2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: the sandy thread, updates from where you live< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
big_load Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 7:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No snow yet here, but 3-5" is predicted for tomorrow with more on Thursday.  That would normally be no problem, but it will further delay restoration.  Also, the roads have been deemed unsafe for the school buses, garbage trucks, and power repair crews, so I expect they will also be deemed unsafe for snow removal equipment.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Byram was definitely hit very hard," Oscovitch said. "Some areas were hit worse than others. Forest Lakes were probably hit the hardest. I can't see them getting power by Wednesday or seven days beyond that. There's downed wires everywhere throughout Forest Lakes and the water company has run out of water."
 Yikes!  That's my township and neighborhood.  No big surprise, though.   A lot of others are in this boat.  A much wider swath of central and NW NJ are equally affected than seems publicly acknowledged.  The damage is less photogenic here.
 Post Number: 33
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I'm finally back online after a week of no power, and the majority of this week with no cable internet.  

I'll update things from the Elkins/Mon Forest area.  Elkins itself got about 16" of snow, or maybe more, it was so wet, you couldn't tell how much was out there.  I had about 2 feet here near Beverly.  Elkins lost power for 2 days, and I didn't get my power back at my house until Monday.  There are still over 3,000 in Randolph county with no power, and 2,700 in Webster.  Pocahontas county didn't seem to be hit as hard with power outages, or damages as the rest of the areas, not really sure why as they are higher than everyone really.

I can't really report on the Mon forest as of now, as I have not been outside of town since this storm, but if they trees around here are any sign of the damage in the forest, expect any trails you may hit up this winter and into next year to be full of limbs, trees, and whatever falls in those kinda storms.  Some of the damage around this area was unbelievable.
 Post Number: 34
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just talked to a guy who skied Whitegrass on Tuesday. No problems getting there but the spruce groves took a real hit.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 35

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, a lot of conifers here snapped off at the base if the roots didn't give way first. Too much wind resistance.
 Post Number: 36
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gald to see ya'll are recovering OK up north and out west.  Those were some hard pictures to look at, sounds like everyone is taking it OK.  I'm glad everyone is safe.
 Post Number: 37

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Power back on at 10 days, 16 hours.

About half my township is still out.  The estimate for most of them is 11/11-11/14.
 Post Number: 38
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 09 2012, 5:02 pm)
Power back on at 10 days, 16 hours.

About half my township is still out. áThe estimate for most of them is 11/11-11/14.

Ye of little faith... wonder if the power companies will hire Nate Silver now?
 Post Number: 39

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Nov. 09 2012, 10:23 pm)
Ye of little faith... wonder if the power companies will hire Nate Silver now?

What they do for plausible deniability?  The last thing they want is somebody who knows the likely outcome, because then they'd have admit how bad it is.

Still, it would have been a great help to know more about when they would be working certain areas.  There was never any chance of them starting here in the first seven days, but they never would have said so.  Given that information, more people would have left sooner (especially those with children) and experienced less discomfort and frustration.

I ate dinner tonight at the local pub.  The people are putting their all into the recovery celebration.  It was quite a scene.
38 replies since Oct. 29 2012, 3:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply the sandy thread
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions