2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dry Run Gorge Loop< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 5:06 pm   Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of my favorite hikes is the Dry Run Gorge Loop in the Loyalsock State Forest.  It is a hike of great diversity, with streams, different forest types, waterfalls, views, and even a secluded back-country pond.  You can also tinker with the route to shorten it, or add a few more waterfalls with a bushwhack.

If looking at the state forest map, the hike begins at the Hillsgrove Ranger Station.  The loop sequence is as follows:
Old House Trail, Stony Run Trail, Old House Trail, Loyalsock Trail, High Knob Overlook, High Knob Trail, back to the ranger station.  This was also a work hike.  I'm a conservation volunteer for the state forest and the Stony Run Trail needed some maintenance from encroaching laurel.

We crossed Dry Run, a sizeable creek that was running well, its waters clear and cold.  The trail took us into a beautiful forest of large white pine.  The Stony Run Trail followed, it is well blazed, but not well established, and very rocky at first.  The trail ascends the glen of Stony Run on an old grade.  At the top are hemlocks and cascades, a nice spot to rest.  The trail enters very thick laurel where we did some trail maintenance.  I brought some clippers to clear the laurel where it was choking the trail.  This is the place to be when the laurel blooms.  

We returned to the Old House Trail and reached the Loyalsock Trail.  After getting a bight to eat at one of the falls, I realized we didn't have enough time to do the whole loop; we spent too much time working on the trail.  A short-cut was in order.  We backtracked to the Dutters Trail, in the glen below we could see several beautiful waterfalls.   We reached the road at gorgeous Dry Run Falls and walked the road back, passing side stream falls and the scenic, secluded Dry Run picnic area with its impressive picnic shelters.    

I hope to return to do the whole loop and visit the hidden pond, one of my favorite spots.

Onto the Stony Run Trail
Beginning of Stony Run Trail

Cascade on Stony Run
Cascade on Stony Run

Dry Run Falls
Dry Run Falls
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
0 replies since Nov. 06 2012, 5:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dry Run Gorge Loop
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions