2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Upcoming Trek, NW Pa in ANF, Base Camp at Handsome Lake< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2012, 12:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have scheduled a short backpack trek on the Allegheny National Forest Saturday Oct 6 thru Tuesday Oct 9th.  Will be base camping at Handsome Lake Campgrounds along the Allegheny Reservoir.  6 have committed sofar... 3 gray beards and 3 flat bellies.  Will be day-hiking, fishing and doing some trail maintenance of the North Country Trail.

Anyone else interested is welcomed to join.

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
partly cloudy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

John/Ohio  On that weekend, we will dedicating a new shelter along the trail. This will be about 60 trail miles from Handsome Lake CG. Your all welcome to attend.
 Also, if you want a slight diversion,  Sheffield is having their Johnny Appelseed festival. Woodsman competition and small town festival.
 Right now, the reservoir is very low due to not enough rain. But all that means is you gotta walk farther to get to the water to go swimming.

--------------
just another trail grunt in the forest
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PC: thanks for the reservoir level updates and extra-community activities., but I think we're gonna spend most of our time in the woods.  

We may stop at the Bucktail Inn in Marianeville for a meal on our way to and/or from the reservoir,  but that'll be about the extent of our community activities..... unless you have another recommended restaurant.

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 4
LHHT653 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am interested. I am in Washington County. I am guessing this is about a two hour drive for me, which does not bother me at all. My work is flexible. I have done the Bright Angel Trail at the Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch and the Navajo trail at Bryce Canyon, and numerous solo hikes on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail this summer. This would be a great cap to the summer hiking season.

--------------
My photo stuff.

My first impression of the the Grand Canyon was from Bright Angel Trail... When I descended the trail to where the canyon opened up wide, I knew I would never be the same.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

John/Ohio  In answer to your questions,,, the Forest Service does not remove the pump handles for winter. Sometimes the pump freezes in the coldest weather.

And,, the trail work you can do that will be the most improvement::: I have not had the time to get in that area to clear some sever blowdown along the reservoir and above Handsome Lake CG. If you could just "make a hole" thru the most impassable blowdowns would be a great help to all hikers. Once my boat is running again, I'll get up there and clear all the trees.

Thanks for your help, we all appreciate it.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 7:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once camp is set up at Handsome Lake, we'll turn into porcupines & beavers in cleaning & clearing the NCT in the Tracey Ridge area.  Can't wait.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So,, what your telling me is.... your all goin to go swimmin and fall asleep on a log.   Thanks,, pal  ( ha ha )

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't know about the swimmin', but we'll be day-hiking, cigar smokin, fishin', trail clearing and chasin a bear or two from camp.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2012, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As of Saturday, Sept 29, there are 7 in the group: 2 flat bellies and 5 gray beards.  

4 of us will be at Handsome Lake before the original scheduled date of Saturday., Oct 6th.. 1 arriving Monday Oct 1st and 3 on Weds afternoon, Oct 3. The others will be arriving on Saturday, Oct 6th.

Fishing Gear
- Ready
Cigars - Packed Gingerly
Adult Beverage - Stowed Away
Paperback Westerns - Yep

As ALWAYS..."My pack weighs WAYYYY TOO MUCH!"

Now.. what am I forgetting?  There is always something I somehow get a brain fart & subsequently omit.

Will post pics and a TR upon our return.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a fun trip.  Would love to join the group and do some maintenance, maybe next year when stuff settles down around here.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hikingFF77:  

Will try to schedule a winter trek soon to one of the State Parks that have Adirondack Shelters. (I've been to part of the Laurel Highlands & to Oil Creek State Park).  

You might have some suggestions.

Not sure whether it'll be early, mid or late winter, but will keep you posted.  

Will have pics and a TR upon our return.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds good.  Have a great time.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
11 replies since Sep. 05 2012, 12:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Upcoming Trek, NW Pa in ANF
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions