2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mid State Trail bridge out, North end of section 3, Loysburg Gap< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 8:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some were hoping DEP would provide the permit then DCNR the funds to build a new bridge before the old one totally collapsed. It was not to be, just in time for hunting season the "Swinging Bridge" is impassable, without real hope of a new 85' bridge before spring.

The Yellow Creek "Swinging Bridge" at the north end of Section 3 has become completely impassable, its remnants are posted against use and may be removed soon. A new bridge is slated for construction in early 2013. Until construction of a new bridge on adjacent private land is complete, all hikers and users of the portion of SGL 73 south of Loysburg Gap must follow this detour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not that I'm going to get out that way, thanks for the public safety announcement.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got anything that can cut wire rope? Someone wants to get the local fire company to help demo the remains before someone ignores the signs and needs a water rescue.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wire rope?  That's kinda complicated but it's doable with bolt cutters.  As long as it's taunt.  There's also cable cutters for heavy gauge stuff, but I don't know if regular electric ones would work or not.  When it doubt, sawzall.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW: I don't know if I'd try hydraulic tools, like the jaws of life, sometimes that cable can twist the blades and that's not good.  Although an O-cutter tool should be able to do it depending on how taunt the cable is.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What protection would one wear to keep strands from poking you in the eye (or somewhere else) if you use a sawzall? I don't get to hang with the FF community, had to look up the O-cutter...
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice.  I think standard safety glasses would work.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Soon to be history:

The Mid State Trail Association will be holding a dedication ceremony for the Yellow Creek Bridge in Loysburg Gap, South Woodbury Township, Bedford County at noon on January 25th at the bridge site, followed by the annual winter meeting of the MSTA to held at the New Frontier Restaurant (1000 Woodbury Pike, Hopewell). The 26 m lightweight corrosion resistant fiberglass truss span replaces a wood and wire swinging bridge set decades ago and will provide MST hikers and other users with safe passage across Yellow Creek. All MSTA members and supporters are welcome and encouraged to attend.

John Stein, first MSTA Everett regional manager, saw the need for this bridge, and worked with additional volunteers Ron Stanley and Tom Kelliher to secure the initial funding. The project was brought to completion through the tenacious dedication and work of current Everett regional manager Debra Dunkle, seconded with technical support from MSTA Vice-President Peter Fleszar. Many and abundant kudos to them! The bridge was set 12/13/13. Also, special thanks to Randy and Gloria Smith, their parents Mildred and the late Ross Smith and George Snyder for graciously permitting the bridge to be placed on their property.

Funding assistance for Yellow Creek Bridge has been provided by the PA Recreational Trails Program, Federal Highway Administration, Pennsylvania DCNR Bureau of Recreation and Conservation.Structural Fiberglass Inc, Garry Goss, president provided a significant generous donation and some local businesses and individuals also helped the MSTA to meet the matching funds requirements. Over the years this project worked with PA Department of Transportation, Department of Environmental Protection each approving the necessary permits.
 Post Number: 9
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Nov. 12 2012, 9:23 am)
Wire rope?  That's kinda complicated but it's doable with bolt cutters.  As long as it's taunt.  There's also cable cutters for heavy gauge stuff, but I don't know if regular electric ones would work or not.  When it doubt, sawzall.

Wrap the area you are going to cut with layers of duct tape or electrical tape before cutting. Done it many times changing crane cables.
 Post Number: 10
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Or cut it with a grinder using a cutting disc or even a grinding disc would work.
9 replies since Nov. 08 2012, 8:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mid State Trail bridge out
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions