2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: MST-Little Pine SP to Woolrich, Cracking?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 8:55 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had this scheduled a couple of years ago but changed to another venue when reports from these forums noted a lot of gas well related work going on. How are things there now? I have room in next year's schedule for one more outing.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oooops! I meant to say fracking.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 3
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes there is still fracking in that area including another pending relocation.

You could do Section 17 (Blackwell to 287), no fracking there along trail although you can see it from the Haunted Vista. Trail there has settled in since Scott's trip 6 years ago ( link ), although I would recommend running in same direction (southbound) and coming over Fork Hill as he did to look down on Gillespie Point.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PAHikes2 was telling me off line that the RGS has been cleared and is once again ready for foot travel. Sounds tempting. There's also 3 segments of the MST between R. Winter SP and Joe Hays Vista (rt 26). Is most of Tussey Mt between Indian Wells and Jack's Tr as rocky as Jacks trail or can we expect easier tread? We'd, of course, would start that one ar Penn Roosevelt SP just so I could round down my favorite RR grade in PA.

Scotts section is morth of Blsckwell?

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All of the MST on Tussey Mtn (sections 2 through 8 except north part of 5, and 6) is rocky (except for the boring parts on SGL management roads in the south).

Yes Reeds Gap Spur has been re-cleared, no fracking there and a bit closer to you. The Poe Paddy end is a long drive on forestry roads any way you slice it.

Blackwell to 287 is indeed north of Blackwell. Here's more pix from Jeff who laid out most of this section: Stony Fork along MST
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice! Stony Fork reminds me of Rock Run.

It seems like every time I get close to putting a dent in the PA backpacking trail system you guys are either building, extending or rehabbing more for me to hike ... and I and my body keep getting older. Now STOP IT!!!

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I mean rocky like Stone Mt on the SST? I've hiked most of the MST from Little Flat to US 322 and was OK with it.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 8
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MST from 287 to Blackwell is very nice.  Great combination of views, swimming holes, waterfalls, big rocks.  Stony Fork is similar to Rock Run.  While the OLP is along Rock Run for a fairly short distance, the MST spends more time along Stony Fork.  Definitely include Fork Hill vista on your hike, as well as the views from the east rim of the PA Grand Canyon.

I've hiked parts of RGS, and it has some cool sections.  Try to tie in the White Mtn trail, I remember there being an immense mtn laurel jungle and some nice views at the eastern end.
 Post Number: 9
PAHiker2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Dec. 13 2012, 2:02 pm)
PAHikes2 was telling me off line that the RGS has been cleared and is once again ready for foot travel. Sounds tempting. There's also 3 segments of the MST between R. Winter SP and Joe Hays Vista (rt 26). Is most of Tussey Mt between Indian Wells and Jack's Tr as rocky as Jacks trail or can we expect easier tread? We'd, of course, would start that one ar Penn Roosevelt SP just so I could round down my favorite RR grade in PA.

Scotts section is morth of Blsckwell?

I am not sure which trail you are referring to as "Jacks Tr " where you are asking about the rockiness between Indian Wells and Jacks Tr.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jack's Trail stays on the ridge where the MST goes down to a valley for water and camping. It comes out at Jo Hays Vista.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 11
PAHiker2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, that is actually Jackson Trail.

From Jackson Tr. to Indian Wells I would say the trail is 50% rocky like Jackson Tr. and 50% not quite as rocky as Jackson trail. Especially towards Indian Wells where there are quite a few areas that are relatively rock free.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think continuing to clear the White Mtn Ridge trail off of Reeds Gap Spur is on the schedule for next year. My trip to Poe Paddy this year was abbreviated by the limit of a 9 yo's tolerance for trail work. :)
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 9:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is another link to pix of 287 to Blackwell and on to Little Pine, although you might need to deal with the evil blue empire to see it: pix from Facebook
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Dec. 15 2012, 8:43 am)
I think continuing to clear the White Mtn Ridge trail off of Reeds Gap Spur is on the schedule for next year. My trip to Poe Paddy this year was abbreviated by the limit of a 9 yo's tolerance for trail work. :)

Here does the White Mt Tr go? It is barely on the MST map of the area. According to NG software it is part of the RGS.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Dec. 15 2012, 9:08 am)
Here is another link to pix of 287 to Blackwell and on to Little Pine, although you might need to deal with the evil blue empire to see it: pix from Facebook

Can't access them.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The MST crosses SGL 75 on Section 16 between Little Pine State Park and Blackwell. Note following release from PA Game Commission:

BOARD APPROVES RESTRICTED SURFACE OIL/GAS AGREEMENT
The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today approved a restricted surface use oil and gas cooperative agreement involving a portion of State Game Land 75 in McHenry and Pine townships, Lycoming County
Pennsylvania General Energy (PGE) Company, L.L.C., of Warren, requested the Game Commission offer its oil and gas ownership under an about 11,900-acre portion of SGL 75 for oil and gas development.
PGE currently is developing oil and gas rights on the state forest tracts south of the proposed tract and has infrastructure in place, including water and gas pipelines that will ease the surface burden of developing the SGL acreage.
In exchange for the oil and gas agreement, PGE will convey to the Game Commission a 6,200 acre tract of land, known as the Kinzua Tract, adjacent to SGL 62 in Keating Township, McKean County.
The primary term of the agreement is for 10 years, with a five-year provision for drilling the first well. If PGE does not meet its drilling commitment, the Game Commission may request the surrender of the 1,836 acre western portion of the tract at the end of the 10 years. The initial royalty rate for each well will be set at 18 percent, and will increase to 21 percent once payout costs are met.
The agreement also provides PGE with the right to utilize the surface of SGL 75 for drilling pads, access roads and pipelines to transport Game Commission-owned gas reserves at locations approved by the agency. PGE will adhere to the reclamation and revegetation requirements as specified by the agreement and Department of Environmental Protection’s (DEP) regulations.
PGE also has agreed to meet annually to discuss development and to solicit input and suggestions to protect wildlife and wildlife habitat.
Oil and gas development will be regulated by DEP’s Oil and Gas Regulations, the Game Commission’s Standard Restricted Surface Use Oil and Gas Development Agreement protection provisions and a $50,000 performance bond. The agreement will include the Game Commission’s standard wildlife and environmental protection measures.
15 replies since Dec. 12 2012, 8:55 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply MST-Little Pine SP to Woolrich
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions