2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Best campground in Shenandoah?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mavrick Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2012, 6:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking to spend 10/6-10/11 in the park and was wondering what campground we should choose. It is just my wife and I, and we are looking for a nice quite location in a pretty setting.

Looking at Lewis Meadow, it states it is the smallest and best choice for privacy. Although they are first come, first serve. We are going to be arriving early Saturday morning, so would we have any issues getting a spot? Also, are there any recommended spots here? 14-16 look to be good locations.

Big Meadows looks ridiculously large, but there does appear to be a large number of tent campsites on the eastern side that might provide some privacy. It also says there are some waterfalls within walking distance so they might be nice for some evening strolls.

So what would everyone recommend? I just checked the reservation site and every tent site is reserved for the 6th and 7th so we could have some issues on those 2 days. Will we have an issue grabbing a walk in site? How exactly does the walk in work? We will be arriving in the area around 3-4 am. Would we be able to pick a walk in site that early, or do we need to wait until a certain time? Thanks in advance.

Eric
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2012, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Meadows is large and crowded on beautiful weekends, and won't yield privacy, or quiet.  It does have showers, which some do not.  Matthew's Arm is nice, and close to a lot of the park's famous scenery.  It's also where you might have the biggest chance of seeing black bear, if you're into that (I'm not.)  I've heard Loft mountain is nice, but is the farthest south so if you're coming from the northern entrance of skyline it will be a bit of a haul.

hopefully the fall colors will be in full swing for you...great time of year to go.
 Post Number: 3
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That weekend is during fall leaf season, which will be beautiful.  It also means that there is a good chance that all of the campgrounds will be full by the time you arrive  Saturday morning.  If there is any chance you can arrive Friday night, you'll have a better chance to get a site.  The walk-in sites at Big Meadows are almost regular car-camping sites.   The only difference is that, instead of being able to park next to your picnic table, you have to walk 50 feet or so to the camping pad and table.

Although it is further from some of the most well-known parts of the park, you might have better luck at Loft Mountain campground in the south district (I have no idea if any spots are available).  There are still a lot of interesting things to see in the south district.  Being further from DC, it see somewhat less visitation, and the trails are often less crowded.

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 4
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Loft Mt is closests to the best hiking in my opinion. The trails are more remote and have more of a Wilderness feel too them.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
strez Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Matthew's Arm is great and has lots of trails and lots of bear.
 Post Number: 6
mavrick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the information. Yea we are heading up from Florida, so we would be reaching the southern part of the park first so Loft and Lewis Meadows would be our best bets. I think I would like Lewis as it is the smallest and all sites are walk-in, but it is farther up than Loft so we'll see.

It looks like we are gonna be able to come up Friday so we should be able to arrive Friday evening. Hopefully we wont have a problem finding a site.

So other than Old Rag, are there any other can't miss hikes in the park? Also I figure we can do a drive along the Skyline Drive as well one of the days to take in the trees. Anything else?

Thanks again. I'm really looking forward to heading up that way as this will be our first time up there.

Eric
 Post Number: 7
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 1:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check my web site for hikes.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
6 replies since Sep. 23 2012, 6:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Best campground in Shenandoah?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions