2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: the sandy thread, updates from where you live< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 3:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

winds are approaching 35 mph here in burke, va...supposed to get worse after 4.  we shall see.  how's it looking for everyone else?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rain since last night, wind gusts but no sustained pummeling. I'd guess we've had maybe 3" of rain so far.  MANY folks reporting flooding locally and most most bridges in MD are closed.  I'm in Silver Spring, MD, about 15 miles north of DC.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video....f235d0a

65th street in Ocean City, MD.  A friend of mine lives a block away, he's evacuated for the first time in his life.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 4
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

College Park, MD, here.  We had our first power blink about 20 minutes ago.  An omen of more fun to come, I'm sure.  Like Jim, steady, heavy rain since last night.

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 5
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.fsvisimages.com/fstemplate.aspx?site=doso1

Blizzard in Canaan Valley. Expecting 2 ft. Just rain here in Wheeling, don't expect much more than that.  Please be careful to all more east.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Winds are howling right now, highest we've seen all day.  The forecast is that between now and 10pm is the worst for us, things should start slowly improving from there.  By noon tomorrow we should be down to mostly just some rain.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 7
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It has been light rain since Saturday. .30" Sat.  .34" Sun. and 1" today. Calling for another inch to inch and a half tonight and tomorrow. The ground is saturated and the streams are rising. Flood warnings posted and high winds of 30- 50 mph expected. These conditions may cause trees to fall and power outages. The center of the storm is sposed to turn north about State College, Pa.  That's 150 miles from here.
 Post Number: 8
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Winds are really picking up, going to be a long night.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 6:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Power stayed on at home, I'm at my desk in DC.  Things here look pretty good.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 10
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 7:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Power stayed on here, too.  Our offices are closed, but with Metro closed, I couldn't make it to work easily anyway.  

The wind was pretty impressive last night.

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 11
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tree missed my car by about 1 inch....whew!  But,  I work in springfield so I was able to make it in to work this morning as things are starting to die down.  Lots of rain but wind is manageable.

for the most part it seems we dodged a bullet for my immediate area, but I wish I could say the same about up north.  my thoughts are with everyone who was flooded out.
 Post Number: 12
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Minimal damage for me. This was a major cannonball that I dodged and for that I am quite grateful. Some neighbors were not as lucky and I'll be out with my chainsaw helping them get out from under their debris.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 13
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How  much snow in WVA... Snowshoe, Elkins, Etc?????

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lots of folks without power here, but we lucked out this time.  Been out and about helping folks clean up today.  Things got pretty hairy for a while.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heavy winds, not a lot of rain.  Lost 11 trees, 7 on my driveway.  Finally chainsawed my way out with help yesterday afternoon.   An easterly wind blew the trees down, they all came down in the same direction.  House is fine.  Yard looks like the tree apocalypse.

Found a bluebird in one of the spruce trees that fell, he flew away, but another got crushed when the tree fell in the storm.  Storms also affect wildlife.

I hope everyone is doing ok.
 Post Number: 16
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got to a working internet connection. Power, cable and internet off on Chestnut Ridge, WV. Landline telephone still up. We have 12" of heavy, wet snow as of this morning. Power went off at 12:40 AM Tuesday morning. Lots of gas appliances and a generator keep things going. Roads finally cleared fairly well today. Didn't lose any trees.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 17
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone heard from BigLoad? LG said he lives in NJ.

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(brownmouse @ Oct. 31 2012, 11:12 am)

There's another thread about Sandy in TR where he checked in

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 19
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No trees down, no power loss, no bison euthanized, Halloween parade cancelled but the 1,900# of donated confectionery is to be given away at police and fire stations tonight.
 Post Number: 20
powderfinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 11:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am in Garrett Co. Maryland.  We got about 2' + of really heavy wet snow. I lost power Mon. night and just got it back Fri. evening. Parents, in-laws and grandparents still have no power.  It's been tough to keep everyone warm and with water.  About 80% of the county was without power at one time with lots of damage from downed trees.
 Post Number: 21
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Oct. 31 2012, 11:25 am)

(brownmouse @ Oct. 31 2012, 11:12 am)

There's another thread about Sandy in TR where he checked in

Yeah, I'm still kicking.  Mrs. big_load is bugging out to her home office for a while, but there's power at work so I'm sticking out the cold and dark at home.

Does spindle have power yet?  She's not far from me, and a lot of her area is still out.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49239558@N04/sets/72157631931183094/

Pics of tree damage.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Multiply this by about 100 to imagine my neighborhood.  When the big lines came down, they pulled smaller lines out from a lot of the houses, so they'll have to be fixed one by one.

Most of us have phone service again, now, but the phone lines are largely down on the ground, too, and the protective covers are torn from the junctions, so that may yet change for the worse.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A typical intersection in our neighborhood, including crushed car.

Edit: This was taken after most of the branches were sawed off to permit traffic.  People are just making their way through all the wires.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 25
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, looked like that at a few places near me, but not everywhere.  I think they were finishing up this past weekend.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 04 2012, 6:27 pm)
Does spindle have power yet?  She's not far from me, and a lot of her area is still out.

She's back on FB, says she has internet so she's got power at some degree.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:17 pm)

Good!  I hope her kids are taking it well.  They're nice kids, but this has been going on long enough to put a strain on families.  Most our neighbors with young children bugged out days ago.
 Post Number: 28
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:17 pm)

She's had power since last Thurs...internet just came back today.  :)
 Post Number: 29
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 6:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow.  Looks like big_load, spindle, and others took a beating.  I live on a tidal pond which connects to the Chesapeake Bay, but when I got back home after a trip the power was already back on and there was only minimal tree damage, none of which was to the house or shed.

Being on the south side of the storm made all the difference.

My youngest daughter in NYC is getting back to normal, but not there yet.

Good luck to all those affected.
 Post Number: 30
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Power just came back on at my place yesterday at 3:15 PM - 6.5+ days out. Still have about 8-10" of snow on the ground and today was the first day since the storm to break 40 degrees.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
38 replies since Oct. 29 2012, 3:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply the sandy thread
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions