2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fall viewing hike advice, Cranberry or Shenandoah< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 11:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every fall I've fallen into the rut of heading south to West Virginia's northeast (Dolly Sods/Roaring Plains/Seneca Rocks/Spruce Knob). I need more options! I was thinking of either Shenandoah, or the Cranberry Wilderness/Backcountry area, though I could be persuaded with something nice in the Spruce Knob region.

Specifically, I would lookinf for the following, in decreasing order of importance:

1- Views of ridge lines and slopes, hopefully comparable to this:
North Fork Mountain: Parting a sea of color
North Fork Mountain, WV

2- Waterfalls surrounded by fall foliage.

Any advice would be welcome. Help!

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm...anyone have a coin?

I vote Shenandoah.  Old Rag would prolly look beautiful this time of year, not much solitude tho.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seneca Creek Backcountry ....Waterfalls and High Meadows in the Spruce Knob Area..

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 4
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was in Cannaan and Roaring Plains last week. Foliage will be peeking there very soon. Not so much near Seneca Rocks and Petersburg. Bear dogs and hunters were definitely peaking, tho.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd also recommend Big Schloss, Tibbet Knob and Halfmoon Lookout for views. It's a lot closer to you than SNP, more rugged and isolated as well.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

View from Tibbet Knob

View from Big Schloss

Halfmoon Lookout

White Rocks

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 7
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing is going to be exactly like North Fork Mt. but I would second MR's suggestion of Big Schloss - it is very nice.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 8
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not much of the way of views in Cranberry. Most of the better ones are along the road (150).   Cowpasture trail  should be nice when the leaves are peaking.  There's a spot in the talus up on top of tea creek mountain trail that has a nice view.

For the most part when hiking in Cranberry, you're pretty much in the woods rather than looking out over it.
 Post Number: 9
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Old Loggers Path/Rock Run area in northeast Lycoming County, PA this fall - get there before the frackers do (survey pegs already out)
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, thanks for all the advice! I had been toying with Seneca Creek, but I have been there once before, though wouldn't mind a return trip since I just missed fall on that trip.

Big Schloss looks pretty cool too. The photos MR posted are kind of what I was looking for. Need to start planning now...

--------------
 Post Number: 11
strez Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SNP may be crowded.  Big Schloss is a fantastic alternative.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Stack Rocks hike, though short, has a mini-North Fork Mt feel to it.

Re Seneca Creek: Did you get to explore the High Meadows, especially the "Hidden" or "Lost" Meadow?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 13
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It might be too far and the area probably won't peak for another week or so, but we did Three Ridges last year at the height of fall colors and it was spectacular.  It is located in the George Washington National Forest 15 miles or so south of Shenandoah National Park, just of the Blue Ridge Parkway.  There are more pictures on the blog entry linked above.  

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Oct. 02 2012, 11:10 am)
Re Seneca Creek: Did you get to explore the High Meadows, especially the "Hidden" or "Lost" Meadow?

I didn't. In fact my current plan is to hike from Spruce Knob down the Huckleberry Trail, then circle around on the High Meadows trail and drop down to Seneca Creek and Big Falls. Return the same way. Do you think this would work?

My second option is to spend sunrise at Bear Rocks, maybe doing something in Dolly Sods. Then head to Big Schloss and hang around for sunset. (Yes, I know the two places are a fair distance apart.)

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Spruce Knob plan would work but that is one hell of a climb to get back up. I know it's more pedestrian and very muddy in places and some here do not like the trail but the fastest/easiest way to get to the High Meadows (if you're going to do the High Meadows you really must visit the "Lost Meadows".)is to take the Lumberjack Trail. Don't plan on taking any pictures here. Just pin your ears back and go, son!

If your most interested is cool vistas and not so much the trails in between I'd go to GWNF and park at Wolf Gap Campground. From there it is a 2.0 mile climb to Big Schloss. You can then return to the campground, cross the road and climb 1.5 miles to Tibbet Knob for another shoot. I know you're a strong/fast hiker so that is easily in your scope of capabilities. If you plan it just right, it's a short drive on Trout Run Road to the Halfmoon Lookout Trailghead. That's a longer trek - 4.5 miles one way. I'd use the Pink Halfmoon Cut-off trail to do the major climb. If you could pull that off you would capture a big chunk of what the Great North Mt was about.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the advice everyone - I had a great weekend!

MR, I ended up taking your advice: I hiked up Tibbet Knob and Big Schloss, from Wolf Gap. Big Schloss, in particular, was awesome. For you:

Tibbet Knob view

Big Schloss view

Trip report: http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1160599

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pictures aren't here.

Disregard.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 18
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the Big Schloss view the best. Closest you'll get to North Fork Mt. IMO.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 9:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it had more relief, I'd say that the views from Big Schloss would be equivalent to North Fork Mountain.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All you need to do now is to get up to Halfmoon Lookout and you'd have the trifecta (although there are other nice views of the valley).

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 21
EpicBeast Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey MrHyker, those pictures you posted up there (Tibbet Knob, Halfmoon Lookout, etc.) are those under the Trout Run Valley Circumnavigation?

Me and two buddies were planning on heading out this weekend to catch some fall colors. Originally planned 2 night but it's looking like a one-nighter. For some reason your website won't open up on my work computer.

Done all the Old Rag/Hawksbill/Three Ridges stuff so I was looking for something new. So either the Trout Run or North Fork mountain is looking like the best unless anyone has other suggestions.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EpicBeast @ Oct. 11 2012, 11:41 pm)
Hey MrHyker, those pictures you posted up there (Tibbet Knob, Halfmoon Lookout, etc.) are those under the Trout Run Valley Circumnavigation?

Me and two buddies were planning on heading out this weekend to catch some fall colors. Originally planned 2 night but it's looking like a one-nighter. For some reason your website won't open up on my work computer.

Done all the Old Rag/Hawksbill/Three Ridges stuff so I was looking for something new. So either the Trout Run or North Fork mountain is looking like the best unless anyone has other suggestions.

Yes they are, except for White Rocks and Stack Rocks..

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
21 replies since Oct. 01 2012, 11:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fall viewing hike advice
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions