2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: SST GPX Files< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 5:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anybody got one to share? Planing on hiking the northern 20+ miles next year. I already checked the NEOH site. NADA!

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PAhikes has one available; he recently did a Mill Creek to Greenwood Furnace backpack.  (Though he did leave the SST at the Pole Trail, about 4.5 miles south of GFSP).

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a contact listed on the SSTC web site for GIS info requests
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys. Scott also has a circuit hike to the Stone Valley Vista that includes more of the SST. I can merge the two hikes in TOPO!. Do the the roughness of the northern 1o miles I'd like to do this over 3 days (5/10/5 miles) if camping is suitable and there is water available nearby. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 5
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hiked from Greenwood Furnace to the bottom of the thousand steps last month.  I don't think that doing it as a 5/10/5 will work. On the stretch from GF to route 655 you only have a span of a couple miles where you can camp in the middle. For the first 8 miles or so south from GF you are on a dry, rocky ridge. There were a few places you might have been able to put one or two tents down but this is as dry and rocky a ridgetop as you will find in PA.  Once you cross Allensville road after the Hawk watch you descend off the ridge and for the next several miles water is abundant and there are several places to camp. Two places are at the intersections of the SST with Frew Road. We camped very shortly after the 2nd crossing of frew road. There was a nice site with a fire ring there. After that though you are on the game lands and no legal camping.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had downloaded the maps from the SST site but can't find them now. Porobably easier to DL them again.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man ... you're talking about where the Carbon Tr comes down to Frew Rd?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 8
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, we camped where the Carbon trail comes down to Frew Road, may about 500 to 1000 feet from the road. You can't miss the site. There is a sign that says campsite and a big fire ring. We were going to camp at the site that Scott Adams camped at in his description but we wanted something a little more sheltered as it was quite windy.  
Another possibility you will come to earlier if doing the trail southbound is before the first crossing of frew road, (the part that borders the natural area). We did pass another campsite sign but didn't take the time to walk the short ways up the hill to check out that campsite.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think Jmitch used that one a while back. I think it's supposed to be in a grove of Hemlocks.

Would there be room to camp at the intersection with the Pole tr? That's about 4.5 miles in and would break up the rocky section.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 10
PAHiker2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As Mankind117 stated, camping on Stone Mtn. is very limited and all are dry. If you are hammocking you only have to deal with the dry part. If you are tenting ,then, just south of the Turkey Tr. junction there are spots for a couple tents before the rocks start. After that there are a couple spots before the powerline crossing that are flat and rock free enough for a couple tents. Between the powerline and the Pole Tr. junction it would be possible to camp under the hemlocks at Hidden Vista, there was no evidence that anyone had ever done so, but it looked like it could be done. The Pole Tr. junction might allow a couple tents (not sure how rocky the ground was) but nothing inviting. South of there I remember one spot that looked OK before Little Vista and then there is Happy Valley south of Willies Window. That is about it before Martin's Gap and sites with water.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How many tents do you thing we can get in the Hemlocks at Hidden Vista? I assume that is the view between the powerline and Pole Tr. I like camping under Hemlocks. Is Turkey Hill Road driveable up to Pole Tr?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 12
PAHiker2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will walk up there over break to take a look so I can give you an accurate estimate. Turkey Hill Rd. is driveable to Pole Tr.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Much appreciated.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 14
kls1891 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 7:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got the full set of GPX files from our thru hike a few weeks back.  PM me your email and I'll get them over to you.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Use the "contact us" button on my website.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
14 replies since Dec. 10 2012, 5:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply SST GPX Files
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions