2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TO ALL PA HIKERS, Wear Orange< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
partly cloudy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 11:48 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Remember to wear blaze orange while tramping thru Penn's Woods. Bear season open last weekend and deer season on Monday, the 26th. Many more hunters in deer season. Most of the hunters are very good in recognizing their target, but, all we need is one to ruin a good day on the trail. Please be careful.

--------------
just another trail grunt in the forest
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Note: Deer season has been open for a while.  It's rifle/buck season now.  In two weeks the frenzy will die down and only real hunters (those looking to fill the freezer) will be out.  Much, much safer--but wear orange anyway :)

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 3
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Will be out this weekend for a much needed trip.  Will be wearing something orange.  How much does one wear?  Is a hunter orange hat enough?

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

no_granola  your right about the season has been open for a while. The busiest days are the first day of deer season Nov. 26, and the first Saturday, Dec 1. Many who never shot a gun or go into the woods all year are out on those days.  The rest of the season, and late season, are more for the experienced hunters that respect the woods and other people. ( no offense meant to anyone if I step on your toes )

hikingFF77 I have a large orange stetson that is like a beacon in the woods. I have seen others that use an orange bandana or pack cover. Just make it visible 360 degrees.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an orange vest that I put over my pack and I wear an orange hat.  More is better.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good idea... and ,, you bet,, MORE IS BETTER

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Rifle season opened here in the lower Catskills last Monday. That same day the first hunter was shot...and killed...by his hunting buddy. 'Mistook' him for a deer...!!

No orange...?? Then I guess you're a deer...!!
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How does someone mistake anyone for a deer?  Even drunk you got to know better.

I'll look into getting another accessory to make me more visible.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Nov. 30 2012, 2:15 pm)

It's all about the definition of "deer".  For most people, it's a particular brand of cervid.  For a few rotten apples, it's anything that moves.
 Post Number: 10
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 30 2012, 2:44 pm)

(hikingFF77 @ Nov. 30 2012, 2:15 pm)

It's all about the definition of "deer".  For most people, it's a particular brand of cervid.  For a few rotten apples, it's anything that moves.

There are no "orange" requirements in NY so many hunters simply wear their camo.  It's probably a lot easier to 'mistake' a hunter for a deer if he's wearing brown camo.

I was out barking in the corn this morning and the guys at the bottom of the farm were clearly visible to me (as was I to them) at over half a mile away.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We were lucky this weekend, saw plenty of hunters in their bright orange and none of them pointed a gun at us.  Although I'm sure some wanted to since the four of us aren't the most quiet when we get together.  But we were our orange just to be safe, had one group of older hunters say, "hope you don't get shot".  Not the greatest of conversations, but what do you expect?

--------------
 Post Number: 12
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I expect more folks to consider the odds of getting shot by a hunter are still quite slim. I wonder how they compare with getting struck by lightning?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 13
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Blaze orange also helps hunters see you in the background of their intended target.  We like to say "be sure of your target and beyond" but there is only so much a human can see "beyond" the target.  The law might impose strict liability on the hunter even if the hunter couldn't see you, but you'd be dead.  So better to be cautious and give a hunter every reasonable opportunity to avoid a mistake.
 Post Number: 14
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just don't understand the reluctance to wear orange when afield when there are more hunters than anyone else in the woods. They outnumber unarmed hikers, and like us enjoy the woods while at least partly substituting for the top predators we can't live with.
 Post Number: 15
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Dec. 03 2012, 10:58 am)
We were lucky this weekend, saw plenty of hunters in their bright orange and none of them pointed a gun at us.  Although I'm sure some wanted to since the four of us aren't the most quiet when we get together.  But we were our orange just to be safe, had one group of older hunters say, "hope you don't get shot".  Not the greatest of conversations, but what do you expect?

Any hunter worth their salt would actually want you to be really loud and obnoxious.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Dec. 09 2012, 8:52 am)
Any hunter worth their salt would actually want you to be really loud and obnoxious.

Yes, yes please. Make lots of verbal noise, please wear bright orange, and don't be all cranky-pants about it. Hunters are out to shoot food, not hikers. They don't taste good...all stringy and fatty and stuff.   :p
 Post Number: 17
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bad thing is, there are a lot of sound hunters out there. They hear something in the brush but can't see so they shoot in the general direction hoping to hit something. The blaze orange will hopefully show through openings in the brush enough to keep a person from being shot. I used to hunt and always wore lots of orange while on the move. Sometimes I'd take it off while I was sitting in an area and not moving but still would have it visible next to me on the ground or hang a piece off a branch above my head.
 Post Number: 18
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Penn's woods are safe again until after Christmas.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dec 26 is the beginning of round 2, folks.

This PSA has been brought to you by . . . ummmm . . . me.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the PSA, but I won't be in the woods until Spring unless I'm lucky enough to get out.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Dec. 23 2012, 10:00 am)
Dec 26 is the beginning of round 2, folks.

This PSA has been brought to you by . . . ummmm . . . me.

When does this latest round end?

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MLK weekend, oddly enough...
 Post Number: 23
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 7:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok so I need my blaze orange for that weekend. Simple enoigh

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
22 replies since Nov. 25 2012, 11:48 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TO ALL PA HIKERS
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions