2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Standing Stone Trail, A thru-hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 4:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Day 1

23 miles

This is the northern section of the SST; the total trail is 79 miles long.  Amanda and Kevin joined me.  SST famous for its rocks, but also its amazing views and geological features.  The weather was awesome with deep blue skies.  The views were endless.  The new trail through Rocky Ridge was first-class as it meandered between outcrops with views.  The sinkholes and disappearing creeks were fascinating.  This was an excellent section of trail with many superb features.  There was even an Amish horse and buggy, tied to a tree waiting for its owner, who was hunting.  The trail here has many new signs, including two signs indicating campsites.

http://endlessmountains.wordpress.com/2012....l-day-1

Pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos....0543789

Rising sun at Stone Valley Vista

Misty Big Valley

Sausser's Stonepile

Tied up horse with carriage, the Amish owner was out hunting

Rocky Ridge Natural Area
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics and trip report...I'm looking forward to Day 2 and the rest. What a great trail!

A few years ago, on a Thanksgiving trip, I had a similar experience with Amish hunters.
 Post Number: 3
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

23 mile day, backpacking, in short daylight, taking great shots on the way, starting out crossing over Stone Mountain which for ordinary people is classified as an 8 hour day hike, then continuing more than twice as far - impressive!
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pete, trust me, as you'll read, I'm paying the price now.  We did three 21+ mile days, by day 4, some injuries began to surface as I hobbled to Cowans Gap.  Amanda and Kevin were the first to camp each night, they are hiking machines.
 Post Number: 5
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful looking hike.  Looking forward to the rest.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 6
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know you'll probably get to the section but I was planning to do a 3 day trip a couple of years ago but Pete warned me that part of it had been heavily logged and the trail was not all that discernable through that section. It went through a SGL. Has that been fixed? My hike was to be 20+ miles so it may well have been in your first day.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
kls1891 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Nov. 27 2012, 10:51 am)
I know you'll probably get to the section but I was planning to do a 3 day trip a couple of years ago but Pete warned me that part of it had been heavily logged and the trail was not all that discernable through that section. It went through a SGL. Has that been fixed? My hike was to be 20+ miles so it may well have been in your first day.

Probably through SGL 112 around the double power line area.  I believe that was somewhere around 17-20 miles in.  There was no active logging going on, however, there were quite a few trees that looked like they had been tagged for future logging.  We didn't have any issues discerning the trail in that area.

-Kevin
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Could there have been a re-route? I had heard that it was pretty well wrecked.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 9
kls1891 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Nov. 27 2012, 2:33 pm)
Could there have been a re-route? I had heard that it was pretty well wrecked.

That certainly could have been the case.  My understanding is that there have been quite a few route changes over the last few years.

I can tell you that as of last weekend the trail was well marked and easy to follow for the duration of the hike.

-Kevin
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MrH-

The SST has been extensively re-routed along Rocky Ridge, it is a significant improvement and a pleasure to hike.  No logging problems on this hike like my prior hike a few years ago.  Trail was clear except for the sporadic blowdown.  Two designated campsites had signs off of Frew Rd.  The trail was in good shape from Greenwood Furnace to PA 655, it would make for a fine weekend backpack.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The bad area a couple of years ago in SGL 112 was moved onto a logging road that repeatedly cut the previous trail route, turned out to be a simple solution. SST continues to make progress.

(And Jeff perhaps remembers I had to bail off a hike with those folks in a lot easier terrain than Stone Mountain!)
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not looking at a map. Is Rt 655 at 1,000 steps? That was my initial plan, SOBO from Greenwood to there.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 13
PAHiker2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1,000 Steps is at Rt. 22

The 655 crossing is about 10 trail miles north of 1,000 Steps.

Greenwood to 655 = 20 mile overnight
Greenwood to 1,000 steps = 30 mile overnight or two nights

PM me if you go and need a shuttle.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple caveats for those of us who might read maps literally:

Although what people usually refer to as "PA 655" in the SST context is the otherwise unremarkable crossing at Fousetown (barely a wide spot in the road between Mill Creek borough and Allensville), the SST also encounters PA 655 at Mapleton (both routes share the Juniata River bridge) which might confuse by 12 trail miles.

The parking lot at the Fousetown PA 655 crossing is not quite at the crossing, it's slightly north of the crossing on east side of the road, then down a gravel lane not easily visible from the road at normal speed.

Also the SST actually crosses US 22 at Motel 22, not the Steps (although there is a pie in the sky proposal for a tunnel below the steps, to reroute from the scenic old dinkey grade above the road, to the poison-ivy mud filled former canal bed below the road). The wide spot for the Thousand Steps trailhead is below a short side trail. (That only confuses by 2 trail miles.)
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://endlessmountains.wordpress.com/2012....l-day-2

Day 2 on the SST.  Covered almost 22 miles.  This section revealed the biggest climbs, awesome views, and the most history.  Views from Throne Room were impressive and I was lucky to catch a sunset from Butler Knob after a cloudy afternoon, it was breathtaking.  We slept through a windstorm that night, thankfully, we stayed in the new, and impressive, Butler Knob Shelter.  

For future hikers, there are really no services in Mapleton, although you might be able to camp in the town park along the river with permission.  A pizza shop that was there had closed.

Enjoy.

Pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos....1783818

Breathtaking Clarks Vista

Inside the dinky house

1000 Steps

Untitled

Throne Room Vista

Sunset from Bulter Knob

Our home for the night- Butler Knob Shelter
 Post Number: 16
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice.  Glad to see this trail in a TR, to be honest, I'd probably have never even looked it up.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wish I, or at least my knees, were younger.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 18
hoosier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice TR Jeff.

The hall of the Mountain King can be an interesting place to negoiate during the warmer months. One of the few time I heard a Rattlesnake before seeing it.

And the view from the Throne Room is great.
 Post Number: 19
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never heard of this trail and now I'm getting more interested in it.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More info about the trail, including maps:

http://www.hike-sst.org/
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hoosier,

I once crossed Hall of the Mtn King in summer and there were two rattlesnakes, one in the yellow/green phase.  They rattled but were otherwise docile.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Day 3

21 miles

http://endlessmountains.wordpress.com/2012....l-day-3

This was the day we roadwalked across a scenic valley with farms and meadows.  Three Springs was a nice town and a good respite.  It had 3 restaurants and a gas station.  Highlights included the views and talus slopes that surround Monument Rock.  Enjoy.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pizza Star 2
Pizza Star 2, Three Springs

Three Springs, PA
Three Springs

Monument Rock
Monument Rock, photo courtesy of Youngvine

View from Monument Rock in snow squall
Snow squall at vista.  Photo courtesy of Youngvine.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Day 4

Approx. 14 miles

http://endlessmountains.wordpress.com/2012....l-day-4

The final day, bringing an end to the hike.  It was a great experience, although the trail took its toll.  The last day featured stiles over fences and fields, great views, rock outcrops, and historical Vanderbilt's Folly.  The hike ended at Cowans Gap Lake as it glistened in the sun.  The trail ends at the Tuscarora Trail.   It was a rewarding experience. This last day was about 14 miles.

My achilles is feeling better, as is my knee.  The achilles was swollen for a few days.

Thanks for coming along on the journey.  Enjoy.

Pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos....1554690

Stile time!

Crossing the valley

Ancient culvert at Vanderbilt's Folly

Big, slanting rock outcrops

Many views

Sun and views

Cowans Gap Lake

The end (the trail is 79 miles)

The trip ends as it began- in the sun
 Post Number: 25
PAHiker2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a link to my Flickr set of photos from an early November 2012 backpack from Greenwood Furnace SP to 1000 Steps on the SST.

I hope to do the rest of the trail sometime soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30816868@N08/sets/72157632146036365/
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't even know about the stiles as I haven't yet been on the new route between the Narrows and Ramsey Path, will really have to walk that relocated section sometime. Stiles are tougher to build than they look, the ground is rarely flat near where they are to be set.

The portion in Fulton County has almost entirely been moved vs. its route as of even 6 years ago.

Up towards Meadow Gap one tract of private land was acquired by the State Forest. At some point perhaps Map 4 will be updated to reflect this as Map 3 was. It is also possible all the maps will disappear in favor of a printed map to support the SST Club.
 Post Number: 27
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just did the Greenwood furnace to the bottom of the steps last month (actually saw a thru hiker on the trip). I've done a short overnight with the southern part using the SST and TT from Cowan's gap. What is the mileage from the Bulter knob shelter to the next "legal" camping site? I want to finish the trail. Looking at the map it doesn't look like there is a legal place to camp between the shelter and the state forest land south of vanderbilt's folly. I guess this is one of those trails you would have to stealth camp on the game lands?
 Post Number: 28
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking at the maps again, is that a small sliver of state forest land south of route 475
 Post Number: 29
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a small tract of Rothrock at the top of Meadow Gap, from the road to about a tenth of a mile south of the powerline.  When I was there with the SATC in February, we took a future relo, which will put the north end of the forest lands just past as you descend east side of the powerline clearing.

Nice trip report.  I hope you liked Cove Mountain even with your knee.  That's my favorite section of the SST, or at least those I've hiked.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cove Mtn was great, cool rock outcrops, pine forests, nice views.  Much more rugged than I expected, although I shouldn't have been that surprised.  I think it is more rugged than Stone Mtn., although it is shorter in distance.
35 replies since Nov. 26 2012, 4:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Standing Stone Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions