2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Loyalsock Tr campsite question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2012, 10:53 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doing Brunnerdale to Worlds End in a couple of weeks. I wanted to camp the first night at about 5 miles in. Which is the best site for a large group - Kettle Creek Vista or Dutter Run?

When we did a hike with Jmitch a year or 2 ago we found a nice campsite on the Worlds End Trail. I plan to use that one on the second night. Since I've already done the next section of the LT we'll be jumping off onto the Worlds End Tr for a quick ending. Does anyone have any info on the condition of that trail?

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kettle Creek Vista is a larger site.  There is even a larger site on Kettle Creek itself.  

If you camp at the vista and the moon is out, it will be experience you won't forget.

Dutters Run is very scenic with many waterfalls, but the sites are smaller.

Worlds End TR, where it leaves the x-country ski trail goes through some meadows which can be overgrown, but its was blazed alright.  I might be up there tomorrow so I'll let you know.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2012, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Jeff. Kettle Creek Vista might be a bit too early in but I'm planning on a late start with the first and third days being short with most of the hard work on the middle day. I'll see where the Kettle Creek site puts me. Also, the Worlds End Campsite that we found might be too close to the end. I might stop the group at the top of Ketchum Run. That will make the middle day about 8 miles. I haven't looked at the E.G. profile yet so that has to be taken into consideration.

I sent you an E-mail a week or 2 ago. Did you get it?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't get an email, MrH.

I was on the Worlds End Tr this weekend.  This system now has numbered junctures.  I recommend 6-10-11-14-13.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd1....613.pdf

There is a sign for the WET at the LT.  Trail is in good shape, mucky and brushy in a few spots.  But there is now often a treadway.  Blazed yellow or blue.  

Between 10 and 11, the WET leaves Coal Mine Rd and enters a nice pine plantation; there is a good campsite there, and a nice spring along the trail.

Between 14-13, there may not be frequent blazes, but the main path is clear.  It is a nice woodland walk.  I prefer it to the 12-13 route.

At 13 there is a trail sign for the WET.  From there to WESP, the trail crosses a few meadows, although a little brushy, a trail is evident.  The WET then drops along very steep terrain via sidehill.  Trail is in good shape with a few blowdowns.

On the LT in Ketchum Run, there is a new bypass for Rodes Falls.  RX4 trail below Lees Falls is now abandoned.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2012, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the scouting and the link. It's much better than the park map. I'm resending that E-mail.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 6
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How is the water along the LT these days?  Still safe to drink?

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2012, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Water is fine.  On the section I hiked, no sign of drilling or seismic testing along the trail.  Situation might be different on the western end of the trail.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any colors up there yet? Is that new by-pass between Lee and Rode Falls obvious? Can we still see Lee?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fall colors are looking great, higher elevations are nearing peak.

The new re-route is obvious, LT still passes above Lee's Falls.  The re-route takes the trail higher above the water along the section where it was very close to the creek.  RX-4 is abandoned, although I thought that trail was more fun and challenging to hike.

There is a new by-pass for the Rode's Falls ladder, but I missed that trail juncture when I last hiked there.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MrH,

the colors in the Loyalsock SF are looking great, probably the best foliage in the past few years.  You should have a good trip.
 Post Number: 11
DersuUzala Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2012, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmitch @ Sep. 03 2012, 2:37 pm)
I didn't get an email, MrH.

I was on the Worlds End Tr this weekend.  This system now has numbered junctures.  I recommend 6-10-11-14-13.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd1....613.pdf

There is a sign for the WET at the LT.  Trail is in good shape, mucky and brushy in a few spots.  But there is now often a treadway.  Blazed yellow or blue.  

Between 10 and 11, the WET leaves Coal Mine Rd and enters a nice pine plantation; there is a good campsite there, and a nice spring along the trail.

Between 14-13, there may not be frequent blazes, but the main path is clear.  It is a nice woodland walk.  I prefer it to the 12-13 route.

At 13 there is a trail sign for the WET.  From there to WESP, the trail crosses a few meadows, although a little brushy, a trail is evident.  The WET then drops along very steep terrain via sidehill.  Trail is in good shape with a few blowdowns.

On the LT in Ketchum Run, there is a new bypass for Rodes Falls.  RX4 trail below Lees Falls is now abandoned.

"may not be frequent blazes" lol!  they forget that spot?  'cause there's typically a blaze every 5-8 feet!  Williamsport Alpine Club hard at work!

--------------
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in

--------------------------------------
visit my photo album;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenhikrbobo
10 replies since Sep. 01 2012, 10:53 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Loyalsock Tr campsite question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions