2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: loyalsock question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 11:42 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

no_granola and I are attempting a thru hike of loyalsock next week from Tuesday to Friday?  Any suggestions as to an ideal campsite each night, or how to best split up the mileage over four days?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking at 15 mile days?

The western section will be a little challenging with the private land.

Some camping ideas:

Falls Creek upstream of Angel Falls.  Small sites.

Kettle Creek Overlook- great campsite

Kettle Creek- 2 or 3 sites, one near a cascade (hidden swimming hole a few hundred feet downstream from trail crossing)

Dutters Run- 1-2 sites when you first reach the creek heading east.

Ketchum Run- classic campsite, the largest is just west of the trail register along the creek.  Smaller sites across the creek from Lee's Falls and below Rode's Falls.

West Branch Double Run soon after crossing the paved road

High Rock Run, just east along the trail from Worlds End SP

Alpine Falls- smaller, but nice campsite, check out the hidden falls just downstream

Sones Pond- great sites

Haystacks

Sorry I can't make the trip.
 Post Number: 3
strez Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a beaver drop a tree and just miss my tent one night while sleeping at Sones Pond.  Scared the bejesus out of me.  Beautiful site, though.
 Post Number: 4
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(strez @ Sep. 25 2012, 2:11 pm)
I had a beaver drop a tree and just miss my tent one night while sleeping at Sones Pond.  Scared the bejesus out of me.  Beautiful site, though.

That's definitely not a friendly beaver . . .

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 5
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2012, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone know what kind of bear activity is happening up that way about now.  I know those kids are probably pretty hungry about now.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have never seen a bear on the LT yet.  They are there, but I wouldn't expect any problems.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking at the campsites you've laid out in relation to the map, it looks as if there is (more or less) good camping around each 15 mile interval.  Night 1 is the only one that looks tricky.  Seems as if there is good camping at Grandad Run at 12.5, or if we're feeling zesty enough to push on we may just have to throw up our tents somewhere around mile 14.  However, I heard there is a side trail around there that would bring you down to a nice campsite...can't find anything about it tho.
 Post Number: 8
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have seen droppings when I was there years ago, but never saw any actual bears.  I'd like to keep my bear sighting that way forever I think.

Good luck with your hiking, 15 mile days sound rough sitting at my desk right now, but I know you guys can knock it out.

I can't believe that story about Sone's Pond.  I camped there one night when we didn't even know it but we were camping right near Neville.  Beautiful site.  A def. place to return to.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 9
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(aseege1 @ Sep. 26 2012, 9:42 am)
Looking at the campsites you've laid out in relation to the map, it looks as if there is (more or less) good camping around each 15 mile interval.  Night 1 is the only one that looks tricky.  Seems as if there is good camping at Grandad Run at 12.5, or if we're feeling zesty enough to push on we may just have to throw up our tents somewhere around mile 14.  However, I heard there is a side trail around there that would bring you down to a nice campsite...can't find anything about it tho.

We can probably camp along Hessler Branch the first night, looks to be about about 14 miles in.

There's a side trail to a look out tower just before that, but you'd have to hump water in to camp there.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anybody up that way can tell us if there's been much rain lately?

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2012, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Update: We've decided to switch to BFT instead the LT.  We were worried about being able to finish within the four days if something unexpected were to happen - or our legs were shot, especially since I have deadline saturday morning, and NG is tied up beforehand.  Plus, more water, no shuttling, and more bail-out options just in case.  More terrain, but less mileage.  :)

So, same question as the OP but for Black Forest Trail...thoughts?
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2012, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Water should not be a problem on the LT.  Creeks had water when I was on it a few weeks ago.

BFT has bigger, steeper climbs than the LT.  BFT has more views.  LT has more waterfalls.  Both have good camping.  Can't go wrong with either.  In midweek, you would have both trails to yourselves.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PS.  No granola and I called it quits on BFT due to back injuries...oh well.  However, the 20 miles we put in were beautiful, and I can see why this trail is known as the world series of PA hiking.  fall foliage was almost in full swing, and I thought NG was a cool dude.  sorry about getting lost looking for a beer (and finding the trailhead)  lol
 Post Number: 14
DersuUzala Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2012, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've seen bears several times on the BFT.  One was flipping rocks in the stream right behind me as I was camped and cooking up some switchback spaghetti!  I thought, damned big squirrels behind me, oh boy was I surprised!  I kept that fire stoked ALL night - there wasn't a piece of dead wood that was safe for a thousand yards around.

--------------
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in

--------------------------------------
visit my photo album;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenhikrbobo
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
13 replies since Sep. 25 2012, 11:42 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply loyalsock question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions