped) section of the A.T.

Unlike last time, could see the ground

The loop was formed with a brand new bridge over Swatara Creek, connecting a newly surfaced old rail grade with a newly surfaced abandoned road. The bridge is impressive, with each span slightly out of line with the other one, made out of the pretty rusting cor-ten type steel.

The view upstream didn't make it, I about dropped the camera, and when I hit the "retake" button the app crashed. That was the only crash of the app for the day, though.
17 replies since Feb. 12 2012, 5:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Leg-stretcher hike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions