2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cranberry Backcountry?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tomas Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2012, 12:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So at the trailhead of the Wilderness I read a small piece about the Cranberry Backcountry and say it adjacent to the Wilderness on the map. Never heard of the place and was wondering what it is like.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2012, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Backcountry was an area largely to the west of the Wilderness that was managed essentially as de facto wilderness. Much of the Backcountry was incorporated into the Cranberry Wilderness in the recent expansion.

From Wikipedia:

The Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 added 11,951 acres of adjacent land to the Cranberry Wilderness. This area, which was previously known as the Cranberry Backcountry, is located between the Williams River and the Cranberry River. It protects several tributaries of both the Williams and Cranberry Rivers which are popular trout streams. The area already has an excellent trail system connected to the original wilderness.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 3
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2012, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It all seemed the same to me, except the Backcountry had signs at trail intersections and the odd foot bridge here and there.  
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2012, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any on-line site that has a map of the place?

--------------
 Post Number: 5
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2012, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only difference is the backcountry is managed like the Nat Forest, trails marked, maintained, ect....

Wilderness is not maintained, nothing marked, very rarely maintained ect....
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2012, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://midatlantichikes.com/cranberrybc.htm
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jnk556 @ Apr. 11 2012, 5:04 pm)
The only difference is the backcountry is managed like the Nat Forest, trails marked, maintained, ect....

Of course now that it is all wilderness the difference is academic.

jnk's second line is contradictory in that he says that it is not maintained and then he says its very rarely maintained which implies some maintenance. In fact, occassionally some work is done in Wilderness areas but very limited and only under certain conditions. In addition, you may see signs and trail markings in Wilderness areas but they are usually leftovers from times before the area was declared Wilderness. Otter Creek Wilderness even had two shelters until just a few years ago when they were removed. Expect little and be surprised if you get more.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2012, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yea. I ran into one sign that threw me for a loop because it was inaccurately marked. But I decided to trust my map and compass instead of a faded sign.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2012, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Apr. 11 2012, 7:59 pm)

(jnk556 @ Apr. 11 2012, 5:04 pm)

Of course now that it is all wilderness the difference is academic.

jnk's second line is contradictory in that he says that it is not maintained and then he says its very rarely maintained which implies some maintenance. In fact, occassionally some work is done in Wilderness areas but very limited and only under certain conditions. In addition, you may see signs and trail markings in Wilderness areas but they are usually leftovers from times before the area was declared Wilderness. Otter Creek Wilderness even had two shelters until just a few years ago when they were removed. Expect little and be surprised if you get more.

heh, sorry about contradicting myself :laugh: Yeah, what I was shooting at was some of the stuff is lightly maintained, every so often, but not like most of the trails in the NF.  

Arfcomhkr and I discussed this, this past weekend actually.  Pretty much what it amounts to is expect rough unmarked trails in wilderness, and marked maintained trails in the backcountry/NF.  They do a little bit of stuff in the wilderness areas, but not much.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2012, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No problem jnk. Though there are several NF trails that are pretty unmaintained also, really folks just need to be ready for anything.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2012, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You never know about trail maintenance in the Mon.  Otter Creek seems to get a lot, especially up in the Laurel thickets on Green Mountain before and on the top of Possession Camp. They have to cut that all the time or the trail would vanish in a year or two.  

Some other trails not in the wilderness areas get next to nothing, like the trail over to High Falls.  The East side of Shavers has been washed out and chewed up by horses for about five years now.

I run into trail crews during the week here and there.
 Post Number: 12
Hollowdweller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2012, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The woodsy parts are not really any difft than wilderness.

However along the Cranberry there is the road that is gated and gravelled and it has the 3 sided shelters with outhouses and grilles where you can sleep.
11 replies since Apr. 09 2012, 12:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cranberry Backcountry?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions