2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anyone planning trip to the mon forest in WV....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After the epic snow storm this area got a few weeks ago, be prepared to run in to closed roads, trails, downed trees, anything really.  The FS put up a notice today that lists well over half of the areas in the forest as limited, or no access.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mnf/alerts-notices/?aid=15500

Mind you the hunters and stuff in the next few weeks will probably help open up some of the main FS roads, but as far as trails, expect hiking to be very very tough, and maybe impossible is some areas for a good long time.

I have not been out personally to see the situation in the forest, but I plan to head out this weekend and maybe cut some wood, since most of the snow is gone now.  I'll try to report back on what I find.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is an update here.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not so much worried about the FS roads next year, as anyone with a chainsaw can clear that, but the trails are going to suck big time in some areas.  I know a few were in horrible shape after the June storm, and had not been cleared, now this.  The FS as slow as they work will take years to get to all areas.

I guess just more of a challenge ???
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was on a remote section of Roaring Plains in October and saw absolutely no effects from the June derecho. I guess it all depends on the location.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Nov. 17 2012, 4:32 pm)
I was on a remote section of Roaring Plains in October and saw absolutely no effects from the June derecho. I guess it all depends on the location.

Yeah that area didn't seem hit too bad.  I was over around Canaan Mtn. back in July when Arfcomhkr was camping over there, and there was no damage there either.

As far as this storm, I have a feeling it'll be more like some areas will be horrible, while some not affected, just depends on how the snow loaded up, and collapsed trees.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Went up to the top of Shavers this morning and when back in to Otter Creek trail head.  The main FS road has been plowed out with a bulldozer, and the trees cleared back far enough for vehicles to go through, as far as the top of Stuart Knob to the Radio towers.

The road from the intersection back into the trail head has not been plowed, but it had been cut clear of trees.  there are several spruce down in the parking area, and not cleared.  I did my good deed of clearing a few trees back further, as I was out getting firewood with the chainsaw :;):

There had been a FS vehicle back in to the lime station it looked like, and cut trees out of the road.  There were some very large spruce down between the gate and the foot bridge also that had been cut.

As far as the rest of Stuart Drive, there were tons of Spruce down across the top of the mountain, and a few smaller trees on the bickles knob side, all had been cleared.  The part of the road down near Stuarts park was horrible, huge 2' oak trees down, and were cleared just enough for a vehicle.

The FS will have fun in the spring clearing Stuarts Park, as it looked like a disaster area beyond the gate.

Some of the trees that ccame down were huge, I mean whole trees just uprooted, branches everywhere.  If this was minor damage, I'd hate to see the trails :(
 Post Number: 7
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a mess.  Too bad I live so far away as I could make good use of my saw and winch.

Not like I have anything better to do this winter. :p
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(arfcomhkr @ Nov. 18 2012, 5:14 pm)
Looks like a mess.  Too bad I live so far away as I could make good use of my saw and winch.

Well damn it you could move up the winter trip to December, I'm open before Christmas :;):
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jnk556 @ Nov. 18 2012, 5:56 pm)

(arfcomhkr @ Nov. 18 2012, 5:14 pm)

Well damn it you could move up the winter trip to December, I'm open before Christmas :;):

That's fine. When does deer rifle season go out?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, after the 8th of December we should be GTG in the nat forest in Randolph, and Pocahontas.  There is a muzzle loader season that ends the 8th, and buck season goes out on the 1st.

There is doe season, but you can only hunt those on private land in these counties.  Bear may be in, but I wouldn't say you'd see a lot of folks.....

I'll message you here in a bit on arf....
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll throw the chains in the back of the powerwagon, Maybe we can cut our way back up 235 and dump a few years worth of fire wood in that camp site. :)

Not sure if that gate at first fork is closed now though.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Watch Otter Creek during bear season. I know of quite a few folks who hunt bear in there.

Looks like a good snow pack still on up high but pretty bare down at Stuart Park.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Nov. 20 2012, 10:59 am)
Watch Otter Creek during bear season. I know of quite a few folks who hunt bear in there.

Looks like a good snow pack still on up high but pretty bare down at Stuart Park.

Actually there was no snow all the way across Stuart Knob, only snow pack I ran into was on the shady side of the mountain, and in the Spruce groves.  The road on up to Bickles, and just a bit below Bickles still had snow on it, but it's a shady spot.  That trail head back on Otter Creek doesn't seem to get sun in the winter, so it stays covered.
12 replies since Nov. 15 2012, 10:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anyone planning trip to the mon forest in WV....
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions