2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: STS and NCT in the ANF< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 12:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking to do a 5 to 6 day backpacking trip this spring somewhere in Pennsylvania north of I-80.
I've narrowed it down to the susquehannock or north country trail in the ANF since I've done a lot of the MST and Quehanna.
Has anyone here hiked both of these trails. I've only done a small portion of the NCT around tracy ridge which I liked a lot and nothing on the susquehannock.
What is the general maintenance level of the NCT? I've heard from others that the susquehannock is very well blazed and maintained.
Anyone know about drilling impacts on these 2 trails? I can't imagine finding decent campsites on either of these is much of an issue.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did a section of the NCT from Cherry Run rd. to Minister Creek a few years back.  We only lost the trail in one place.  It was only small, older oil wells when I was there.  That may have changed since then.
 Post Number: 3
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To my knowledge, STS has not been heavily affected by drilling.  More isolated than NCT, and it is a loop.  No shelters on the STS, NCT has a couple now.  You'll probably won't see anyone else on the STS.  There are also cross connectors now on the STS.

If you already have a taste of the NCT, give STS a try.
 Post Number: 4
partly cloudy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The NCT in the ANF is well marked and getting better. We have no Marcellus well pads that effect the trail. Numerous "traditional" well site are there. As of now, we have 3 shelters along the trail. Another planned for spring of '13. We do a good job attempting to keep up with the wind events and brush. The best reports we get are from hikers, then we get out to clear the trail in those reported locations.
 A 5 or 6 day hike will do most of the NCT in the ANF, if not all. Shuttle service is available if notified in advance. No re-supply close to the trail, but food caches are possible. Approx. 3 miles of road walk in the 100 mile section, the rest is in the woods. Camping anywhere you want, please practice LNT.

--------------
just another trail grunt in the forest
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where are the Shelters on the NCT?  If I remember what I have read on the internets  there is one a little east of the junction with the minister creek trail and one near the southern end of the trail in the ANF? Where is the 3rd one?
 Post Number: 6
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This one is east of Minister rd. a bit.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10095

Be sure to sign in. :p

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10104

LOL
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

mankind117  the shelters along the NCT in the ANF are::::
 Amsler Springs, 6.7 miles north of Rt 66 or 13.1 miles south of Kelletville.   N41 28 08.8 W79 11 59.0

Queen Creek Shelter,  11.2 miles north of Kelletville or 1.2 miles south of Fr 116  N41 39 14.4 W79 14 24.2

Hunter's Station Shelter ,  4.3 miles north of Minister Rd. or 5.8 miles south of Henry's Mills ( Rt 666 )  
      N41 38 59.0 W79 06 08.5

plans are for 3 more, soon to come.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did the shelter that was mentioned as being build in spring of 13 ever get built?
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

mankind117 the shelter you asked about was going to be north of Rt 6. This was never built, don't know if it ever will be.  3 shelters now,,, Hunter Station,, Queen Creek,, Amsler Springs.

--------------
8 replies since Nov. 16 2012, 12:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply STS and NCT in the ANF
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions