2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fall Backpack - Need Suggestions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Capt00 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 10:50 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anywhere in PA, E. Ohio, Southern Tier of New York, Most of West Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey is fair game.  We're looking for a moderate 25-30 miles and decent water sources, willing to bushwack if necissary.

Something unique would be nice.  Lake hikes are always welcome and preferred in this case.  

The Dolly Sods - Roaring Plains are out for this one.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The wild card in this inquiry is the mention of "lakes," there are few hikable backcountry lakes in the region you specify.

North Country Trail in Allegheny National Forest might be the best bet. Probably someone will come along with more info on this choice soon.

Terrace Mountain Trail at Raystown Lake could be worth a look. The trail itself would be quiet as it's nearly roadless, noise from big motorboats on the lake could be distracting during the day. Maintenance on this trail is reportedly spotty (it's been a while since I was on any of it) so it might be a bit like bushwhacking. Do yourself a favor coming through Trough Creek State Park and add a circuit on the State Park trails description from MRHyker's site, should be fun with the packs off for a bit.
 Post Number: 3
Capt00 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the replies!  I have never been to Tough Creek SP, I will have to check it out!
 Post Number: 4
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Allegheny Front Trail

Quehanna Trail (northeast section)

Loyalsock-Link Loop (shorter than you want, but does feature beautiful Sones Pond)

Old Loggers Path with awesome bushwhack along Rock Run between Sharp Shinned Trail and Yellow Dog Run.  Impressive scenery through there.
 Post Number: 5
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 6:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Otter Creek in WV (if you've never done it). You can make a 25 mile loop in there.

Believe it or not, Oil Creek Sp in PA is a good late fall/early winter hike on the Gerard Hiking Trail. It's 36 miles with lots of good views once the leaves fall.
 Post Number: 6
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmitch @ Oct. 09 2012, 4:37 pm)
Allegheny Front Trail

Quehanna Trail (northeast section)

Loyalsock-Link Loop (shorter than you want, but does feature beautiful Sones Pond)

Old Loggers Path with awesome bushwhack along Rock Run between Sharp Shinned Trail and Yellow Dog Run.  Impressive scenery through there.

The AFT is great, apparently even more now than ever since it finally received overdue trail maintenance.  Black Moshannon Lake is beautiful.  The whole trail may be a bit longer than you need but split it up with Shingle Mill and you should get what you need.
 Post Number: 7
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, I'm looking for places as well.  Shorter trip though.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 8
partly cloudy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Ki0eh for the mention.
 The NCT thru the ANF is getting spectacular. The leaves are changing and the views are opening up. The only lake we got is the Allegheny Reservoir, which the trail follows off and on for about 35 miles. Water is plentiful still. Camping is anywhere you set your tent. AND,, shuttle service can be arranged at a VERY minimal cost. Trail well marked and cleared. New shelter in the southern half of the trail.

--------------
just another trail grunt in the forest
 Post Number: 9
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice, I now have new information to review...

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
8 replies since Oct. 08 2012, 10:50 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fall Backpack - Need Suggestions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions