2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Maryland over night, overnight hikes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Godxillax Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 4:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just moved to Havre de Grace MD.  Need to know about any extended trails w/overnight camping within a few hours drive.

--------------
39° 32.690 N
76° 08.415 W
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few hours from Havre de Grace?  No kidding.  I'm a Towson alum and I remember how hard it was to find a place in MD that would allow for true backcountry camping.  (MD is annoyingly known for restricting camping to public campgrounds or designated shelters...also fees for EVERYTHING)  Your best bet in Maryland, in my opinion, for true backpacking/camping would be Green Ridge State Forest.  Just a small backpacking fee and your off.  The AT through MD is never a bad bet - 40 mile hike, yet again, only camping allowed at the designated group campsites.

Since you're out that way though, don't pass up the opportunity to do some dayhikes in Susquehanna or Rocks State Park.  The latter is where Disney filmed a movie a few years back, really beautiful stuff.
 Post Number: 3
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2012, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(aseege1 @ Sep. 11 2012, 11:21 pm)
The AT through MD is never a bad bet - 40 mile hike, yet again, only camping allowed at the designated group campsites.

True. However guerrilla camping is easily done if you are quiet and well off trail.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 4
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2012, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You aren't that far the AT in pennsylvania. Especially north of the susquehanna it is definitely less crowded and more wilderness feeling than the AT in maryland and the Michaux. Not much futher to the Tuscarora trail. If you are willing to drive 3 hours you can reach parts of the Mid State Trail in pennsylvania (the sections in the rothrock and bald eagle state forest). There you have well over 100 miles of trail on State Forest land where you can camp anywhere you can put a tent.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks.  In NY and NJ, I was able to camp just about anywhere I wanted.  Plus there was always public transportation nearby n addition to plenty of loop trails.
In NJ Worthington and Stokes and in NY Bear Mountain and anywhere along the AT.

--------------
39° 32.690 N
76° 08.415 W
 Post Number: 6
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2012, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(aseege1 @ Sep. 11 2012, 11:21 pm)
Since you're out that way though, don't pass up the opportunity to do some dayhikes in Susquehanna or Rocks State Park.  The latter is where Disney filmed a movie a few years back, really beautiful stuff.

Welcome to the area, I just moved out of Joppa.  It's not a camping opportunity, but day hikes through Susquehanna State Park shouldn't be missed.  I finally completed my goal of doing every trail in the park in a single day and I will miss it since I'm closer to DC now.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 7
Squilax Search for posts by this member.
Grumpy Old Bear

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look up Catoctin

Here are a couple of links to get you started...

http://www.nps.gov/cato/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

http://www.hikingupward.com/OMH/CatoctinTrail/

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you..

--------------
39° 32.690 N
76° 08.415 W
 Post Number: 9
Squilax Search for posts by this member.
Grumpy Old Bear

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 12:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The AT in western MD has plenty of opportunities for an overnight. With 6 shelters and 3 campgrounds along its 40 mile length you should be able to pick something.

Only thing about the AT is that there aren't any real loop hikes so if you don't have two vehicles it ill be an in and out hike.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you know of any public transportation to the trail head.
My buddy just took a train to Bear Mountain and his wife will pick him up in Mass.

--------------
39° 32.690 N
76° 08.415 W
 Post Number: 11
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Amtrak (once daily) or MARC (weekdays with the commuters) will get you to Harpers Ferry, walk onto the bridge and you're in Maryland on the A.T.

A less common adventure would take you out on the Amtrak to Cumberland, down the C&O towpath (more frequent camping opportunity and less hard surface than the Great Allegheny Passage west of Cumberland) to the Paw Paw tunnel, out around Green Ridge SF or north on west route Great Eastern Trail (also called Mid State Trail in PA) as far as you want to go - unfortunately some parts of the MST around and north of Everett are not camping legal.
10 replies since Sep. 11 2012, 4:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Maryland over night
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions