2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How does anyone really get lost in Otter Creek?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 8:45 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

jnk556 sent me a news link about a couple that somehow called 911 from in there Saturday night.
http://www.wboy.com/story....-county

No details.  They'd almost have to have been up on one of the ridge tops to get a cell signal.

I can only speculate that they went in there day hiking, ran out of daylight and panicked.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

arf,

I agree on your assumption but will throw in that if there is significant storm damage from Sandy that it could be a bit tricky finding one's way. Ridge top would mean either Shavers Mt. or McGowan Mt. most likely. The trails on Shavers can be a bit confusing around the old shelter site. McGowan shouldn't have been a problem. Maybe we'll get more details.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 3
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They must not have visited my site:)

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We almost got lost down there.  Now keep in mind, we were going off of maps but didn't have a compass with us, stupid on us and has never happened since.

It can be confusing, the trails are not really marked, at least the part we were in and there are several trails at junctions that can lead to questioning which path to take.  Plus most of our trips up until the time we went there were out and back trips, this one we tried to do a multiple day trip and didn't really do our research well enough to calculate mileage, etc.

Ironically enough we ran into some other hikers on that same trip, from the area, who weren't even remotely sure where they were but felt that the way they were traveling was the right direction.  It's very overgrown in places and there's not the normal things that you can point out to remember where you were and where you are going.  I can see it being easy to get lost.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hikingFF77, what trail where you on that caused you problems?
 Post Number: 6
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did hear a report on the news this morning, the couple was found safe and sound, just to let you guys know.

I never thought, but maybe indeed they did get lost in some blowdowns.  I know the Parsons area was hit very very hard, as the road from Elkins to Parsons was closed 2-3days due to the shear amount of trees down, hell they are still clearing the right of ways now.
 Post Number: 7
Flexo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was up there last year and the trail on top of Shavers south of Mylius was extremely hard to follow in spots.  If there was storm damage I'll bet it would be even harder.  Toward the bottom on the south side there are a few old logging roads that look like the trail and with the leaves down could be easily mistaken for the trail.

Mylius trial has a few confusing spots with treefall blocking vision of the trail as well.  So yeah, I could see having issues there.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Over the years, I've hiked most of the trails in there except for the ones Parsons way, like Turkey Run and Big Springs. Never done Shavers from Mylius to 33.  Never ran into any problems cutting trail on the stuff that I've hiked.

I can see a problem now with all the new blow downs now though.  That may take them years to clear, if they do at all, being a wilderness area.
 Post Number: 9
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Flexo @ Dec. 11 2012, 11:38 am)
I was up there last year and the trail on top of Shavers south of Mylius was extremely hard to follow in spots.  If there was storm damage I'll bet it would be even harder.  Toward the bottom on the south side there are a few old logging roads that look like the trail and with the leaves down could be easily mistaken for the trail.

Mylius trial has a few confusing spots with treefall blocking vision of the trail as well.  So yeah, I could see having issues there.

I was up there back in June across that part of shavers, and while some of it was a bit rough, I didn't find it too hard to follow, then again without leaves it could be a pain, plus blow downs....

I do know one thing, unless the FS does something about the beavers on the end of the Hedrick camp, they might as well abandon that trail, as the foot bridge over the creek is now submerged, plus the water is backed up over both approaches. Plus the water is over 4' deep in the middle where the footbridge is.  This was in June the driest time of the year too :(
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(arfcomhkr @ Dec. 10 2012, 1:18 pm)
hikingFF77, what trail where you on that caused you problems?

It was the Otter Creek Backpack as described by our very own on his website.  The Mylius Trail.

I'm sure it was my brother and I who were at fault, not anything else.  We were pretty inexperienced at map reading, the trail was very overgrown at the time of our hike and very washed out in parts.  We were kind of just winging it, I think we had a compass but I don't think one of us thought about bringing it out.  We made it to Otter Creek but took a left instead of staying right and just got turned around.  We made it to the area of Possession Camp on day 2 and headed back to the second Ford and camped there.

We're going to make it back there, I don't like being defeated by the trail.  We fought a severe summer thunderstorm that came out of no where once we hit the summit of Shavers Mountain on Day one.  Hunkered down there for the night and lost tons of time.

Amazing place for sure.  Just wasn't my normal out and back on the AT at the time.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 11
Hollowdweller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We got lost there one time.

This was back in the late 80's or early 90's before all the cool intraweb stuff like MrHyker.

We were doing the loop Mylius down to Otter Creek and then Posession Camp, Green Mountain, Shavers Mt back to Mylius.

Sometime after you pass thru those two big boulders we came to a place where there was a trail that had blue flagging on the trees.

It was a bit more obscure than the other trail but we thought it was where the trail turned up the hill and went on it.

Eventually it petered out to nothingness and we realized that we had taken a wrong turn.

It wasn't too thick so we figured if we just kept going uphill we'd intersect Shavers Mt.

It's been a long time ago but I think we came out on Shavers Mt  a bit before you get to the spring.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seeeeeeee, I'm not the only one.  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Hollowdweller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The fact that you can get decent maps with the topography on them now easily is a huge help.
12 replies since Dec. 10 2012, 8:45 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How does anyone really get lost in Otter Creek?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions