2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What trails to dayhike in the MNF this weekend?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
arfcomhkr Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 3:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Going to be base camped somewhere up Little River.  Figure on crossing a few more of the obscure trails in there off the list Friday and Saturday.  

Lynn Knob is one, and maybe Burner Mountain.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We can do county line trail as well....
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jnk556 @ Dec. 11 2012, 5:00 pm)

Yeah, we'll have to drive a truck back up 183 and drop another back on Elk Snort (or whatever it is)  :) at the gas well up from Wildell to do that one.
 Post Number: 4
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done Lynn Knob but there are a couple old trails in the area that I haven't.  There's Hinkle Run and Span Oak trails as well. The Middle Mt. area is a bit problematic because it's hard to link up trails without a bunch of road walking.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(arfcomhkr @ Dec. 11 2012, 6:27 pm)

Yeah, we'll have to drive a truck back up 183 and drop another back on Elk Snort (or whatever it is)  :) at the gas well up from Wildell to do that one.

I think you mean Snorting Lick Run :D  The other end can be accessed off of Beulah Tr.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vdeal @ Dec. 11 2012, 8:36 pm)

(arfcomhkr @ Dec. 11 2012, 6:27 pm)

I think you mean Snorting Lick Run :D  The other end can be accessed off of Beulah Tr.

Yeah, it's Snorting Lick Run, FR35, I think. I know it well.  Bent the bumper on my truck up in there once. The name  escapes me sometimes though. :p

The next run South that has a road on it I think is Elk Lick. IIRC it's gated or has since been sown to cover.  I don't quite remember.  One of them comes up close® to the Cabins and is (was) sometimes open.
 Post Number: 7
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think we may end up and do Lynn Knob, and Hinkle.  They both run into the FS road there at Little River, so we could do one Friday, and one Saturday, or both in one day, depends on how energetic we are :laugh:

Of course this all depends on tree damage.  If it's going to be a complete mess we'll find something else.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 8:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, we hiked Lynn Knob Friday. It was in pretty good shape.  Most of the blow downs up there were from the summer storm and already had holes cut through them.  Followed some bear tracks in the snow on it for a ways.

Saturday, we just hiked the loop road. It's abandoned after you get past the fork that goes back towards the Sinks.  It's actually very pretty once you drop down into the spruce and gain the headwaters of Little River.

The trailhead at Hinkle Run  on Little River is no longer marked.  Don't know if it's abandoned or if someone just used the signs for firewood.

All of the FS roads that I drove in there were pretty much cleared of trees.  FR44 from Glady to Little River, Little River Road, Middle mountain seemed open, but I only drove a section of that.  Elklick Run road had the gates open and was clear from 44 to Middle Mountain.

We had the place all to ourselves except for a few trucks full of bear dogs on Saturday.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

arf,

Thanks for the update.

--------------
8 replies since Dec. 11 2012, 3:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What trails to dayhike in the MNF this weekend?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions