2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Black Forest Trail Trip Report, fiasco averted< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 1:31 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Based on advice from this Forum, my friend Matt and I set out for our 6th Annual Thanksgiving Weekend trip on the Black Forest Trail on Friday afternoon. The other folks who sometimes accompany us had obligations so it was just the two of us.

We planned on hiking the North Loop and it took us considerably longer to reach the trailhead than we expected, so we didn't get started until well after 3 PM. This meant descending to the first night's camp in the dark. I'm not sure how we managed to see all the blazes but we stayed on course. Prior to it getting dark, the scenery was outstanding.

When we reached the first campsite by the waterfall, we were more than ready to stop. I unpacked my tent and discovered that the poles I brought did not match the tent. Yikes! I tried to configure a tarp out of the fly with no luck. It had been drizzling when we left the car but the rain seemed to have stopped. I decided to risk sleeping outside until it started pouring while we fixed supper. I got my pad and sleeping bag into Matt's tent before they got soaked. Matt's tent is rated as a 2 person but it barely fits just him and he can't even sit up in it when he's by himself. I should mention we both snore (a lot). The wind picked up, the temperature dropped and it began to snow a little -definitely preferable to the rain. Our campsite was probed by all manner of critters through the night including coons, a couple of deer and we think a fox. Between the tight fit, the snoring and the wind, neither of us got much sleep. We got up later than planned and we're appalled to see a sign that said the area around our site was closed to camping.

Over breakfast we decided that if we continued on the loop as planned, after 11 miles we would end up pulling into camp in the dark again which neither of us cared to do. Also since it is a 10 hour drive from home, we planned on spending a 3rd night fairly near the car along the County Line Branch. We also agreed that the prospect of three nights in Matt's sardine-can tent was not a great choice. We decided to back track, taking our time and camp at our original Day 3 destination and do some day hiking if there was time. We had missed some of the scenery in the dark anyway. It turned out to be a good choice.

There was a dusting of snow when we left camp and it snowed and sleeted with intervals of sun through the morning and early afternoon.

We found a choice campsite in a clearing in a pretty hemlock forest about 50 yards from County Line Branch. By then it started snowing in earnest. After setting up camp, including another aborted attempt at creating a tarp, we got our water pumped before the filter froze. We spent the remainder of the afternoon wandering in the area and collecting the driest firewood we could find.

The hunters must be doing a decent job controlling the deer population because there were lots of young hemlocks.

We had a nice evening watching the snow with the moon peeking out from time to time.

As we contorted ourselves into the tent it was tough to keep the snow out and of course it melted inside the tent. It all funneled downhill to our feet and since I have a 3/4 length sleeping pad, the bottom of my sleeping bag was soaked in short order. I didn't get cold and all things considered, I slept okay. We broke camp early Sunday and walked back the car in a couple of inches of fresh snow.

Despite cutting the trip short and the less than optimal sleeping conditions, we had a blast. The Black Forest is a beautiful area and the hiking/backpacking possibilities appear to be endless. We will be back -with friends. Thanks to everyone on this Forum who suggested this to us for our Thanksgiving Trip. Mighty fine advice indeed!

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All things considered sounds lie a nice trip. I'm sure you learned a few things for the next trip.

Thanks for posting

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like microspikes might have been in order, especially on the BFT gradients. I didn't even know it would be snowing up there.
 Post Number: 4
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics and report.  Glad you liked the BFT, it is a fine trail.  Please come back.
The snow looked nice, we only had a dusting Saturday night on the Standing Stone Trail this weekend.
 Post Number: 5
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good lord, been down that road with things forgotten/not prepared perfectly.  But it normally leads to a good story in the end.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 6
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

*Sigh*, reminds me of my failed thru-hike attempt with No Granola on which I bailed for back injury.

I long to finish this sucker one day.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did no_granola finish?

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, his back was hurting him as well the day before.  The day I bailed he said he thought he felt better, but still ended with me.  He was either happy to have a way out or took pity on me.   :)

Then I got lost trying to get a beer with him after and ended up inadvertently ditching him.  I'll be lucky if he talks to me again.  :p
 Post Number: 9
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was a mutual bail.  I struggled pretty badly that first day--just couldn't go uphill.  I got out last weekend and did much better with more weight in my pack--not quite the same incline though.  Guess I'm just getting old.

I'd still talk to you.  You did miss out on a helluva brisket sandwich though.  That thing was no joke.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn, I knew that place would have good food too!  I ended up at the Williamsport McD's, then got caught in the parking lot that was 15 south due to construction right past there.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wait, you couldn't plow up a hill?  That's not the guy I know.  Must have been hurting or the universe was out of place.

What restaurant was this?  I love a good Brisket sandwich.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

we should schedule a redo soon.  FF7, you should come too.
 Post Number: 13
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to give it another shot but it's going to be a few weeks before i can get out.  I think I sprained my toe this morning and it's swelled up pretty good.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouchy.  Yeah, lets let the coldest of the weather pass first.  I'm pretty timid in freezing conditions.  :)
 Post Number: 15
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer the cold weather actually--this is the best hiking season for me.  But it ain't gonna happen right now.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where's the restaurant with the brisket sandwich?
 Post Number: 17
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The inn at slate run: nice barmaid, good food and cold beer.

--------------
16 replies since Nov. 26 2012, 1:31 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Black Forest Trail Trip Report
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions