2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 2013 PA Car Camping< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MRHyker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 12:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I plan on taking the wife on at least three car camping trips next year. I'll be doing some of the hikes in Jmitch's "Hiking the Endless Mountains" and some others that he's talked about here. I'd like to get oppinions on the quality of the camping facilities at:

1) Lackawanna State Park. Plan on doing 2 hikes close to the lake.

2) Laurel Hill State Park. Will hike in the park and through a section of forest on one day and the Roaring Run Natural Area on another.

3) Ricketts Glen. I'm very familiar with this park. I hope to hike the Beech Lake (i'd like to make it longer.) and White Gold circuits.

--------------
"Red is the color of the sun with my eyes closed." - Dave Matthews

Midatlantichikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1.  Nice campground, some sites are a bit close to each other.  Extensive trail system and many dayhiking opportunities.

2.  I really like this park.  Beautiful, secluded, near a lot of hiking in the Laurel Highlands.  But I didn't see the campground.

3.  Very nice campground, many sites are under hemlocks, but also very popular.

You should consider Worlds End SP, great campground, tons of hiking, and its near Forksville with some good places to eat.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mr H,

While at Lackawanna SP, you might want to check out these trails:

http://www.emnconline.org/cl_trails.php

There is a nice view, superb remains of the North Branch Canal, and a stunning bluebell display in May.  This is a section of the Susquehanna River famous for its beauty, sheer mountains rise over 1,000 feet above the water.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've stayed at Worlds End before and, as you know, hiked many of the trails in the vicinity as well as a backpack trip. We'll also be trying the Brunnerdale Rd. to Worlds End backpack this year. We got rained out last year. Thanks for the Endless Mountain Nature Center link. That really looks promising. It looks like it's down the road from your place.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 5
vdeal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As jmitch said, Laurel Hill is very nice. I've done part of the Roaring Run area and the Laurel Highlands trail in the area. Didn't see the car camping area.

--------------
"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's supposed to be huge - over 200 sites.

--------------

Midatlantichikes.com
 Post Number: 7
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you go to Laurel Hill you can stop at Mt Davis on the way up or back.  Good area for a day hike, was nicer than I was expecting.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 8
partly cloudy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

MRHyker  Down at Ohiopyle SP there is Kentuck Campgrounds. Don't know if they're open all year.  Check here,,, http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/ohiopyle.aspx  There is a short trail right from the campgrounds to Ohiopyle, over the Railroad bridge.

--------------
just another trail grunt in the forest
7 replies since Dec. 26 2012, 12:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 2013 PA Car Camping
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions