2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fred Woods Trail, A must-hike in Northcentral PA< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 5:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://endlessmountains.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/fred-woods-trail/

My journey continued on to the isolated Fred Woods Trail.  This dayhike is known for its views and amazing rock outcrops.  It is a very easy, but very enjoyable trail.  The trailhead is isolated, but when I arrived, the small parking area was full.

The trail follows the rim of the plateau, and the steepness of the terrain was shocking from the flat hiking on top.  There would be countless views in the winter.  The views that do exist overlook the towering plateaus and deep valleys.  The Huckleberry Vista was particularly nice, with a narrow gorge to the west.

The highlight are the rocks; do not miss the Rocks Trail.  Amazing place with a chasm you hike into.  Tree roots sprawled and twisted over the rock.  Even a small cave.  Kids would love the rock area.

This is a wonderful trail that is a pleasure to hike.

Beautiful view

Leaning tree

Entering the chasm

Water Plug Vista
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 12:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those are some really nice shots. The rocks look great. Someone recommended this place to me, but I hadn't seen any good pictures until now. Needs to go on the list!

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll have to check that out, it's not far from one of my current projects.

Possibly one reason GaliWalker hasn't seen good pictures of certain areas yet is he hasn't been there to take them. :)

For instance, I've never seen or taken good pictures of the 1 km running south of the Haunted Vista on Mid State Trail Section 17, it's close to Route 287 between Wellsboro and Morris. Since the 2006 report on the PAHikes web site the trail's gotten better established and also a side trail through the rocks (actually under the main trail) has opened. Plus that's in proximity to all the waterfalls of Tioga County.
 Post Number: 4
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have researched this since you posted it.  Very nice looking place.  I hope to see it myself in person sometime soon.

Nice TR and pics.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 5
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's one of those places I want to go save for how far away it is, especially for the rock mazes.  But one of these days...

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 6
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 5:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is beautiful indeed.  You got some really nice pictures out of it.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 7
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I managed to stop there earlier this week. Very easy trail to the rocks, there's more soil between the rocks and the rocks are a bit higher than the nearest analogue site I could think of (either side of Clay Mine Rd on Section 17 of MST). The Backpacker GPS Trails PRO app seems to have cooperated on this trip so I posted a link in the "Leg-stretcher hikes" thread.
6 replies since Oct. 16 2012, 5:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fred Woods Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions