2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: "lost Meadow" Spruce Knob area< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 4:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Me and Arfcomhkr are making a trip over there in a week or so, and I have heard about this lost meadow several times, but never really figured out where it is.

We plan on hiking from Huckleberry down to High Meadows, to  the creek, and from there who knows where, eventually to come out on Swallow Rock on Gandy.  We're making it a 2 night trip, so I figure we'll have some time to explore.  Figured we'd look for this meadow.  So where exactly is it  :D
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

See this map.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Oct. 03 2012, 7:43 pm)

Thanks.  Looks like it may have been part of a trail that went a lot further to the north at one time.  I have marked the spot on my GPS, so hopefully we will catch it.

Is there any good camping spots there??  are they on water??
 Post Number: 4
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

no water.  once you enter the meadow, take a left at a cairn and head up the hill to a fire ring.  plenty of room for tents...obviously.   it's pretty easy to find cause there's a well beaten path that leads right to it, it's also hard to miss if you follow the litter.  i was up there in march and there was a couple frying pans, a rolling trash can, endless plastic bags, beer cans....the list goes on.
 Post Number: 5
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

jnk,

You could camp anywhere in the meadows. I was there in May 2010 and at the time there was water right where you cut off the Lumberjack Trail. Kind of a boggy area. I do believe this is part of the old trail that continued on. We attempted to follow it past the Lost Meadow but after a while on the old railroad grade decided that the trail probably went on the other side of the knoll. Enjoy.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 6
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The trail is a continuation of the Lumberjack Tr which is an old RR grade. We did the same as V, following the old grade to the right after crossing the Lost Meadow. It was not interesting at all. Never could find a trail on the left.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We'll hit it up and explore it, but since there is no water, I doubt we'll camp there, as we don't pack a lot of water, unless we have to.

I'm not too sure how easy things we'll be to find in those fields either, as the grass is probably pretty high, covering up anything we may need to see, like cairns and such.
 Post Number: 8
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The cairn was enormous, easy to spot in high grass.  Let us know how it goes.
 Post Number: 9
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Grass was not high at all.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll make sure to post up some pics.  Arfcomhkr has never been up high meadows, although he has done basically all of Seneca Creek area.  I haven't done any of it so it's all new to me.
9 replies since Oct. 03 2012, 4:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "lost Meadow" Spruce Knob area
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions