2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Weiser SF-HaldemanTract Questions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 10:42 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When the FS sent me the Roaring Creek Tract map they included the rest of their tracts. I was just browsing the map for this one and I think I see a convient overnight backpack route of around 13 miles without retracing steps or a lot of road walking. Would the folks who are familiar with this area consider it worthy as a beginners overnighter?

A much longer hike is possible if the Fawn Kill Tr (I think it's a terrible name for a trail.) that passes through state game lands and private property at Lyken Road is open to the public. Any knowledge on this?

Fianlly, are there any views along the Rim Trail?

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've not been there, but it looks like it would be a good area.  I know there's a good vista up there.  I think the non-Forest/non-SGL land is actually public (watershed?) but I'd have to check to be certain.  I know that area (Forest+Lykens) is apparently rather popular with mountain bikers, so they may have some good maps on the web somewhere.

And I suspect Fawn Kill is just the name for a stream (Danish?).  Kind of like Schuylkill and Murderkill.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AegisIII @ Sep. 15 2012, 10:01 pm)
And I suspect Fawn Kill is just the name for a stream (Danish?). áKind of like Schuylkill and Murderkill.

Polish.

My in laws are from Schuykill, and I think would murder me if I got that wrong.  :)
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least they could have let the fawn grow up and call it Deer Kill or Buck Kill.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 5
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The official A.T. map has been fairly trustworthy for the greater Haldeman Tract area when I've been up there. It borders watershed lands for all of Harrisburg, Elizabethville and Lykens (possibly Williamstown and Tower City too but I haven't been on those) and Williams Valley School District property. The newest A.T. map even includes many of the mountain bike trails in the Lykens watershed. However not all the bordering or inholdings are watershed lands. Dauphin County GIS is online to check parcel ownership, also if you e-mail me a suggested route I will be able to check it out (not sure on the timing, am backed up).
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's the work map I made. Some of the older trails were in the Nat Geo software. The blue trace is the over nighter I'm thinking about. The yellow trace is the extension. For now I'm using some road walking but it would be nice if there was a trail or some easy open woods bushwhacking along Doc Smith Run. I'm interested enough to go up there and do an 8 mile day hike to check it out. I want to see if there is a campable area along Wolf Run.

My AT map was published 2004. Is that the most recent?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This MTB blog seems to be the best compendium of info on the area the MTB community refers to as "Rattling Creek" (the organization Rattling Creek Singletrackers is linked from here but their own blog is a little less generally informative). Beyond what the 2004 A.T. map has, one of the maps on the sirbikesalot site has a "Hop Back Trail" from (dirt) Lykens Rd SEerly to the hard road not as long and windy as the Doc Smith trail that might be a useful passage on your yellow route, although I don't recall seeing signs of that when I've been at both ends of it I also wasn't looking. There is an intriguing dotted line on that map circling around to the entry onto the Lykens watershed of Doc Smith Run and paralleling the run from the SGL boundary north to Lykens Road. I do have a periodic excuse to be in that area so I might take a look within the next few weeks.
 Post Number: 8
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you tried looking up some of the GPS sharing sites to see what routes others have done?  That's how I find most of what I know about trail systems.  (And, a very quick search shows that Garmin Connect has 200+ routes in that area of Weiser.)

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 9
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like an interesting place.  I need to check out that hang gliding overlook, the pics show a great view.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would anyone be interested in doing a scouting day hike with me, perhaps late Oxt early November?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 11
hoosier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Sep. 18 2012, 8:10 am)
Would anyone be interested in doing a scouting day hike with me, perhaps late Oxt early November?

I would be up for that. I've hiked all the trails at one time or another. Also bush whacked from the Fawn Kill trail to the area shown as "Bear Puddles" on your work map

A few of the trails are old woods roads (Gated) and the remaining are nice footpaths. If I'm not mistaken most of these trails where made by a mountain bike group out of Lykens PA. with the permission of the state forest

Most every time I've hiked the area I come across mountain bikers. Unless the trails are snow covered.

Just keep me advised of when you plan on doing a scouting hike.

Bill
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosier @ Sep. 18 2012, 8:23 am)

I would be up for that. I've hiked all the trails at one time or another. Also bush whacked from the Fawn Kill trail to the area shown as "Bear Puddles" on your work map

A few of the trails are old woods roads (Gated) and the remaining are nice footpaths. If I'm not mistaken most of these trails where made by a mountain bike group out of Lykens PA. with the permission of the state forest

Most every time I've hiked the area I come across mountain bikers. Unless the trails are snow covered.

Just keep me advised of when you plan on doing a scouting hike.

Bill

Are the trails signed?

I'm in the process of updating the work map with the trails shown on the MTB site. Looks like a lot of good stuff to do ... a lot more than I imagined.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In your opinion does the Doc Smith bushwhack add or substract from a hike? The Bear Puddles sound interesting.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Bear Puddles are a group of 3 to 5 seasonal ponds in various sizes. By this time of the year they are empty depressions in the forest floor. And most probably would not add anything to the hike. Best time to check them out is in early spring when still filled with snowmelt or runoff from the áspring rains. Lots of wildlife congregates at these ponds during that time of year

It is just as easy to do the short bush whack off of the grassy woods road called the Luke Trail (Snowmobile trail ) As the Bear Puddles are only a few hundred feet to .30 mile north of this trail

As far as I recall most of the trailheads were signed with square carsonite post with the trail name on. Been at least five years since I've been up.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Found this picture of a typical Trail Sign

Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was referring to a bushwhack from Lukes Tr to Lyken Road ...

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's the revised work map.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Sep. 18 2012, 10:15 am)
I was referring to a bushwhack from Lukes Tr to Lyken Road ...

If you mean along Doc Smith Run from Lukes Tr to Lykens Road passing by the Bear Puddles and then along Doc Smith Run it is a real nice area.

It is sort of thick with mountain laurel the further downstream you follow Doc Smith Run. Sort of easier to stay just above the drainage on the small ridge to the west and intercept the Fawn Kill trail where it bends back to the west. Below this pont the Doc Smith Drainage gets real thick with mountain laurel in some areas

Or you can follow Doc Smith till it gets thick and then and then just move to slightly higher ground on the east along the run till you reach Lykens Road
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Sep. 18 2012, 10:36 am)

Okay with that revised work map I can see your bush whack route. The hiking trail at the north end  of the whack did not exist last time I was up there

As I said it gets thicker with mountain laurel the further down the Doc Smith drainage you go. Oterwise it nice open woods for most of the time.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let me know when, hopefully I can make it since I don't believe we've yet met
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2012, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll keep you posted. I might be able to do it between my last 2 backpacks.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went in there for a brief excursion late today. I parked at the east end lot and found the end of the Hop Back trail at the back of the parking lot (it's not the one with the bollards, look further left, this one has no routed post and is not on the trailhead kiosk map). It is clear, only rocky enough to be interesting, well laid out with no mud, no blazes

The "hiking trail" leaves the Hop Back trail at a sharp curve. I started out on it though it was far more overgrown, perhaps it was cleared 8-10 years ago, no blazes or flagging tape. I lost the trail in open blueberry brush just above a tree stand, wound up bushwhacking up an intermittent (dry, today) stream and saw where a dim path  crossed just below/north of the white marked SGL boundary. I tried following it to the left to circle back to where I had come from, but lost the trail again when it encountered overgrown and blowdown/filled remnants of an old road. I went down/north on the old road and lost it in thick blueberry brush/young trees, with some difficulty bushwhacked back to the Hop Back trail and followed it out to the gravel forestry road Lykens Road. There is no routed post on this end of Hop Back trail either, only a solitary unpainted aluminum blaze facing Lykens Road nailed to a tree at the intersection.

I went west on Lykens Road until the approximate point where the other end of the "hiking trail" supposedly intersected it, just east of Doc Smith Run. I went SW on what seemed like a recently laid railroad bed on flat chunky ballast, that ended suddenly at a pile of fine aggregate next to the run. Looking left, I saw what might be a path and so it was. Unblazed and rarely cleared, my ankles kept me on the trail through thigh-high berry brush all the way up/south to a large rock pile by the SGL boundary. It seemed like the path continued over the rock pile, maybe to someone's special sit spot by the run, but didn't see where if anywhere it went beyond that. I tried circling left at the rock pile easterly following the boundary, but the path was much less distinct and I didn't really want to do a longer version of the same bushwhack I had already done. With darkness and my next obligation pending, I backtracked to Lykens Road and out.

Bottom line, the Hop Back trail exists in great shape; the loop "hiking trail" south of it might have once existed, but not much more than a figment of trailbuilder's imagination. It was about the same condition as Ponds View trail in Martin Hill wild area, minus the flagging. The more reliable portion of the "hiking trail" parallels east side of Doc Smith Run north of the SGL boundary, fortunately that's the portion of it MR wanted to use.

Maybe I'll next try going from that area south to/from the Bear Puddles, also it should not be far from the southeasterly corner of Fawn Kill trail but I didn't have enough time left to chase after it.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seen on FB

FRIENDS OF WEISER OPEN HOUSE OCT 21 / RATTLING CREEK TRAILS

There will be an open house on Oct 21 hosted by the Friends of Weiser. They are a multi use group supporting hikers, bikers, hunters, horses, and hang gliders in the Weiser Forest, home of the IMBA Epic Rattling Creek Trails. They have done some great work in the past and have some new projects lined up. SAMBA will be in attendance with a booth too, as well as other user groups. The open house will take place from 11AM-2PM in the main parking lot of Haldeman Tract on White Oak Road by the Forestry Office (and by Camp Muckleratz). 2834 White Oak Road, Halifax, PA 17032

They will be offering a Chicken Barbecue as a fundraiser, please preregister at: http://www.bikereg.com/17547  There may be a few extra dinners available day of, but purchasing them in advance will guarantee you get one and help with the planning. The Bike Reg deadline for ordering is Monday Oct 15 at 5PM, so please order now!! We want to show how much the MTB community appreciates these trails and the hard work that is done to keep Weiser such an awesome place to ride. If you preregister for a meal and don't make it, we will donate them to the Bethesda Mission. If you can't make the event but want to make a donation anyhow, you can enter that amount and do it. Please consider becoming a member of the Friends group, they will keep you abreast of their happenings, work days, etc in Weiser.

So, sign up, come out and ride your bikes in the AM, and finish at the Open House to eat and socialize.

Here is the link to the Friends group: friendsofweiser.org

Please preregister and see you on Oct 21
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I checked out the friendsofweiser.org website I saw this note of possible interest to MR's route:

"- Discussion on opening new trails to connect the trail system to the town of Lykens is being considered for 2013. Another possible trail is from the end of Lukes to Fawn Kill."
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2012, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you go to the Lykens area, according to the local TV watch out for Bigfoot
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Oct. 10 2012, 9:38 pm)
I went in there for a brief excursion late today. * * *

The Backpacker GPS Trails Pro iPhone app supposedly had its synchronization issues with iOS 6.0 fixed, so now I can post a link to geotagged photos along my hike, though the track didn't seem to make it this time.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So my backpacks got rained out, I resumed remodeling my house. The interior work, for the most part, is now complete, but I was left with 2 very bad knees. They feel better now and am starting to walk/hike again. Anyone want to do a met and hike starting at the office in the NE corner of the tract - about 8-10 miles?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So my backpacks got rained out, I resumed remodeling my house. The interior work, for the most part, is now complete, but I was left with 2 very bad knees. They feel better now and am starting to walk/hike again. Anyone want to do a met and hike starting at the office in the NE corner of the tract - about 8-10 miles?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What day where you planning on. And what time ?/

Might be able to make it. depending on the above.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check the hiking schedule on my site. I'm free on the Saturdays that are not posted except Dec 15. That's the day I go out to kill a Christmas tree. Can't do Sundays for a while. I bleed purple if you know what I mean.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
30 replies since Sep. 15 2012, 10:42 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Weiser SF-HaldemanTract Questions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions