2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Need help planning a trip< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 9:41 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need to organize a car camping trip. Suck I know but a few of my friends don't have the gear to do a traditional backpack

So I told them I'd put a trip together.

My requirements

1) A car camping site that is remote if at all possible. Something like that spot on the Old Loggers Path near Pleasant stream would be ideal. In fact it is one of the places I'm considering.

2) Day hikes in the area that are worth hiking and about 5-7 miles

3) few people

We will be doing this in March so the few people thing might be easy

3-4 hours from Philly which is what has me re-thinking the OLP as a choice.

I forget when is PA fire burning restrictions again. I seem to remember they are in the winter??? A camp fire will be a requirement as will drinking in moderation.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
JonW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately campfires are not allowed in state forests from March 1 until the end of May.

see below copied for a PA site:
Open fires are prohibited when the forest-fire danger is determined by the District Forester to be High, Very High or Extreme and from March 1 through May 25 and from October 1 through December 1 without authorization from the District Forester or a designee. This prohibition does not apply to small self-contained camp stoves when used in a safe manner.

See this link:  http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/info/dcnrfaq/forestryfaq.aspx#Campfire

These regulations are for State Forest property.  I do not believe they hold in State Parks.  However the issue there will be alchohol is not allowed in State Parks.

If you want to go far enough (the Allegheny National Forest) you can have both fires and alcohol.

I know central and western PA much better than eastern PA.  Masten on OLP is a good destination for remoteness and semi-primative camping.

If your friends are freeked out by the lack of toilets, then Masten would not be a good destination.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Green Ridge State Forest in MD should fit your bill well.  They have some very remote car camping sites, with plenty even near some good trail.  

It's about 3 and a half hours from philly according to google maps.
 Post Number: 4
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(aseege1 @ Dec. 17 2012, 2:29 pm)
Green Ridge State Forest in MD should fit your bill well.  They have some very remote car camping sites, with plenty even near some good trail.  

There is primitive car camping all along the route of this hike.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 5
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(aseege1 @ Dec. 17 2012, 2:29 pm)

Thanks this might work well.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 6
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In northern Huntingdon County, PA Rothrock State Forest has a number of remote car camping permit sites (permit I believe is still free) - a couple very good sites off of Frew Road offer good access to great parts of Standing Stone Trail just south of Greenwood Furnace State Park. Not all the sites are available online. One needs to call the Forestry office on the telephone weekdays to get the permit. (I know, how quaint.) 814 643-2340
 Post Number: 7
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Penn Roosevelt State Park- beautiful, isolated little park with primitive campground and small lake, nestled in the mountains.  Mid State Trail goes through it.  Several great hikes nearby.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepa....dex.htm

Masten is a good choice.

Keep in mind the Loyalsock State Forest as designated, primitive sites on a few forest roads.  Pleasant Stream Rd (near Masten) and Coal Mine Rd come to mind.  Coal Mine Rd has some nice sites and is close to a ton of great hiking.

Asaph Camping Area in Tioga State Forest.  Beautiful campground that is tucked away, close to several great hikes in PA Grand Canyon region.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/tioga/index.htm
 Post Number: 8
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Dec. 17 2012, 7:05 pm)
In northern Huntingdon County, PA Rothrock State Forest has a number of remote car camping permit sites (permit I believe is still free) - a couple very good sites off of Frew Road offer good access to great parts of Standing Stone Trail just south of Greenwood Furnace State Park. Not all the sites are available online. One needs to call the Forestry office on the telephone weekdays to get the permit. (I know, how quaint.) 814 643-2340

That PA fire ban will be a problem through. Think I need to head to MD to be able to keep the city slickers happy and warm.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 9
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It might be worth a call to see whether they consider the fire ban to apply in fire rings installed in a permit campsite, they might like those better than user created fire rings.
 Post Number: 10
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Dec. 18 2012, 8:34 am)
It might be worth a call to see whether they consider the fire ban to apply in fire rings installed in a permit campsite, they might like those better than user created fire rings.

I did call. it sounds like they would be a little flexible depending on the amount of rain or snow we've gotten.

They could not say one way or the other till about a week out.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 11
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If going to Masten, I believe Pleasant Stream Road is still washed out/closed.  jmitch got in from somewhere . . .

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 12
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Dec. 18 2012, 10:24 pm)
If going to Masten, I believe Pleasant Stream Road is still washed out/closed.  jmitch got in from somewhere . . .

Still?  Did it get fixed and wash out anew?  I think it's been three years now.
11 replies since Dec. 17 2012, 9:41 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Need help planning a trip
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions