2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fishing trip, taking older two boys< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tomas Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:27 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I would like to take my older two boys (11 and 10 y.o.) on a weekend fishing trip this spring. My thought is either a river float or an easy lake where we can canoe fish and have a base camp for a couple of nights. Both have learned to swim well enough that I'm comfortable with the idea and both enjoy fishing & camping.

Question is where. Needs to be flat water river for a float with pull-ins for tent camping. Or a lake that's not too huge 'cause it'll just be me paddling.

Can anybody recommend something in MD, VA, or WV? I'm willing to drive several hours with DC as a starting point.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Camp at rustic Spruce Knob campground and fish at Spruce Mt Lake (very small.) For lake fishing and car camping many of the PA state parks have stocked lakes: Giffort Pinchot, Poe Valley, Ricketts Glen (I'd take them there and do some hiking too.), R.B.Winters just to name a couple. It seems that almost every PA park has a lake.

Back to WV, Trout Pond SP has camping and a nice lake. There is an outfitter on WV 55/28 along theNorth Fork of the Potomac that rents canoes. He'll drop you off upstream and you can float back down. I've seen some huge trout come out of there. It's called something Eagle Outfitters.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You didn't mention PA, but check out the Juniata River.  Reasonable drive from DC.  Beautiful river, historic features, allowed to camp on several islands, one of PA's best fishing rivers.  Even I've caught fish there.  Tons of smallmouth and rock bass, some trout, lots of limestone influence. Few rapids.

It is #19 on this PA water trail map.  Also check out the Raystown Branch, which is smaller and more isolated.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails/trailindex.htm
 Post Number: 4
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MRHyker @ Dec. 13 2012, 3:42 pm)
Camp at rustic Spruce Knob campground and fish at Spruce Mt Lake (very small.) For lake fishing and car camping many of the PA state parks have stocked lakes: Giffort Pinchot, Poe Valley, Ricketts Glen (I'd take them there and do some hiking too.), R.B.Winters just to name a couple. It seems that almost every PA park has a lake.

Back to WV, Trout Pond SP has camping and a nice lake. There is an outfitter on WV 55/28 along theNorth Fork of the Potomac that rents canoes. He'll drop you off upstream and you can float back down. I've seen some huge trout come out of there. It's called something Eagle Outfitters.

http://www.eaglesnestoutfitters.com/

Been thinking about trying these guys for awhile. Anyone have any experience with them?
 Post Number: 5
dirtysocks Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should float the upper delaware river. I believe that with permits you can camp 3 nights on 3 different islands if you launch somewhere near the NY/PA border. The delaware goes through an impressive wild gorge up there. It is a trip that I want to make myself.  I'll see if i can find a link with more specific info.
 Post Number: 6
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 12:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I remember my dad took me on my first canoe/camp when I was ten.  I had an awesome time and begged him to take me whenever we had a good weekend.  Hopefully you have the same luck with your boys.  

Be ready for short attention spans.  Of course a lot of that probably just had to do with my ADD.
 Post Number: 7
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heh. My oldest has ADHD and the middle one Asperger's. So I'll be dealing with attention span issues, fixations, and the usual 10 & 11 year old stuff. That's what makes canoe/base camping so attractive - I can bring an assortment of 'stuff' to keep 'em busy.

But you know what? I can't wait.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 8
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It sounds great.  Have a blast.  Post some pics when you're back.  :)
 Post Number: 9
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.sb2w.org/quefamilyrec/

Quemahoning Reservoir is beautiful.  No motor boats permitted, campsites right on the water.  Family friendly.  No alcohol allowed.
8 replies since Dec. 13 2012, 3:27 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fishing trip
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions