2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pinchot Trail- South Loop, A great weekend with beginners< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 11:26 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://endlessmountains.wordpress.com/2012....t-trail

I enjoyed a quick overnight this weekend on the PT, brought some beginners along.  This is an easy and diverse trail, with many forest types.  Weather was great, but it got cold at night.  We also took a side hike to beautiful Choke Creek Falls.  Camped at the awesome site on the ledge above Choke Creek, surrounded by hemlock and spruce.  The beginners had a great time and did well; they didn't overpack and I enjoyed helping them finish off some of their food.  

More pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49239558@N04/sets/72157632045689606/

Crossing a meadow

Amber reflection

Untitled

Choke Creek Falls

Hiking along Choke Creek
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am kicking myself that I never ventured to the falls while there, but I will on our next trip.

Did you guys filter the water and drink it or just carry in what you needed?  I wasn't sure if I could filter that water when we were there.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 3
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The water of Choke Creek is fine to filter, no problem.  It's just darker because it flows from swamps (decaying vegetation), it is not polluted.  In fact I think it is a trout stream.

The falls are beautiful, with a great swimming hole.  You need to check them out.  Easy 5-10 minute walk from the trail.
 Post Number: 4
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm pretty sure Choke Creek is a designated trout stream.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 5
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, good to know.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
4 replies since Nov. 19 2012, 11:26 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pinchot Trail- South Loop
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions